Digital Cameras

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
lefty

Digital Cameras

Post by lefty »

Any pro photographers out there ? :)

Did a quick search didnt see a digital camera thread.

Been looking for a new camera, every time i seem to settle on one theres been 10 new cameras released that week.

Whats everyone using or has a personal preference for ?

At moment looking at a Pentax S10 with a 2 gig SD/USB card and case for $407 delivered it can go to ISO 3200 for low light conditions.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

On the case of camera's mate I can't offer you any great specific advice (I like olympus and Nikon) Just settle on one and buy it mate because you will always be buying the latest and greatest and you will never get to actually get one!
fenring

Post by fenring »

A mate of mine just got one of these:

http://www.camerastore.com.au/Panasonic ... etails.htm

Really little, flat camera and yet has 10X optical zoom. Leica lens and OIS anti shake technology.

I have a bigger Panasonic (FZ5) with 12X optical zoom and I reckon the more zoom you have the better, especially for wildlife and game photos.
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

I am using a Canon 20D DSLR. It is a very good camera, and really more than I need!

I was told by a photographer when buying a camera.. buy a brand that has always made cameras!

Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Pentax... they have years of experience and expertise in this area...

Here's a picture of Running Creek Castle I've just been to with the GF for a B&B!

Cheers
AI
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

The only advice I can give, is to make sure that the camera you buy has a fast "cycle time" meaning how fast the camera takes to take the picture after you have pressed the button.
There is to big a time lag on ours and it makes the difference between a great shot and a the subject being off screen. Its very hard to catch a pic of our son doing something spur of the moment.
vanders

Post by vanders »

Just been through the same thing myself, I settled on a Canon S3 IS, its not exactly a small compact but not to bulky either, it has a 12x optical which is great to grt those closer shots on game, 6 mega pixel & it only takes 0.4 sec to react to when you hit the button to take the photo. It also allows almost SLR control, or full auto settings. I couldn't be happier.
outwest64
300 Weatherby Magnum

Post by outwest64 »

Ackley Improved wrote:
I was told by a photographer when buying a camera.. buy a brand that has always made cameras!

Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Pentax... they have years of experience and expertise in this area...
Hi lefty,
I will second that ^^^, I have a kodak and fuji and bought the kodak 4 yrs ago and lasted 2 b4 it failed, $900 in the bin :cry: . The fuji is still working but has problems with the focus, blury shots 50% of the time :( . I wanted to buy a canon powershot when I bought the fuji but was advised by the camera shop bloke that there was nothing wrong with the fuji and it was $140 cheaper......yea right, get what you pay for like a cheap scope.
Spent a shit load of money on a Canon EOS 40D (ditgal SLR) and 18-200 Sigma lens with optical stabilizer, well i would say it is like comparing a nightforce to a cheap chinese scope, just bloody brilliant :D .
I could of bought a powershot but i wanted a camera that i could change the lens and expand my photo skills :wink:
I would say that the powershot or the equal in Nikon,Olypus,Pentax ect would covour most of what you wanted to do. To give you a idea of the prices (Townsville), $800-900 for powershot and the SLR with lens $2500.
Cheers, mark.
bushchook
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .220 Swift

Post by bushchook »

Lefty ,
I found this website very useful when buying a camera about 12 months ago . http://www.dpreview.com/
I ended up with a Canon A630 and have been very pleased with it . Got it from The Camera Farm in NSW at a good price .
lefty

Post by lefty »

Thanks for the tips and websites guys, ill definately keep the old film camera manufacturers at the top of the list.
fenring

Post by fenring »

Another good site for reviews:

http://www.dcresource.com/

Saved me buying the wrong camera.