I got a new toy today

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

I got a new toy today

Post by The Raven »

Placed an order last weekend for a Ruger Hawkeye Predator in 223, picked it up today.

Just spent a pleasant few hours going over it, reading the instruction book (book of warnings they ought to call it), cleaned and lubed everything, and fitted the new scope (Nikon Monarch 6-24x50).

I'm hoping to take it to Little River this weekend to run it in and see how it shoots.

Pics will follow, when I can get some good light.

Oh, the supplied rings work a treat.... Too bad I bought the "number 6" just to be safe. Oh well, means I may need a bigger scope some time in the future. :wink:
Cammo
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .17 Hornet

Re: I got a new toy today

Post by Cammo »

Look forward to the pics.

I have a Ruger Predator in .204 and love it, you wont be disappointed.

Regards
Sako 22-250
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by Sako 22-250 »

Good news Raven , great looking rifle .it should make a good fox gun!! :D
Cheers Mark
crackers17
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6mm dasher

Post by crackers17 »

Always good getting a new rifle. .
What twist is the barrel. ..
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

I'm impressed with the build of the rifle. Looking at the parts you can see that it'll last just about forever. There is no skimping on material, and I like the heavier 'magnum' contoured barrel. I thought it a bit thinner than anticipated until I compared it with my Marlin 308. It's about twice the OD with a tinier hole. :P

223 should be fine for most of the stuff I'm likely to shoot, with the Marlin stepping in for the bigger/closer critters.

Twist on the 223 is 1:9.

The matte stainless is an interesting finish but I like the overall look of it. Barrel looked very nice, once I cleaned it.

I'll leave the trigger alone until the rifle is fully run in. It's a bit heavier than I'd like out of the box, but that's to be expected for a factory setup. First stage is nice and short, second is "lawyer" spec.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Well, congratulations Mr Raven, that should suit you very well. Rifle basics trigger should fix that, if you want to go that far. Good pick up mate. :D
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Camel wrote:Well, congratulations Mr Raven, that should suit you very well. Rifle basics trigger should fix that, if you want to go that far. Good pick up mate. :D
The Predator comes with the target trigger as opposed to the standard LC6. It's supposedly more adjustable etc and the same as offered in the VT "target" model. I haven't pulled it from the stock yet but suspect it should provide more than adequate adjustment to suit my basic rifle skills.

Took me a while to get around to purchasing something better than a 'basic' rifle. However, I was surprised I couldn't order it in 25 Camel! The guys at the LGS didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Typical!!!! :P :P :P
223 fanboy
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by 223 fanboy »

The Raven wrote: Pics will follow, when I can get some good light.
Looking forward to them Raven. :D :D
Teepee
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 20-250

Post by Teepee »

Good to hear Raven
Nice work.
Now all we gota do is get you into one of those 20 cals down the track.
Or maybe the 25 camel!

Look forward to seeing some pics.
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

good one raven i got one too last week 8)

now if that trigger is the same as my sons 25-06 VT it will adjust up a treat . :twisted:
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

The Raven wrote:
Camel wrote:Well, congratulations Mr Raven, that should suit you very well. Rifle basics trigger should fix that, if you want to go that far. Good pick up mate. :D
The Predator comes with the target trigger as opposed to the standard LC6. It's supposedly more adjustable etc and the same as offered in the VT "target" model. I haven't pulled it from the stock yet but suspect it should provide more than adequate adjustment to suit my basic rifle skills.

Took me a while to get around to purchasing something better than a 'basic' rifle. However, I was surprised I couldn't order it in 25 Camel! The guys at the LGS didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Typical!!!! :P :P :P
Well that's alright about the trigger then. Didn't know if they had the standard or adjustable.

You want to tell that gunshop of yours to get up with the times mate, fancy not knowing about the 25 Camel, what is wrong with those guys. :roll: :roll: I dunno ! :twisted:
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Does Mrs Raven like it?
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

kickinback wrote:Does Mrs Raven like it?
She thinks it would look better blued rather than stainless, and she's never been a fan of laminated stocks (particularly the Predator's mountain green). :roll:

I'm also banned from receiving any further 'presents' until the end of the year. :(
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

Raven, the Predator should serve you well. I had one on my short list but couldn't get to hold one in 223 so went the CZ. I don't mind the green and matt stainless finish.

Not long to the end of the year :D just enough time to do some research and order the Xmas present. :D

Bruce
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

The Raven wrote:
kickinback wrote:Does Mrs Raven like it?
She thinks it would look better blued rather than stainless, and she's never been a fan of laminated stocks (particularly the Predator's mountain green). :roll:

I'm also banned from receiving any further 'presents' until the end of the year. :(

but but but you need a scope for the new rifle :lol: