Gunsmith, yeah right

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
Vermingone
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 243 ai

Re: Gunsmith, yeah right

Post by Vermingone »

Sounds ominous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Post by mistit »

Yep I bet I know who it is
Thinks his the god of gunsmiths too
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

K Mistit
Peter knows who it is
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Post by mistit »

MISSED wrote:K Mistit
Peter knows who it is
Well said :lol:
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Well finally back home on the puter its much easier for me than on the bloody phone.

Approx 5 years ago I took my old Brno mod 2 (1971 build) over to Dubbo to get a new barrel fitted and give it a bit of a tidy up, was told it would be done by Christmas that year 2011, this was in May I think, (time has faded my recollection).

Christmas came and went, phone calls were made, I was informed it was taking a long time to get the barrel, I had stipulated that I wanted a profile the same as the new CZ varmint models, but 22 inches long. Phone calls and several visits over the next couple of years ended with the same result, nothing other than the barrel had been threaded, supposedly. I probably should have pulled the pin on the job after the first stuff around, but I decided to let it ride.

Then two years ago last September, I went up to my mothers 80th birthday in Taree, called in and asked PK how the job was going, he came out the flappy doors in his shop, screwing a barrel into my action, saying that it just needed final fitting, the barrel was what I estimate to be 1 inch thick at the muzzle, not what I had ordered, but I figured if the job was being done I would take what came, just to get it back in my hands. I was told by him that it would be finished by the end of the week and sent to the gun shop in Griffith the following week. Talk about crickets chirping, they were deafening.

The other day when I called in to get my rifle back, I walked in his door, he came out and looked at me a bit puzzled, you know how it is, you know that face, but just cant put a name to it. I said, "Brno Mod 2, Hillston" and his face showed instant recognition, some surprise, and probably a bit of confusion. I asked for the return of my rifle, in the condition that I had dropped it off, told him to just forget about the whole thing. He returned to his workshop, and surprise fucken, surprise, he walked out screwing the barrel into my action, EXACTLY the same as he had two and a bit years ago, FUCKEN EXACTLY.

I said "Peter, there is the problem, that is exactly what you were doing two and a half years ago, please just give me back all the parts of my rifle and forget about the whole thing. The bastard had the hide to ask if I wanted to buy the barrel that he had. "Nope, just give me back all my parts".

Well, he put the action on the bench, went back to the workshop and came out with an old tin, looked like a paint tin, and proceeded to place the parts on the bench, in amongst all the other junk and rubbish on it, everything was there, except the stock and old barrel. He went back and got the stock, and then informed me he couldn't find my barrel, he reckoned he had thrown it out. This, I now very highly doubt, I reckon the bastard sold it, it had been shortened, the rear sight machined off (except for the ring around the barrel and the fore end bedding block that goes into the stock) and had been threaded with a thread cap. It was also one of the few Brno mod 2 barrels with micro groove rifling, not that it makes that much difference. I just asked him for a bag to put the parts in, gathered up the stock, scope and bag, and left.

Well that's the story of this sad and sorry saga. My advice to anyone, NEVER NEVER EVER APPROACH THIS BLOKE TO DO A JOB FOR YOU ON ONE OF YOUR RIFLES. I will go out of my way to inform anyone that ever asks about getting gunsmith work done, to not even bother ringing him and relate my sorry saga to them.

One thing that really pissed me off during the whole sorry affair, NO COMMUNICATIONS from him to me, and he didn't even take my calls for the last two years.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

That's about all I will say on the matter, unless someone asks me specific questions about it.

P.s. Does anyone know of, or have a reasonably good barrel in 22lr to fit a Brno Mod 2 rifle ?? Ask around please fellas, prefer factory sporter profile, and doesn't need the barrel bedding block underneath the rear sight. Even a CZ barrel without sights would do.

:D
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

the bloody way I see it he owes you the barrel he had there
Croaky
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22/250

Post by Croaky »

That is probably the worst gunsmith story I have ever read, holy shit 2011 :shock: and still unfinished :evil:
Hope you get the old girl up and running soon Camel.
Cheers
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

I'm surprised you waited that long.

My last build i dropped off barrel action and reamers 2 wks later it arrived in the post barrel even reblued!..hadn't even paid.

Puts this PK out west to shame! What i dont get is so many smiths seems to like working for certain people or some crap.

Good thing there is a fairly new smith locally now.

Ryan
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Tackleberry wrote:the bloody way I see it he owes you the barrel he had there
Yeah, but Ill see how that pans out, don't expect much. :roll:
Croaky wrote:That is probably the worst gunsmith story I have ever read, holy shit 2011 :shock: and still unfinished :evil:
Hope you get the old girl up and running soon Camel.
Cheers
Yes, not very good.
I hope so too as I just brought a stock from Cameron Hatcher for it. :lol:
stinkitup wrote:I'm surprised you waited that long.

My last build i dropped off barrel action and reamers 2 wks later it arrived in the post barrel even reblued!..hadn't even paid.

Puts this PK out west to shame! What i dont get is so many smiths seems to like working for certain people or some crap.

Good thing there is a fairly new smith locally now.

Ryan
I generally have the patience of a rabbit trap mate, and I guess I should have pushed a bit more, but it is what it is, it wont happen again.
I also have a good fella locally now, he is the only one I will let touch any of my rifles from now on. :D
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Hehe thats what thought Mark.

If you have someone local makes big difference.

Ryan
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

I'd be onto the dept of fair trading about that piss poor effort, he owes you a barrel at the very least!
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Gunsmith, yeah right

Post by DSD »

So this is no good then?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Kaching
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Hello Dave, (I am being nice, grovel, grovel, grovel) yes please that would be very adequate, tell me more. :D