Howa Mini

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
WhiteMeat
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223AI

Re: Howa Mini

Post by WhiteMeat »

GregT wrote:Yep I'm still in the process of making them. I still haven't come up with a transition from the stock to the tube that I'm 100% happy with but have almost a few weeks off starting tomorrow and will get back into it. Personally I reckon the conventional style fore end feels better to hang onto but tube setups seem to be fairly popular so I'll keep at it.

I'm scaling the little Howa stock up a bit to fit Remington/Tikka as well, a few mm wider and longer and it should work great. I'll try it out on a couple of my own ones first and see how it goes.
Let me know if you would like another Rem700 to test on and will bring it down when I head down to visit the missus in Canberra (assuming that QBN = Queanbeyan) Can also bring a Howa 1500 SA
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

I see one youtube commentator has already decided it will be his combat rifle :rambo:
Stevil
Favourite Cartridge: 260rem

Post by Stevil »

Hey Greg the guns back with Adam. I finally got to fire the bastard at MJR today, Adam will pass on my feedback but lets just say my first 3 shot group with the 70gr bergers went under 0.5moa, and my first ever attempt at the Turkeys (385m) with a swirling breeze had me 4 for 5, the trigger to grip position is spot on. Functioned flawlessly.
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

Stevil wrote:Hey Greg the guns back with Adam. I finally got to fire the bastard at MJR today, Adam will pass on my feedback but lets just say my first 3 shot group with the 70gr bergers went under 0.5moa, and my first ever attempt at the Turkeys (385m) with a swirling breeze had me 4 for 5, the trigger to grip position is spot on. Functioned flawlessly.
Once he worked out the Minox was crap and subbed the Bushnell AR onto it, this came out...
Howa Mini 223 70gn Berger.jpg
Couldn't get him to shoot another group as I gave him some lessons on reading the mirage on a tricky shifting wind condition out to the Turkeys at 385m. If the wind call was right, the turkeys fell.

One steel turkey in particular was possessed of a strong upright force and the 223 spun it so it was only 10% showing (very edge on). The 6.5 Lap then spun it again, and the 7mm SAUM spun it again. Three rifles, four hits and still the little bugger was standing. :rifle2:
Stevil
Favourite Cartridge: 260rem

Post by Stevil »

The force was strong on that Turkey ! :lol:
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Blody turkeys! They're hard enough to hit without spinning on ya! :mrgreen:
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

Hmmm a 20 Grendel Maybe :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Flip
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Sooooooo, after 13 pages, has anyone got any info on how the FACTORY rifle goes, without all the bling and so called flash add ons ?
While I admire the work put in by Greg, I still cant see much value in it, and I don't see the point of doing it just to make it look different.
Being a more moderate traditionalist, I though I was being a bit extravagant putting a thumbhole laminate stock on some of my rifles.
Making sporting rifles look similar to military style stuff does nothing for me.
Might look good on the range, but of very little practical use.
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

Camel wrote:Might look good on the range, but of very little practical use.
How practical it is is determined by what you want to use it for, and that's where everyone is different. If you want a spot to bolt night vision, torches, etc and don't want to have to stuff around with stock flex or bedding then it is practical. If you want it just to look different then it isnt practical, its a form of customization.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

lets say you weren't building a 20 dasher and looked at a 20 titan/Grendel, why would you use this action over a custom one or, say, a cz for want of thinking of any other with a ppc bolt face?

Price only?
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Post by johno1 »

"being more a moderate tradionalist"

OLD FART, OLD FART, OLD FART. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Johno
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

johno1 wrote:"being more a moderate tradionalist"

OLD FART, OLD FART, OLD FART. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Johno

John, I have tried to think up some way of politely telling you to fuck off, but I cant so.............FUCK OFF :lol: :lol: :lol:
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Post by johno1 »

Very noice yep ,very noice :wink:

Do you remember the old ad on tv with the two old blokes living next door and hosing each other, that's us :lol: :lol: Probably Barry just down the road tipping his bin on our lawn as well :shock:

Johno
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

That sounds like us mate, though I will have to give up some seniority to you, just the odd couple a years, Barry would look funny trying to tip his bin on the lawn, from his mobility scooter. :shock: :lol: :lol: