Lightweight rifles?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Lightweight rifles?

Post by lowndsie »

So whats some of the lightweight rifles out there? Im aware of the tikka but what are the other options? Id also like to stick to a 22inch tube if possible. Probably in a 243, 260 or 708.
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: Lightweight rifles?

Post by Ol 55 »

Just to reinforce my young bloke has a Tikka stainless fluted 708 and I think it's about perfect weight and balance
Cheers
Ol 55

Just remembered he sold a Remington to buy it and the Remington was not in the same class
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

The T3 Lite is probably the best value in a lightweight factory rifle.

The Weatherby MkV actions are surprisingly light for their size, but more expensive.

Remington Model 7 or 700 can be light, but you really need to take all the Remington stockwork, etc. off and put an aftermarket stock on.

The Kimber Ascent are good, but pricey.

The best by far would have to be the NULA rifles, but you are paying for what you get.
Stevil
Favourite Cartridge: 260rem

Post by Stevil »

How light do you need to go Lowndsie ? whats the terrain and intended species ? or is it just a light fascination ?

my Carbon stocked Model 7 tips the scales at 4lb 13oz, scoped n ringed add a lb.
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

Thanks for the info guys. I'm trying to find a centrefire for my 13 year old daughter.

She finds the Ruger American manageable.. but only just. My tikka 308 is a bit heavy but it does have a bell and carlson stock and a few other things that add to the weight.

Maybe a Tikka fluted might be the way to go in either 260 or 7-08. I like the 260 but a 708 would be nice if she's ever in a position where she might need to buy factories if I can't load for her or something.

It'll be for medium game, goats, pigs and deer etc in open to hilly country. Recoil would be an issue to but I hear you can load the 7-08 down quite a lot with trailboss etc until she gets used to it..
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

There's also the T3x Compact. At the moment only in 223, but eventually a few more calibres. Doubt you'll beat the T3 features dollar for dollar.
Cheers...
Con
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

What about one of the offerings in 7.62x39, good compact rifles available from CZ, Ruger, Zastava, and probably a few more. just a thought, and ammo is very available.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Camel wrote:What about one of the offerings in 7.62x39, good compact rifles available from CZ, Ruger, Zastava, and probably a few more. just a thought, and ammo is very available.
Not a silly idea. Wait on the Howa Mini? Use a smaller cal in the meantime?
Cheers...
Con
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Now why would you want to put the poor girl through that Con, would be very daunting for her when the magazine kept falling out. :lol: :lol:
DSD
.270 Winchester

Re: RE: Re: Lightweight rifles?

Post by DSD »

lowndsie wrote:Thanks for the info guys. I'm trying to find a centrefire for my 13 year old daughter.

She finds the Ruger American manageable.. but only just. My tikka 308 is a bit heavy but it does have a bell and carlson stock and a few other things that add to the weight.

Maybe a Tikka fluted might be the way to go in either 260 or 7-08. I like the 260 but a 708 would be nice if she's ever in a position where she might need to buy factories if I can't load for her or something.

It'll be for medium game, goats, pigs and deer etc in open to hilly country. Recoil would be an issue to but I hear you can load the 7-08 down quite a lot with trailboss etc until she gets used to it..
Unless you win lotto twice she will not be buyimg factory 708 more than once

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Camel wrote:Now why would you want to put the poor girl through that Con, would be very daunting for her when the magazine kept falling out. :lol: :lol:
That'll teach her!! :lol: :P
Cheers...
Con
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Camel wrote:Now why would you want to put the poor girl through that Con, would be very daunting for her when the magazine kept falling out. :lol: :lol:
:lol:

Gold :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lowndsie just a thought
Kids grow really fast in their teens
MM has grown 8 inches in the 6 mths since his 13th birthday.If I had bought him a small lightweight rifle then it would be uncomfortable for him to use now.
Weight and length help balance and to also soak up felt recoil.
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

MISSED wrote:Weight and length help balance and to also soak up felt recoil.
Weight and length have nothing to do with balance. Balance is the distribution of weight over length. A very heavy rifle can balance nicely but still be a PITA to carry. Similarly an ultralight rifle can balance very well. There are also many bad examples of both light and heavy rifles, particularly light rifles.

Weight does more than almost any other thing to help moderate recoil, but so can downloading a cartridge or choosing a lighter recoiling cartridge.

The Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel would be a good choice, and whilst I'm no fan of the detachable magazine in a hunting rifle it has one distinct advantage. Right at the start you can hold the magazine in your hand and only give it to the young shooter when they are ready to use the rifle. IMHO the DBM design needs to be revisited as whilst the magazine does not normally fall out, there is a greater potential for it to do so than there should be. The design for the magazine catch is bad and requires a simple modification to make better (shorten, right angle and cup the DBM to recess the lever). This modification should not need to be done as it is a bad design which should not have gone into production.
dashooter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Wby Magnum's :)

Post by dashooter »

adamjp wrote:
Weight and length have nothing to do with balance. Balance is the distribution of weight over length. A very heavy rifle can balance nicely but still be a PITA to carry. Similarly an ultralight rifle can balance very well. There are also many bad examples of both light and heavy rifles, particularly light rifles.

Weight does more than almost any other thing to help moderate recoil, but so can downloading a cartridge or choosing a lighter recoiling cartridge.

The Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel would be a good choice, and whilst I'm no fan of the detachable magazine in a hunting rifle it has one distinct advantage. Right at the start you can hold the magazine in your hand and only give it to the young shooter when they are ready to use the rifle. IMHO the DBM design needs to be revisited as whilst the magazine does not normally fall out, there is a greater potential for it to do so than there should be. The design for the magazine catch is bad and requires a simple modification to make better (shorten, right angle and cup the DBM to recess the lever). This modification should not need to be done as it is a bad design which should not have gone into production.
Did I miss something?
"Weight and length have nothing to do with balance", followed by "balance is the distribution of weight over length"! If they have nothing to do with it why do they factor in its equation? :shock:
Last edited by dashooter on Thu May 26, 2016 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

dashooter wrote:
adamjp wrote:

Did I miss something?
Weight and length have nothing to do with balance, followed by balance is the distribution of weight over length! If they have nothing to do with it why do they factor in its equation? :shock:
How to contradict yourself in one sentence!

Buy a Howa Mini, some assembly, modification and repair required!

Glenn