bimbo's leather work

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
Gnome
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 375 Cheytac

Re: bimbo's leather work

Post by Gnome »

The Raven wrote:
The Gnome wrote:Top notch work coming along there mate. I can perhaps see some formed cheek risers in the future as well :D
I thought you already had some going by your avatar.
LOL Raven, good call that good call, but I have better to come yet :D

looks the goods indeed now Bimbo :D
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

Belt loops stitched at the top then folded over and stitched at the bottom to create the loop. Also in this pic - silver fork looking things- are a set of pricking or stitching irons which is one way of punching the holes and stitching spacing in the leather for stitching.
I use contact cement which holds everything in place while the stitching holes are punched etc
Hand stitching setup - made up a stitching clamp/stitching pony to hold the work piece. the piece of timber along the base sits under your thighs and the black nob is used to tighten and losen the clamp. Great to do while sitting in front of the telly.

Just waiting for some press studs to turn up so I can put them on and finish it off
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

not a bad setup mate.

hmmm.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

You really are a clever little cookie aint ya James. Looks good mate, and nice going on making the jigs and stuff. :D
Gnome
.308 Winchester

Post by Gnome »

I gave Bimbo the idea for building the stitching clamp/stitching pony jig.
.Waiting for the F off you did bite or maybe a slap!!
bimbo
300 Win Mag

Post by bimbo »

:kma: Can thank Google for that one - although I did come up with insetting a couple of strong magnets in the side of the pony to hold the needles when I have to stop half way through. Although I discovered that they are quite strong and can hold the awl and a pair of pliers :mrgreen:
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

So whats next James, sewing circle doing cammo clothing ? :twisted: If so, will you please bring it down to the next missathon, we need to have some entertainment around the fire. :twisted:
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

get a hold of an old hdd,smash it open and get THOSE magnets.
you could hold a good sized shifter on there with those things.rare earth magnets.
pretty small but will draw blood if you put two together on flesh.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

now how much is one of those fancy sheath things gonna set me back?

I still have the knife my dad bought me when I started fishing as a kid (remember it being called a us pilots knife, not really made for fishing but hey) but no sheath so it never gets to go bushwalking
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Talking about knives....

I got a new Leatherman yesterday and within 5 minutes of unpacking it managed a very clean but bloody cut on my index finger. :oops:

I've never lost so much blood so quickly, amazed to have a nice pool of blood on the post-pack it came in within 5 seconds... Talk about feeling foolish. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

At least I can type now. :)
bimbo
300 Win Mag

Post by bimbo »

Camel wrote:So whats next James, sewing circle doing cammo clothing ? :twisted:

Camo ppfffft as if that stuff does anything other than make you look stoopid - Boardies and a king gee are where its at
trevort wrote:now how much is one of those fancy sheath things gonna set me back?
Depends what you want but I reckon around $30

I had my snap studs turn up at work today so fninshed off the ammo carrier. All in all pretty pleased with how it came out. All stitched up, trimmed, edges sanded and burnished and then a coat of leather wax to give it a little protection.
Few things I would change on the next one like the thread which is shitty stuff I bought from a local saddle shop, I just used it on this one to use it up - it is artificial sinew and really course and fluffy and just crap to stitch with - the other waxed nylon thread I have is heaps nicer to use. The other thing is I would put the press studs on the front and bit closer to the center but that's a bit hard to change once you've punched holes in the leather.
Closed
Open
Back/beltloop

Cheers
James
Gnome
.308 Winchester

Post by Gnome »

bimbo wrote: Few things I would change on the next one like the thread which is shitty stuff I bought from a local saddle shop, it is artificial sinew and really course and fluffy and just crap to stitch with.
Run it over/through an unlit candle or rub the saddle wax into it as that will settle the fluffiness and make it easier for stitching as the wax acts as a lube.

All in all though they look great :D
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Top effort mate, looks bloody nice. One thing, if you tapered the flap a bit longer to the centre, you could get away with one press stud to close it with, minor I know, but I reckon it would look a bit neater.

Ill be in touch about a couple of knife sheaths. :mrgreen:
bimbo
300 Win Mag

Post by bimbo »

Yeah Mark I did think about tapering the flap because the flap is parallel all the way up when it is folded over back onto the moulded part of the pouch there is 10-15mm overhang on both sides. I am going to make another one to play around with and will either taper it all the way up the flap or just the front section or just a big semi circle, just see what works and looks the best.
Also need to work out a way to secure the cartridges inside for larger rounds - will make one to fit 243/308/7mm08 rounds next for my cousins husband who I spotlight with, and a mini one for his son who loves to have all the same kit as the 'big boys'.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

James how do go about this?

Bring the knife to Yass?