Buying a Chainsaw from the USA

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
Gadge
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .270Win

Re: Buying a Chainsaw from the USA

Post by Gadge »

No worries, Keith. I just had a re-read of Arfa's main import thread there, and he sourced a Honda mower from speedwaysales.com .

They carry Echo chain saws, and they're a great saw. They are still made in Japan too, I believe; though some assembly does take place in the US.

I have long history with Echo gear, and it has always been very well designed and built. My family owned a OPE/motorcycle business through the 70's and early 80's, so I got to attend a few Echo service schools, back when Mobilco was the Echo importer.

My own saw is a 1970's Echo CS601VL 60cc, that was a trade-in from a farm when the farmer wanted to upsize to the next model up, IIRC.
That thing has cut shedloads of old, dry, hard grey and yellow box firewood for my old man, and it's still going strong!

Just acquired a pair of Echo SRM200DB 21cc brushcutters, too. Why a pair? For $20 all up at the local tip shop, how could I go wrong! Couldn't get the coin out of my wallet fast enough. :D

Had one running within an hour of getting it home - and most of that time went in cleaning out the work of mud wasps from the muffler. It was chockas; they'd even filled the cylinder exhaust port with mud. Luckily the piston kept them out of the actual cylinder, though.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Gadge wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:50 am No worries, Keith. I just had a re-read of Arfa's main import thread there, and he sourced a Honda mower from speedwaysales.com .

They carry Echo chain saws, and they're a great saw. They are still made in Japan too, I believe; though some assembly does take place in the US.

I have long history with Echo gear, and it has always been very well designed and built. My family owned a OPE/motorcycle business through the 70's and early 80's, so I got to attend a few Echo service schools, back when Mobilco was the Echo importer.

My own saw is a 1970's Echo CS601VL 60cc, that was a trade-in from a farm when the farmer wanted to upsize to the next model up, IIRC.
That thing has cut shedloads of old, dry, hard grey and yellow box firewood for my old man, and it's still going strong!

Just acquired a pair of Echo SRM200DB 21cc brushcutters, too. Why a pair? For $20 all up at the local tip shop, how could I go wrong! Couldn't get the coin out of my wallet fast enough. :D

Had one running within an hour of getting it home - and most of that time went in cleaning out the work of mud wasps from the muffler. It was chockas; they'd even filled the cylinder exhaust port with mud. Luckily the piston kept them out of the actual cylinder, though.
Doesn't that piss you off after checking and cleaning everything else, then pulling your guts out, and finally thinking "Hmmmm......... :homer: I wonder if there is a blockage in the exhaust" :lol: :lol: Had some native bees make a nice little home in one of our gensets, that doesn't get used much, out at the brush camp. :x
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

I've bought 3 chainsaws 2nd hand and all have been rippers, all work fine and have cut shitloads of wood since owning them - might be an option for you Keith?

One of them cost me $25! :lol: (Jonsereds 621) and it is a great saw (heavy) but plenty of torque and starts usually 1st or 2nd pull.

The Stihl 029 Super cost me $400 at an auction and came with a post drill attachment which I sold to a lady at the action so only cost me $250 all up and my Husky 394 cost me $800 and is 94cc of awesomeness (boy does it smash through wood) and mainly use it on the big stuff that I come across every now and again.
dashooter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Wby Magnum's :)

Post by dashooter »

Is your 394 the one with the big top Scott? Am looking at grabbing one myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

dashooter wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:12 pm Is your 394 the one with the big top Scott? Am looking at grabbing one myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah mate it is the hi top one.