Subsonic loads for foxes

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Jmc
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 6br

Subsonic loads for foxes

Post by Jmc »

Hi just seeing if any body is running subsonic loads out there? Adi book says 223 with trail boss and 55gr projectile's will do is just chasing information as I have pick up a new property right beside town and surrounding propertys have horse's. Any infomaton on this would be good and any other caliber that might be the go longest shot would be 200 odd yards thanks .
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Re: Subsonic loads for foxes

Post by Seddo »

200 yards is a long way for a subsonic, you better have a lot of elevation in your scope.

I have only used 80gr subsonic in a 223 but they all have a trajectory of a brick. I found with a mildot scope if you had a 75m zero you could use the dot abvoe for 50m and the dot below for 100m but after that you had to use more dots.
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

200 yards is a long way for a subsonic, you better have a lot of elevation in your scope

it's not much different than a 22rf and I have a property here I shoot on right next to a heap of houses and a golf course

and it's full loads in a 223 all the way as you can NOT risk a missed shot , the neighbours get used to it and I lock the gate

on my way in and when I here that the cops are coming on the radio I just go and sit in one of the gullies and listen to them

tell D24 that no ones there and start shooting 5 mins after they leave 8) they have only ever come back a second time in

12 years .
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by frakka »

Not subsonic but a quiet short range load, estimate about 2000fps from other posts on trailboss loads for the 223. Plenty accurate enough and coincides with the main crosshair on my rifle, no adjustments. It is about an 80% load in my cases.
c vmax 111016.jpg
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Get a Hornet either 17 or 22 version, nice and quiet and it gives you a built in excuse why you need another for the safe. :twisted:
billsshed
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17 hornet

Post by billsshed »

Agree with the hornet family if you want something quieter. When I have a mate over for a shot with his 223 the neighbours know about it but with the 17 and the 22 hornet they tell me they never hear a thing.. They are not as quiet as a Rim fire but not a banger like the 223. The 17 uses 1/2 the powder and will drop a fox with little issue. Far less chance of a richoet with the fragile 17 pills as well. Love it.
Hope it works out.
Bill
Backlog
Favourite Cartridge: 3030

Post by Backlog »

I shoot trail boss subsonic loads in a .30-30.
Trajectory is like a bow and arrow, though I've got it quite accurate out to 100. You would have to use a range finder and a mil dot scope I reckon at those sort of distances for consistent hits.
Trail boss velocity varies +/- 3 fps/ degree temp. My load chrony's at 1050fps @27*c which keeps me subsonic at temps up to 40.
It's also important to be spot on with charge weights for those longer ranges as a small variation in a light trail boss load ( my 30-30 is 5.1gn, just under half case) makes a heap of difference out past 100. Weigh each charge,Trail boss doesn't throw accurately for consistent light loads
Around 90% case capacity gave me max velocity out of the 30-30, around 1475fps with 165gn pills
I run my .243 with 58g vmaxs and 90% trailboss charge for use at home (around 22hornet velocity) which is a lot quieter than full power loads and shoots flat enough, keeps the neighbours happy- but I've got good neighbours.

IMHO a .22 hornet is what you want, would be my choice (or a 218bee)
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Backlog wrote:.... snip..... my 30-30 is 5.1gn, just under half case......snip......
Well, you should get good ignition, as at the angle you'd need to hold the barrel, the powder would all fall to the back of the case really easily! :D
Backlog wrote:.... snip..... Trajectory is like a bow and arrow......snip......
..... admit it Brett, you really wanted a mortar, didn't you..... :lol:

.... oh, and merry xmas mate. I hope Santa brought you a 218 8)
Backlog
Favourite Cartridge: 3030

Post by Backlog »

[* you really wanted a mortar, didn't you..... :lol: ]

Hell yeh 8) ,slight question of legality in NSW - did get my boy some toy rockets for xmas which are good fun
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

billsshed wrote:Agree with the hornet family if you want something quieter. When I have a mate over for a shot with his 223 the neighbours know about it but with the 17 and the 22 hornet they tell me they never hear a thing.. They are not as quiet as a Rim fire but not a banger like the 223. The 17 uses 1/2 the powder and will drop a fox with little issue. Far less chance of a richoet with the fragile 17 pills as well. Love it.
Hope it works out.
Bill

Out last night with the 22lr and the 5.7 MMJ and while the MMJ makes some noise compared to the subbies in the 22 had no ear muffs and no ringing of ears :D was very nice. That's 15 gr of 2207 behind a 40 grainer will see if lilgun is a little quieter as less powder again.

Ryan