Trevor's fold out table project (pic heavy)

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Trevor's fold out table project (pic heavy)

Post by HAIR BEAR »

G'day all
Well on sunday Trevor asked "if i could mount this board to this fold out tressel , Cut out a little section from this area ,and some wing nut thingie" !!
Well after helping trevor with some bore sighting at the range ,watchng him fumble around with allen keys , made me think on if wing nuts would be good option for him :D
But after thinking about it i taught i would try and make it fool proof , so here is the frist stages of this project ,and trevor can see whats going on too
well this is board 25mm thick pine ,just starting the rough cutting ,will be filling nail hole's and finish sanding when mounted and complete !
Well the top has been rough shaped !
now instead of just drill through the top and stuffing a coach bolt through ,with wingnuts ,i decided to put a steel insert into the back of the board ,but i did not want it to stick out so i rebated the timber to flush mount the steel insert !
steel is 50mmx6mm strap lay up for markong out the rebate it needs to go in
setting up the router to make the recces , i used a guide to keep these cuts straight
Now square up th corners of the recces and test fit the steel strap ,
Then its to the drill for the hole to secure the plate to the timber , using counter sunk screws , to keep every thing on the table flat !
i cleaned up the steel and painted it , while these where drying , i started making the bolts that will secure the top to the tressel , had some 25 mm hex brass bar ,and had some 8mm stainless rod , so this is the start of the bolts
one more pic to go , steel inserts ready painted and the custom bolts to keep things together
Wil have the board mounted by tomorrow , and should start the feet in the arvo !
any sugestions/input will be helpful
Hey trevor do you want all 4 legs made to be tent pegged down ? or just front ones ?
Andree
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

I thought i liked you when we spoke now I find out your a complete smart arse............. we could be good friends!

Now, your making me feel bad, its ok doing a favour but your going a bit overboard here, unless this is a prototype for a new business venture!

I'll be happy with what you give me but if you want to make this a schmicko prototype I thought of an addition. I would have thought it rude to ask but you want requests!

If you could put some scew threaded feet with flat bases thru the angle on the legs then you could level it on rough ground. But this would only be worthwhile if it was still able to be held steady and stable
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

looks the goods. Why the custom bolts? They certainly look nice but they must be time consuming to do. Still that said i think i answered my own question

Great stuff Andree
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

DrG, I think he is showing off!

Andree that is pretty soft wood and the feet of the rest will mark it. Dont waste your time finishing it. I was going to buy some of that carpet they sell by the metre in bunnings as hall mats, you know ugly tough stuff, and attach it to the top, screws, glue?
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

G'day trevor
Could not resist a shit stir :D
mate i was taught by my father to do the best i can !no matter what :D
Adjustable feet ! not a problem , but i need to make them, at work ,no material at home for them :D
I was going to put bolt through ,but with the bolt hanging out the back of the table,and tressel off ,it would catch on every thing ,so i used the idea off things like camera /spotting scope stands ! that way they bolts will be hidden on the tressel,
I will give the top of the table a good sanding ,so if you glue carpet on top it will stick better ,and staple the edge of the carpet

Andree
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Post by Simpson »

Sorry not sure if it is obvious, but what is the idea behind the steel plate? Why do you need it?

Cheers
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

G'day simpson
will be drilling and taping the steel plate ,with capitive bolts coming out of the tressel
Will take more pics ,when its together o show you

Andree
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Post by Simpson »

So is it for strength / re-inforcement?
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

more for some thing strong to hold the tread ,
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

the trestle is one of those $59 painters platforms from bunnings and I was going to drill holes and bolt the wood on. It is now going to rival the Cistine Chapel, thank you Andreangelo!

The idea is it folds down, fits in the boot then if your going bush and not the range you still have a mobile benchrest to do load testing or even set up 250m from a warren and get comfortable.

Andree i can t wait, dont rush for wednesday, I wont be using it till I get back from my trip anyway
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day trev,
have you got a shooting stool that is height adjustable? you might need one!
Cheerio Ned
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

No worries mate !
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

no Ned, a fold up camp chair was my plan!
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

Don,t the BR ppeople use those round music chairs ?
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day HB
yup a drummers seat, many of the benches around the country have different heights and I remember sitting on sown off logs at one range!

So you soon start looking for something to get you to the right (comfortable) height for bench shooting.

Cheerio Ned