Best Fox Whistle Original

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Vermingone
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 243 ai

Best Fox Whistle Original

Post by Vermingone »

I think the key to the tenterfield type whistles is raspiness in my experience. I also love the mouse squeaker which is seductive for em sometimes. But like everyone says a selection is best for when they don't won't to come to what your using.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Re: Best Fox Whistle Original

Post by bigfellascott »

Vermingone wrote:I think the key to the tenterfield type whistles is raspiness in my experience. I also love the mouse squeaker which is seductive for em sometimes. But like everyone says a selection is best for when they don't won't to come to what your using.
That's pretty much how I see it too mate, I really like that scotch predator Caller, they respond well to that when they are around.
Sako 22-250
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Re: Best Fox Whislte Original

Post by Sako 22-250 »

BP72 wrote:I've got one of them Sako , a pommy mate sent it to me . I assume you've worked out that biting down on it raises the pitch ? You can vary the pitch by changing how you bite down while your blowing , I often start with a raspy noise then bite down to raise the pitch while at the same time blowing rapidly to mimic a distressed rabbit . I use a loud pitch to get them intersted then when their close just blow softly to get a mouse noise.
I'm shithouse with the Tenterfield so the best fox whistle is my " go to " whistle
Got a chance to use the new whistle yesterday afternoon and this morning
We arrived at the property later than planned , once unloaded and camp set we headed to hill about 150 m across from a rabbit warren ... Were able to knock a couple of bunnies as they caught the last of the afternoon sun just on last light gave the new whistle a call ...scanned around looked back to the warren and a big fox was just sitting looking across at us he came out of nowhere! the 243 .70g hollow point hit him mid chest ... He was a big dog... This morning we walked the lower block as the farmer had seen a few fallow during the week , we walk all the way to the lake...plenty of deer signs but no deer , on the walk back I saw a fox 100m ahead moving low along a fence line.. She had seen us was making a get away , it took 2 blows from the whistle to stop her and make her look back the 22-250 dropped her
The whistle played its part in two foxes...
Mark
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
BP72
22-250 Remington

Post by BP72 »

Good to see your getting amongst them Sako , it's pretty exciting to have a big fat fox running straight at you like your a meals on wheels van
Sako 22-250
.308 Winchester

Post by Sako 22-250 »

BP72 wrote:Good to see your getting amongst them Sako , it's pretty exciting to have a big fat fox running straight at you like your a meals on wheels van
Too true BP 72 it gets my adrenalin pumping!
Rigpig
Favourite Cartridge: 45-70

Post by Rigpig »

That's cool I have bought a fox whistle it seemed to make them run faster. Only used it once so maybe just need some more practice
Sako 22-250
.308 Winchester

Post by Sako 22-250 »

Hi Rigpig....it helps if you call ones that havent been whistled at before
Mark
Rigpig
Favourite Cartridge: 45-70

Post by Rigpig »

Sako 22-250 wrote:Hi Rigpig....it helps if you call ones that havent been whistled at before
Mark
That would be it I am not sure if its the same Fox I have have seen a few times in the same paddock. I only had my 22lr about 6 months ago and it was a good 100m away it stopped I let one go at it and I swear it did a back flip and took off like a bat out of hell. Not sure how long they stay in the same area but there is always a slinky little bastard in the top paddock and the thick scrub is too close.