My first 'semi custom'.

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
r_j_t1982
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .204r

My first 'semi custom'.

Post by r_j_t1982 »

So here is the finished item first! I decided to go against most of the advice received and build the gun I want despite already having an accurate rifle. This is intended to be the basis of my 'forever' gun. I will be buying and building a second barrelled action in either in 7-08 or 308 to switch in and out of this stock depending on the intended use (Varmint or pigs/goats and Metallic Silhouette) The stock was finished with multiple layers of Z-Poxy Finishing Resin, final coat applied by wiping on with a cloth. Build details below.

My new rifle in semi finished stock as received just before Christmas. Build details: Rem700 action trued by Peter Van Muers, Timney trigger, fluted MADDCO barrel (26" modified No5 profile), PTG Steallth Obendorf DBM, Tasco Japan target scope, A3 style stock by Ken Noye with anschutz fore-rail and a Whidden V-block. All gunplumbing and cerakoting by Luke Easter of ProCal trading. Everything came together just as I wanted, I do think I should have chosen a slightly lighter profile barrel, the only headache encountered was in my gunsmith dealing with PTG - for the DBM

My first sighting target for this rifle. Breaking in the new MADDCO barrel with Hornady factory ammunition at 100m. Barrel was cleaned, (scope bore sighted and aligned by eye on a 500m gong) fired the first 2 sighting rounds (POI 6" low), cleaned and adjusted sights This is the first 5 round group fired in this barrel - promising. The flyer at low left was shooters error. 1" squares on this target.

Sighting in at 100m, Cold Bore, Clean Bore, with untested handloads. Shooting from the bench on a bipod and rear bag - I could use a benchrest type front rest and bag, but prefer to test it the way I intend to use it. My worst groups for the day were just under MOA including called flyers, average was probably 0.6"-0.7" Including my own errors. 1/2" squares on this target

Load development target fired yesterday, Range 100m, grids are 1/2" squares (Both groups were using 27.5gr of 8208 behind a 39gr Sierra Blitzking King, Rem 7.5 primers). NOTE published max load 27.3gr)

Load development target fired yesterday, Range 100m, grids are 1/2" squares (Left Group: 26.7gr of 8208 behind a 39gr Sierra Blitzking King, Rem 7.5 primers Right Group: 27.0gr of 8208 behind a 39gr Sierra Blitzking King, Rem 7.5 primers).
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: My first 'semi custom'.

Post by MISSED »

Nice very nice
The stock has come up a treat and looks very good with the metal work
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

I can't see were you list the chambering but I can work out the calibre!

And what advice did we give you that you ignored?
I would like to try to claim credit for giving you advice that you followed[FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]

Looks like going your own way has paid off handsomely. Nice rifle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Looks like a very handy varmiter indeed. Lots of potential there.
Stock looks good too.
Very nice set up.
Enjoy.
Cheers
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

trevort wrote:I can't see were you list the chambering but I can work out the calibre!
Factory Hornady ammo + 27gn powder charges. 39gn projectiles suggests .204 Ruger to me.

Looks like it is performing well already, and may well improve a little more with load tweaking and trigger time.

Marcus
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Sorry Marcus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222