Spotlighting helper

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Sako 22-250
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Spotlighting helper

Post by Sako 22-250 »

After spending a lot of time over the years looking for things shot a long range at night thought this may help, (of late with Trevort and Sako 11.125 hitting foxes at 350m + you don't always find them straight away ,especially in crop or long grass)
Once something is hit hold the spot on it , set up the laser on the car,ground ,fence post point it to the middle of the spotlighted area and head to the red dot ,it's supposed to have a 3k range. I have tested out to 700m
Cost all up $8.00 for laser and iPhone tripod
Cheers Mark
Attachments
image.jpeg
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: Spotlighting helper

Post by 220 »

One thing that years of spotlighting has taught me is the biggest reason for not finding things under the light is because you didn't hit them. :lol:
There are times when grass, range etc do make finding them hard but I would say better than 90% of times it because the animal isn't there to be found.
Croaky
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22/250

Post by Croaky »

220 wrote:One thing that years of spotlighting has taught me is the biggest reason for not finding things under the light is because you didn't hit them. :lol:
There are times when grass, range etc do make finding them hard but I would say better than 90% of times it because the animal isn't there to be found.
Yep, I have to agree with this 100% but I,m happy someone else said it :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Neat idea :D You doing a package deal for us on AusVarmint ?
matang
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by matang »

Spotlighting foxes in SW Vic during winter with above ankle high grass can be a pain in the arse. I have walked driving 3 of us looking and giving up. Come back next day and found them with wheel marks right beside where I have found the fox.
Always take a dog now, no mucking around he soon finds them and good way to teach young dogs.
Only negative is getting dog back when your sure you didnt miss and dog go's running over hill obviously on the scent :shock: and the look he gives me when I shoot and just drive on. :?
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Sean you have to try spotlighting with Mark to know why he needs this. I've seen him spend an hour searching the face of an opposite gully after we hear the thwock. Worst part was it was my shot. Doesn't matter whose shot he has to find it no matter how steep the slope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vermingone
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 243 ai

Post by Vermingone »

I once was shooting with a club mate and he slotted a fox on some low cut barley stubble and I could clearly see a wheel mark from the header as a location marker drove over there all lit up couldn't find it went back the next day and low and behold I had parked over the top of it there it was laying in the wheel tracks where I had stopped to look for it.

Daniel