SSAA Field Target Nationals

uncakikki
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08

Re: SSAA Field Target Nationals

Post by uncakikki »

Hey all, just a heads up to anyone coming up to Tin Can Bay. As it is November it's warm and the humidity is climbing pretty quickly up here with all the storms that are getting about.

What that means is that with this weather about it will bring out the infamous TCB Bities (mosquitoes, sand flies and midges) so bring your heavy duty bug spray. If you are particularly "liked" by these air born blood suckers then make sure you are prepared, they drink Aeroguard in their morning coffee and pour RID over their cornflakes!

The best things we have found so far are the Bushmans 20% Deet and the Bushmans 40% DEET if you are particularly tasty, J &J Off also seems to work well. If you are allergic to these things like my wife is then the best thing you can do is start taking a good Vitamin B supplement or eat vegemite for 3 meals a day (either one will have you piddling funny colours) and cover your skin with long clothing. You can also make up a home prep of a few drops of lavender oil in a large bottle of baby or olive oil which works but tends to make you smell a bit like the NSW origin teams locker room :D .

I don't want to put anyone off but we will be in the beginning of the season for them and they are real. Hopefully there won't be any but that chance is pretty slim as Tin Can Bay is all sand and mud flats at low tide and the surrounding area is largely swamp country.

See ya there.
Chris
grmkc
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by grmkc »

How many sleeps????????? :lol:
uncakikki
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08

Post by uncakikki »

Hey guys. Just a reminder to everyone to make sure your SSAA membership is current. You must be a member to shoot in the Nationals and be eligible for medals and prizes. You will be asked to provide proof of membership.
mattw975
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by mattw975 »

8.3, 8.3, 8.4, 8.3, 8.5, 8.3, 8.3, 8.6

Can anyone guess what I am doing in prep for the nationals !!
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

Weighing pellets :D WOFT :!: :wink:
Ol 55
DSD
.270 Winchester

Post by DSD »

People that weigh cheap 22lr ammo make me laugh when you get them to pull apart the ammo to find rounds that wwigh the same are simply made up of different weight components. Ie weigh the same but 1 has more priming compound another has more powder and another 1 simply has a heavier projectile.
At least pellets are only 1 component
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

Hey Gary, we didn't all get two boxes of premium JSB Exact when we bought our rifles. :roll:
nate
.22 WMR

Post by nate »

mattw975 wrote:8.3, 8.3, 8.4, 8.3, 8.5, 8.3, 8.3, 8.6
Can anyone guess what I am doing in prep for the nationals !!
Having your daughter judge your interpretive dance routines?
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

That would only be 2.1, 2.3, 2.2 .................... and from the wife, a clip across the back of his head. I've met her. I know. :lol:
Ol 55
.308 Winchester

Post by Ol 55 »

grmkc wrote:Hey Gary, we didn't all get two boxes of premium JSB Exact when we bought our rifles. :roll:
I didn't only half a packet and they shoot a different poi so I can't be bothered the EV2 shoots better than me anyhow.

Cheers
Ol 55
Youngy

Post by Youngy »

Talking about pellets......my local dealer ran out of my preferred JSB pellet.

I only have 1 tin left....which I'm not sure if its enough for tomorrow, a day of practice, and then a day of comp. Kees has go me worried because he said "you'll go thru more pellets than you think".

I put in an order for 5 tines yesterday to Potters in Melbourne.
I hope they arrive before TCB !!!

Definitely wont have a chance to sort/weigh/clean/lube/kiss or caress anything !!!

Oh well. I'll give it my best shot [ pun intended ].

Youngy
mattw975
.17 HMR

Post by mattw975 »

You say that Gary, but last Hornsby shoot when zeroing, my gun was producing 2 distinct groups with very different POI's. And I missed 3 sitters at 25M that I could only attribute to flyers.....I didn't weigh / sort my pellets.

My two previous best scores of 24 & 25 ex 30 has been with hand selected / weighed pellets.

I always thought it was a WOFT to, but I'm not so sure now.......will find out tomorrow :)

Ol 55 wrote:Weighing pellets :D WOFT :!: :wink:
Ol 55
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

Youngy, which ones are you after? I'm picking some Cometa JSBs for a couple of guys. I can get 5 or so tins for you as a backup if you like.

I've done some testing with weighed pellets that are 8.40 - 8.50 and 8.55 - 8.65 grains. The 0.1 or so grain difference was giving me a difference of 3 -5 mm difference in POI at 10m. Rifle held by a wood vice. So it would be significant at 25m.
Last edited by grmkc on Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattw975
.17 HMR

Post by mattw975 »

I went through hundreds of pellets last year at the Nationals.

I also have had to chase Potters to remind them to send my JSB's.

I'll sell you a tin of my hand sorted JSB's if you like, they are only $150 per 500 !!!

Youngy wrote:Talking about pellets......my local dealer ran out of my preferred JSB pellet.

I only have 1 tin left....which I'm not sure if its enough for tomorrow, a day of practice, and then a day of comp. Kees has go me worried because he said "you'll go thru more pellets than you think".

I put in an order for 5 tines yesterday to Potters in Melbourne.
I hope they arrive before TCB !!!

Definitely wont have a chance to sort/weigh/clean/lube/kiss or caress anything !!!

Oh well. I'll give it my best shot [ pun intended ].

Youngy
Ol 55
.308 Winchester

Post by Ol 55 »

I'm calling into the Brisbane store next week.
Ol 55