The Tikkler T3x 308 Fluted Hunter

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

The Tikkler T3x 308 Fluted Hunter

Post by bigfellascott »

Well I decided to upgrade the Sako 222 for a Tikkler in 308 as there are some pigs getting around one of the properties I hunt on and I didn't have anything bigger than the 22.250 which I know is capable of sorting out 99% of them but I also wanted something lighter than the HB Howso as I have to walk down gullies etc at times (when and if the knees let me that is) anyway I had a look at the plastic fantastic version and thought nah not for me so then sussed out the Lam version but the $$ were more than I was willing to part with so decided the hunter fluted Blue should do the job nicely so my mate set about finding one with a bit of nice kindling on it for me which he did.

I was hoping the Tikkler Mounts would have been fine with the Nikon 3-9x50 but that wasn't to be (knew it would be touch and go) so got some Leupy mounts and bases and they were spot on (got set on the Howso 250 that have been perfect so figured these will do the job fine here too) anyway all up she weighs 3.5kg which is better than the 4.9kg for the HB Howso so should be a little more comfortable to cart around the hills with (I hope) :D

I was hoping to get out this weekend and get it sighted in but sounds like there might be some rain coming so might be a little delay in that plan but will see what the weather brings.

New to 223
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: The Tikkler T3x 308 Fluted Hunter

Post by New to 223 »

Nice one.

Do you have to re- size the pics ?

I have cropped some of mine and they are still too large.
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

Should do the job, your mate did well on selecting the wood.
Talk to Kickin if you can't get the trigger how you like.

Bruce
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

New to 223 wrote:Nice one.

Do you have to re- size the pics ?

I have cropped some of mine and they are still too large.
No mate I use a programme called IMGUR simple and easy to use and better than photobucket.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

B4408 wrote:Should do the job, your mate did well on selecting the wood.

Bruce
Cheers Bruce the trigger isn't too bad but I will put in a yo Dave spring I reckon and maybe put a shorter grub screw in if need be too but really don't think it will be needed - it just needs to be a tad lighter and it will be as good as the Howas then.
New to 223
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by New to 223 »

Thanks Scott, I'll give it a go.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

looks the business!!
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

New to 223 wrote:Thanks Scott, I'll give it a go.
Your welcome mate, I've always found Imgur to be a good programme, stable and reliable, photobucket was a PITA at times and had some real issues so I canned that in favour of Imgur.
trevort wrote:looks the business!!
Cheers Trevor, should do the job I hope. Congrats on your Award by the way, nice to be acknowledged for the hard work and efforts. :D
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

That looks very nice!! Good to see some timber and bluing around still :D
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

stinkitup wrote:That looks very nice!! Good to see some timber and bluing around still :D
cheers mate, I was originally looking at the Lam stainless version but just couldn't justify the extra $$ and I do love my timber and blue so it was an easy decision in the end. :D
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

bigfellascott wrote:
stinkitup wrote:That looks very nice!! Good to see some timber and bluing around still :D
cheers mate, I was originally looking at the Lam stainless version but just couldn't justify the extra $$ and I do love my timber and blue so it was an easy decision in the end. :D
Yep for the money and you got some nice timber with it!!! I def think down the track will be timber or lam for my stevens. Better get some full power loads sorted and try and find some pigs.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

stinkitup wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Yep for the money and you got some nice timber with it!!! I def think down the track will be timber or lam for my stevens. Better get some full power loads sorted and try and find some pigs.
Yeah mate Paul looked after me when it came to finding a good bit of kindling. I've got some 130gn Fed factory ammo to put through it and I have around 100 cases sitting there to be reloaded, just need some dies and projies and I'm good to go. :D
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

Such an easy cartridge as well lots of factory ammo and reloading is a breeze usually to find an accurate combo so will be good to see how it goes.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

stinkitup wrote:Such an easy cartridge as well lots of factory ammo and reloading is a breeze usually to find an accurate combo so will be good to see how it goes.
Yeah that was my thinking with the decision to go the 308, I already had some cases so figured I might as put something in em and you can always seem to find brass etc, so an easy decision in the end for me. The Bullet Factory projies seem reasonably priced so might give some of them a run when I'm ready to reload, they seem to do plenty of damage too so work well from what I've seen. :rifle:
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

B4408 wrote:Should do the job, your mate did well on selecting the wood.

Bruce
Did a little trigger mod yesterday on the Tikkler, I bought a grub screw from a local fastener place to suit, ground it down at the hex head end to shorten it up and installed it again (gave more adjustability) which turned the trigger from 2lb at it's lightest setting to around 1.5lb which is about where I wanted it.

I did all the usual tests to ensure it's safe and it was, no issues detected so all good. :D

I was going to buy a Yo Dave Trigger spring for it but can't see the point now as I don't think it's going to make that much diff to be honest, the let off is nice and crisp and light with minimal pressure needed to get her to go bang. :rifle: