Howa Mini

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Re: RE: Re: Howa Mini

Post by bigfellascott »

DSD wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Stevil wrote:hey Bruce I dont see why the Fireball wouldnt work

some interesting comments from an insider Adam by the looks, I'll be keen to upgrade !
Same here it's pretty much a shorter 222 case so can't see any issues at all really.
As Bruce touched on, your mates was probably a factory fireball, different cup of tea.
However it is syill not a very good assumption to make as i have a rifle with a 222 detachable magazine that is chambered in 20vt that yes once loaded the round chambers and extracts fine but, loading the magazine is painful as the cut out in the lips is to far forward for a vt or fireball and when you try to press the head of the case in it goes down on the neck of the previous round and the back of the magazine stays up and needs to be pushed down.
Yes there is things to do to make it easier but it is something you might want to check. Just because it works for a 222 does not mean it will work for a fireball
Yeah I think he did say it was factory so maybe that's the diff?
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Re: Howa Mini

Post by Glenn »

You have hit the nail on the head DSD!

I have a 17 Fireball and dislike it because of the above reasons!

If was ever to do another it would be a 20-222.

Glenn
Smee
Ethics Shooting Standards Moderator
Favourite Cartridge: big ones

Post by Smee »

I think my money will stay in my wallet for a while at least.

I was quoted $850 for a Howa mini

Then a stock that a grown adult could use is way like the metal from Avatar (Unobtainium).Dollar value $?

I intensely dislike two stage triggers so a better trigger that I like $250 +

A better quality bottom metal and mag system $?

Honestly why are you blokes getting so wet over this ?

In time I can see them becoming a more user(Adult) friendly then I may revisit them.
Stevil
Favourite Cartridge: 260rem

Post by Stevil »

hey smee the world would be boring if we all liked the same thing !!

trigger is a cracker, 10 shot 223, in a quick cycling mini action !! as others have previously alluded what are the other options ?? yep Zastava or a CZ that cost twice as much ! Im not going to put Sako in there cause they are marketed to a more mature Gentlemen :lol:

and $850, WOW there sure is better pricing out there if you go looking. I paid alot less than that.

and stock options ? its early days, but Im sure Boyds will end up with a Laminate and maybe, just maybe someone might even knock up a chassis for these .....
GregT
Favourite Cartridge: 6br

Post by GregT »

Stevil wrote:maybe, just maybe someone might even knock up a chassis for these .....
Now there's an idea.. I'll see what I can do over the weekend :lol:

Tube or conventional fore end?
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Picked up a stainless mini sporter in 223 with 22 inch barrel 1 in 8 twist for $680 on Thursday. The blued were $100 cheaper.
Set the trigger to a neat 1 lb where they need a solid spacer to illiminate the first stage and get the pull down lower. Actually there needs to be a set screw inserted after softening the trigger itself. I am heading out to the range soon to sight it in with some 53 Vmax and will put up the results later.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Tony Z,
Where from? Didn't realise the 223Rem was a 1:8"!! 2 more months to wait for the 204Ruger. :(
Cheers...
Con
Stevil
Favourite Cartridge: 260rem

Post by Stevil »

Hey Greg see what u can knock up, I'll take a tube forend lol !!
GregT
Favourite Cartridge: 6br

Post by GregT »

Stevil wrote:Hey Greg see what u can knock up, I'll take a tube forend lol !!

Getting there.. I've got the regular fore end almost sorted. The tube one might be tomorrow.

It needs a bit of pocketing on the sides, it's pretty boring looking at the moment.

It'll only be one screw to change it over to the tube front. I might have to go 50mm on the tube, 40 would be nice but it would mean a much bulkier mounting setup because there's not room to fit the barrel and a decent spigot inside the tube so it would have to go around the outside of the 40mm. 50mm leaves plenty inside for a flush mounted inside spigot.
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Re: RE: Re: Howa Mini

Post by cam_mackps2 »

Tony Z wrote:Picked up a stainless mini sporter in 223 with 22 inch barrel 1 in 8 twist for $680 on Thursday. The blued were $100 cheaper.
They make a stainless mini?
Can only see blued on their website.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Stainless like this one. Dave Kelly at Halls here in Townsville had them by the pallet. All gone faster than the 200 Adlers.
Attachments
20151003_184257.jpg
20151003_184257.jpg (196.55 KiB) Viewed 1805 times
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

OK just spoke to Halls manager Paul tonight. Have no idea what you blokes are being told or quoted but
Halls in Townsville have 40 mini sporters in 223 in stock. Half blue at $595 and half stainless at $695. Some are 20 inch barrels some are 22 inch. My guess is the 22 inch barrels are 1 in 8 like mine. But I do not know for sure and they may not either as you have to physically measure because nothing is on the barrel or the box. All prices are for a complete rifle with stock, not an action. The factory stock is very good and is an exact profile of the Hogue, pillar bedded and without the condom rubber surface coating but a hard polymer. All up my rifle with Leup QDs and VX1 weighs in at 3.1 kg. Lighter than my bare T3s.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Yep, blued and stainless 223Rems at my local. On order are x8 204Rugers, blued and stainless, HB and Lite.
Cheers...
Con
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

How did it go with the load testing Tony?
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

No load testing Scott just a run in and sighting in. The Vmax did put a group in around 3/4 inch at a 100 yards. Will do more Monday or next weekend.
Very slick little rifle to use.