F-Open from a Beginner

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Klicker
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223,6BR, 6.5x55, 7RM

F-Open from a Beginner

Post by Klicker »

Hi all,

Shot my first go at F-Open this weekend at Hornsby Full Bore range. I've never shot anything over 500 and I've only shot at 500m once about 6 months back at Hornsby SSAA's Fly shoot. This weekend it was 600

Well I can say I certainly had good fun thanks to the Hornsby RSL Rifle club guys. And I'm still thinking like Trevort as far as shooting being a drug, its certainly a buzz.

Conditions where pretty good from what I could tell as a true amature, there was some interesting conditions that I don't understand fully and that was the flags indicating one direction and the mirage indicating another. Anyhow I shot an 80 for my first target and a 78 for my second, I was surprised at how taxed I was for my second target and I was a bit shaky. I feel that I should have shot better on the last target as there was almost no wind that I could pick, but I did start to place my shots better as I got through my 10 shots.

I used my Ruger M77Mk2, 7mm Mag for the day and I was quite impressed with it, so where most of the guys at the end of the day, its a sporter and it surprised even me. Had a stinking hot barrel at the end of the day though. On the second target I dropped into the 6's twice which is why I lost two points over my first score I think. I'm not sure what to attribute this too, I would say a mixture of nerves, my ability and possible two odd hand loads? perhaps some more attention required there.

Anyhow a big thanks to I think Rinso who suggested I give F-Open a go, and Trevort for sharing his enthusiasm, it's rubbing off mate!

Cheers
Kent
lefty

Post by lefty »

Glad you enjoyed it Klicker it sure is a lot of fun from the small amount i have done with a club rifle.

The experienced shooters where i shoot say its all about reading the wind and consistent hand loads that shoot well from your rifle.

If the coppers around my area ( 2 zones tried now ) actually pull their finger out and organise a firearms safety course in a timely manner i might be able to purchase my own F std rifle b4 hell freezes over.

Good luck and hope you keep hitting the bull.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Klicker,

Glad you enjoyed it mate and welcome to the ranks of long range target shooting.

The 7mm will keep you out of trouble and you will find yourself improving each time you go out, actually sometimes you wont do that well, but you will learn a lot from those days.

cheers
Rinso
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day Klicker,
I too have been shooting FO for a short while, Since the big flags are heavier and slower to react to wind changes, you will see the mirage change direction and be opposite to the flags.

I try to have both flags and mirage agree, failing that, so long as the mirage looks the same from shot to shot, is my second choice.

Be aware that the mirage can look different with slow and fast wind speeds and i try to shoot when the wind is dropping in strength, not picking up, and i try to shoot as fast as the target crew can spot them! I use my last shot like a sighter and aim off rather than wind on windage or elevation on the scope.

Hope this helps.......it aint as easy as it seems!

Cheerio Ned
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

Glad you had a ball Klicker :D Sounds like the bug has infected you :lol:

Hornsby is a beaut range and with my attendance totaling ...twice...I am assured it's not always as freindly as I have experienced conditions wise, apparently it can blow like hell with the higher level wind sucking up over the mounds either side....jeez give me Silverdale anyday :lol:

KY
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Glad you feel my posts were an encouragement. Hope you keep enjoying it
Klicker
.17 HMR

Post by Klicker »

Well to be honest I've always want to target shoot of some sort since I was kid, and my family wasn't that into target shooting. There seams to be a limited number of benchrest ranges near sydney, silverdale the only one I can think of and they only shoot rimfire fly regularly that I can make out anyhow, my 22lr is lucky to shoot with in 5" at 100, its rubbish, and no its not me!. So yes, most of your posts have been very encouraging and its good to have some like minded people to discuss or ask questions of considering I'm really only a toddler when it comes to my level of experience over longer ranges.

Ned, yes the mirage is something I am keen to understand, and I understand that you should wait for optimum conditions before squeezing the trigger, its learning what those conditions mean when you have no choice, as in the conditions are bad that seams to be the key to shooting well, and I suspect that will take some years to develop.

I found this, which has explained some stuff I didn't understand on saturday. http://www.6mmbr.com/readingmirage.html. I spend way to much time on that site.. :-)

Yes Kenny, the bug certainly has bitten!
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

Klicker,

I thought that Hornsby SSAA did a regular benchrest thing...I will ask the Range manager to post a schedule on here....jimmy T are you lookin'.....

I am pretty sure Silverdale does something 'benchresty' on a monthly basis..... :?

They hold major shoots there about 6 weekends a year, if you phone and ask to speak to Barry or Mark they will fill you in. The shoots range from State Champs to local trophy's. The next one is the 'Coady Classic' in Light Varmint & Heavy Varmint classes. It's on the 27th and 28th of October. There should be details in the back of the shooters journal, pre nomination is essential :D

I dunno if this will interest you or not though......it's really PPC territory....

KY
Klicker
.17 HMR

Post by Klicker »

Kenny,

didn't know that at all, there's nothing advertised in the Shooter that I can see. Have I missed something??

Yeah the closest thing I have to a benchrest rig is my Savage 12VLP in 22-250. To be honest I'm happy with the F-Class, its very close by (I live in hornsby) and I could store my rifles at the club house and walk up the range if I wanted to. It's closer to what I shoot in the field as I take a lot of shots prone on the Bipod so I guess it suits me for the moment. I'll have a go at BR though at some point, not trying to be a Snob, don't get me wrong there.