Factory ammo - split case

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: Factory ammo - split case

Post by Camel »

Hey Raven, we are a pretty smart bunch here, eh ? :lol: :lol: Where is my photo of the fired split case, just for comparison purposes. :D
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Camel wrote:Hey Raven, we are a pretty smart bunch here, eh ? :lol: :lol: Where is my photo of the fired split case, just for comparison purposes. :D
Will do....tomorrow night.
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

If not annealed properly factory ammo/brass will age harden and split.
Had someone ask for some 303/25 brass a while back, knew I had a box from 25years ago of new unfired brass somewhere, dug it out opened the box to find every one split. These were new 303/25 head stamped brass.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Yeah Sean, I remember back in the 70s and 80s there was a lot of older 303/25 ammo that split, stuff that had been made in the 60s, factory new. There was talk of a lot of different opinions as to why it split, poor annealing, brass made with too much zinc in it, some even reckoned that the cordite had something to do with it splitting. I reckoned that it was more than likely poor annealing myself. Pretty much like the 17HMR saga of today.
.270 Winchester

Post by 220 »

Reckon your right mate, borrowed a 303 on the weekend to shoot the clunker match at Wodonga, 1920's manufactured ammo, not one split neck among them even after firing. Hangfires and failure to fire was a different story but the brass was still fine after nearly 100 years. :lol:
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Because Camel asked for it....The 'After' pic. I even tried to take it in the same spot as the original.
IMG_3523.JPG
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Thanks mate, didn't do too bad, but as expected didn't split all the way down to the shoulder. Would be a good case to use for a slip case to gage seating depth. :D
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Camel wrote:Thanks mate, didn't do too bad, but as expected didn't split all the way down to the shoulder. Would be a good case to use for a slip case to gage seating depth. :D
You can have it if you want, otherwise it's a mantle piece to remind me to check factory ammo.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

308 ammo ? If it is, wont be any good to me mate, I have a shit load, but hopefully within the next couple of weeks I wont have a 308, the old Brno is going to become the 25 Camel. :mrgreen: Still, it will be a good reminder and conversation piece for you. You could come up with a really good yarn about how it got to be that way, the last round on a long hunt and used it to drop the biggest stag seen by human kind. That kind of yarn. :lol: :lol:
DSD
.270 Winchester

Post by DSD »

Camel wrote:You could come up with a really good yarn about how it got to be that way, the last round on a long hunt and used it to drop the biggest stag seen by human kind. That kind of yarn. :lol: :lol:
Is that an admission that all your stories are full of shit?
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Nah mate, not me. but as I know that Victorians are generally full of shit, just thought I would prompt him into letting a bit out, a release valve type of thing. :twisted: :lol: