Lightweight rifles?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: RE: Re: Lightweight rifles?

Post by DSD »

bigfellascott wrote:
curan wrote:
Camel wrote:............snip...........Stevil, are you saying that you didn't have to do plenty of fine tuning with your Howa ? Must be a one off as every other one I have heard about needs a lot of work, same as most factory rifles. Cant really see the trigger being better than the ones on Zastavas, are they fully adjustable by the owner ? Most I have seen have been sent off to the trigger bloke on Ebay.........snip.........
Hi Camel. My Howa isn't a mini, but it ran fine straight from the box. Trigger adjusted down to about 3lb and works fine, but didn't want to go lower. I use a Timney at 8oz for competition though.

Can't comment on the Zasty, as I've never shot one.........

..... bugga, I forgot, I'm s'posed to be munching on popcorn! :lol:
Yep only thing I've ever done to my Howa's was get the trigger tuned and all mine sit in Boyds (not into plastic crap so I just buy the barreled actions only) - they all shoot fantastic for varmints etc.

I haven't bought a Howa Mini as yet but will in the near future - my mate bought one a while back and he's happy with it, 20 shots into a 20c piece size group with factory ammo from memory - can't complain about that sort of performance for the $$ they cost. Apparently giving the Trigger release a trim sorts this bumping the mag free issue so that's a dead set simple mod to do if you find it an issue.

I always work my triggers on all rifles I own cos they are usually not where I like them and most respond well to doing so (sadly the Sako never really got to where I wanted it) anyway that's someone elses problem now as I pissed it off and bought a Tikka 308 to replace it - hopefully that thing shoots fine or it too will be sent out the door! Thankfully the trigger isn't too bad in it once adjusted to it lightest but I will be changing the spring and doing a few other mods to it down the track to bring it up to the Howa's which are nice and light/crisp. The Tikklers crisp it just need to be a little lighter for my liking and a spring should see that sorted from my understanding which is good as it's a simple cheap mod to do.

I've got no interest in putting up with crap rifles because they have a "Great Rep" I don't care what brands stamped on the side of my firearms, they either shoot and work well or they get fucked off - that simple with me.
If you like playing with your triggers you will be severely dissapointed with a howa mini.
As for the tikka why don't you just send kickinback a msg he seems to have sorted the tikka trigger out

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Re: Lightweight rifles?

Post by The Raven »

Without rereading the entire five pages of posts I ask "what weight are you seeking"?

It shouldn't be hard to reference various catalogues to determine what may suit, and there is plenty a low cost rifle in this range...albeit most with plastic stocks.

As someone who bought a relatively light weight sporter rifle I found the Boyds to add signifiant weight. It was a choice I made to avoid some questionable accuracy, which has proven a wise choice. In hindsight I should have sought a varmint style barrel...

I recall mention of it being for your daughter, so unless a varmint barrel is required I think the choices are wide and varied. The issue will be the budget.

Mention of Howa's are not inappropriate, not that I have personally used one. They appear to be of good value. However, other brands should also be capable of meeting your needs.