scope choices

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

scope choices

Post by trevort »

Wow, what an original post title

So I got to thinking that when I get some coin I will get a permanent scope for the 22x47lap and instead of sticking the loopy back on the Mach4 I would like another scope for it.

I do mostly spotlighting so 50mm OBJ with clarity very important of course.

I usually sit on 12 power at night but esp for the 22x47 lap I want to try to connect at longer range so around the 20x max is what I usually go for.

I liked Keith's recent scope analysis and wont be buying a $2k scope. My favorite scope is a Burris Black diamond which sits on my 6/250 and they are $699US.

BUT I want to try this click adjustment thing, dialling up and down and stuff so being able to lock in at 1inch high at 100 and stopping zero at that so I always have a known value to come back too would be ideal.

suggestions please
big G
7mm08 Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 223 rem

Re: scope choices

Post by big G »

Nar. :D
Got nothing. 8)
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Zeiss HD5 5-15x50, side focus, target turrets, and if you can get it the number 20 Z plex reticule :D
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

I was going to say 6.5-20x50 Zeiss Conquest with Z plex reticle until I saw your need to spin turrets and have a zero stop.

I have a hunting turret model on my spotlighting rifle and it is perfect. I had a target turret model on my Omark and it was great for image clarity, but not as distinct in the turret adjustments as would be preferable for dialling up and down. I swapped it with my brother for a Sightron 6-24x50 with MOA reticle, as the Zeiss is a better fit for purpose on his Tikka .204 HB spotlighting rifle. One of those rare occasions where both parties were winners.

Marcus
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

I have been slowly replacing mine with Nigthforce's.

NSX 5.5-22x50 with zero is the go.

I just keep an eye out used guns for secondhand ones.

I have 3 now for me varmints guns and they are awesome!

Glenn
Last edited by Glenn on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Post by Jacko9 »

What about a nightforce shv? I don't think they are much more than 1k but I could be wrong
matang
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by matang »

Be keeping me eye on this one as I was going to ask same question. Got my brothers Nightforce Br on loan on top of my recently re-stock 204R. Im down to a SVH nightforce 4-14x56 or HD5 5-25x52 Zeiss. SHV would be perfect spotlighting but could do with extra magnification of HD5 during day. The HD5 is a bit more compact and will mount up a bit lower. I can get both scopes on rifle in med mounts. Not much difference to me in clarity in shop. When I get a chance will grab them both from LGS and have a look under spotlight before making final decision
Teepee
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 20-250

Post by Teepee »

So Trevort, just how far are you anticipating shooting at night ?
To my mind, I have found the easiest solution at night is to use a varmint reticle.
Don't have to stuff around turning knobs, just work out the distance and use the hash marks accordingly. Using the 204, I have it zeroed for 200 -first hash mark is 300, 2nd is 400. Works out pretty well at those ranges which is as far as I can clearly see what I'm shooting at, at night.
I struggle to see anything past 400 at night, but that's just me. Not as young as I use to be.
If your talking taking a longer shot during the daylight hours, then I'm hearing what your putting down. I think the zero stop would be the way to go.
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

matang wrote:Be keeping me eye on this one as I was going to ask same question. Got my brothers Nightforce Br on loan on top of my recently re-stock 204R. Im down to a SVH nightforce 4-14x56 or HD5 5-25x52 Zeiss. SHV would be perfect spotlighting but could do with extra magnification of HD5 during day. The HD5 is a bit more compact and will mount up a bit lower. I can get both scopes on rifle in med mounts. Not much difference to me in clarity in shop. When I get a chance will grab them both from LGS and have a look under spotlight before making final decision
then have a look at the SHV 5-20 x 56
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

yeah, no knob twiddling at night. Well at least not with the scope.

You are all supposed to tell me the perfect scope for $899!!!
matang
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by matang »

deye223 wrote:
matang wrote:Be keeping me eye on this one as I was going to ask same question. Got my brothers Nightforce Br on loan on top of my recently re-stock 204R. Im down to a SVH nightforce 4-14x56 or HD5 5-25x52 Zeiss. SHV would be perfect spotlighting but could do with extra magnification of HD5 during day. The HD5 is a bit more compact and will mount up a bit lower. I can get both scopes on rifle in med mounts. Not much difference to me in clarity in shop. When I get a chance will grab them both from LGS and have a look under spotlight before making final decision
I know but it is way to big in physical size for my setup
Teepee
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 20-250

Post by Teepee »

Sorry Trevort,
Unable to assist with your question.
Maybe someone else has a scope that meets your guidelines.
Good luck with the search.
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

matang wrote:
deye223 wrote:
I know but it is way to big in physical size for my setup
Exactly!

That is why all the Nightforce scopes I have brought are x50.
They are going on my varmint guns so I don't want them mounted to high.

I will not buy a SHV ever.
Nightforce made a mistake making the SHV 56mm objective, its to big to keep low and get a good cheek weld.

Glenn
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

i'm just lucky i have fat cheeks i don't have a problem with cheek weld

that and a good stock
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

Have you looked at the Z3 Swarovski 4 -12 x 50 or the Z5's. with the ballistic turret. I'm seriously looking at these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... DxukHc#t=0

Flip