Howa Mini

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Re: Howa Mini

Post by B4408 »

Has anyone tried a Fireball size case in them yet? Will they feed and extract?

Bruce
Stevil
Favourite Cartridge: 260rem

Post by Stevil »

hey Bruce I dont see why the Fireball wouldnt work

some interesting comments from an insider Adam by the looks, I'll be keen to upgrade !
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

Stevil wrote:hey Bruce I dont see why the Fireball wouldnt work

some interesting comments from an insider Adam by the looks, I'll be keen to upgrade !
Same here it's pretty much a shorter 222 case so can't see any issues at all really.
Stevil
Favourite Cartridge: 260rem

Post by Stevil »

Not sure the twist would be ideal thou, were u think varmit pill like 40grs ??
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

bigfellascott wrote:

Same here it's pretty much a shorter 222 case so can't see any issues at all really.
Scott tell that to Remington owners :wink:
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Post by johno1 »

Re the twist you would think so eh?

But CZ 223 & 221 fireball are 1-12" whereas the 222rem is 1-14" :?
Lot of blokes reckon the CZ shots 40grn bullets just fine, I would certainly want 1-14"

Johno
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

trevort wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Tell the Rem owners what Trev? My mate had a 221 Furball Rem and it was a great little outfit. :wink:
B4408
.270 Winchester

Post by B4408 »

Strevil, the issue is will they extract an empty round. I can get a SA Howa to feed a 221 but the empty case comes off the extractor before it clears front of action. Hope the mini does work, hopefully someone can try it.
I can send 221 brass if someone wants to try.

Bruce
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

bigfellascott wrote:
trevort wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Tell the Rem owners what Trev? My mate had a 221 Furball Rem and it was a great little outfit. :wink:
He was lucky then
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

trevort wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
trevort wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

He was lucky then
Why what was the problem with em Trev? This thing shot amazingly well 5c piece size groups at 200m, seemed to feed and extract well too. I think he was feeding it little gun, can't remember the projectile or weight, I think he moly coated em and did all that case prep crap as well.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

A lot of rem owners with 221 based cases report feeding problems
B4408
.270 Winchester

Post by B4408 »

bigfellascott wrote:
Why what was the problem with em Trev? This thing shot amazingly well 5c piece size groups at 200m, seemed to feed and extract well too. I think he was feeding it little gun, can't remember the projectile or weight, I think he moly coated em and did all that case prep crap as well.
The factory Remington 221 had the ejector/extractor at a different position to eject the small case. Plenty of info on Saubier. Most reckon they shot well.

Bruce
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

B4408 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
The factory Remington 221 had the ejector/extractor at a different position to eject the small case. Plenty of info on Saubier. Most reckon they shot well.

Bruce
Thanks for that Bruce and Trev, as far as I can remember my mates worked fine, certainly shot brilliantly that much I do remember.
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Post by cam_mackps2 »

Tried convincing a mate into a howa mini 223 for spotlighting rabbits upto goats (including roos when permitted) but he picked a tikka 30-06 because he wants to shoot the deer we keep seeing while spotlighting.
He is going to be in for a shock when he has to cut up the deer because the owner will only let us shoot them if we utilize them. 3 months ago he wouldn't pick up a dead rabbit without using a knife.
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: RE: Re: Howa Mini

Post by DSD »

bigfellascott wrote:

As Bruce touched on, your mates was probably a factory fireball, different cup of tea.
However it is syill not a very good assumption to make as i have a rifle with a 222 detachable magazine that is chambered in 20vt that yes once loaded the round chambers and extracts fine but, loading the magazine is painful as the cut out in the lips is to far forward for a vt or fireball and when you try to press the head of the case in it goes down on the neck of the previous round and the back of the magazine stays up and needs to be pushed down.
Yes there is things to do to make it easier but it is something you might want to check. Just because it works for a 222 does not mean it will work for a fireball