221 fireball velocities

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
lawsie
Favourite Cartridge: 221 fireball

221 fireball velocities

Post by lawsie »

I've owned a cz527 fireball for a while now and recently shot a few of my loads over the chronograph. My chronograph reads slower than a mates so the figures seem to be correct and could possibly be faster.

I'm pretty impressed with the numbers from such a small powder charge.
With 2205 and 40gr sierra HP I'm hovering around 3525fps with 1/2 inch accuracy at 100.
With 2207 and a 55gr hornady sp I'm averaging 2950fps with acceptable accuracy.

I'm so happy with what this small cartridge is capable of that I will be having another cz turned into a 17 fireball.

Cheers
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Re: 221 fireball velocities

Post by Flip »

Its a beaut little case that's for sure. I Recently became a big fan of it as a parent case

Sounds like a very good plan to me they are a nice rifle, I'm still yet to get one........ But all in good time :twisted:

The 17 will be sweet,I bet

You could go the whole set ant do a 20 :lol:.

I'm loving the Vartarg it shoots real nice.

Flip
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

Flip wrote: You could go the whole set ant do a 20 :lol:.
Flip
I like having sets :D
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Seddo wrote:
Flip wrote: You could go the whole set ant do a 20 :lol:.
Flip
I like having sets :D

Hows that set of PPC based cartridges coming along Scott ??

I wouldn't mind a set of Zastavas based on the 222 case, got two, just need the original and a couple of others. Wish I had more bloody cash. :roll:
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

lawsie wrote:I've owned a cz527 fireball for a while now and recently shot a few of my loads over the chronograph. My chronograph reads slower than a mates so the figures seem to be correct and could possibly be faster.

I'm pretty impressed with the numbers from such a small powder charge.
With 2205 and 40gr sierra HP I'm hovering around 3525fps with 1/2 inch accuracy at 100.
With 2207 and a 55gr hornady sp I'm averaging 2950fps with acceptable accuracy.

I'm so happy with what this small cartridge is capable of that I will be having another cz turned into a 17 fireball.

Cheers
Sounds pretty impressive mate, especially the 55gn Hornadys, that's not far behind a 222. :D Gotta be happy with that, the 40 grainers would make good cat splatters. :twisted:
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Post by johno1 »

I really overlooked cartridge in this country, I reckon its a wonderful round.

I am surprised at the accuracy with the 40grn bullets mate, did you know its a 1-12 twist? Much better suited to 50-55grn buut a lot of blokes in the US have outstanding accuracy with the 40s also. The CZ in 222rem is 1-14" whereas both the 223 & 221 are 1-12 :? I would have thought they would have gone with the 222 twist.

Humpy, you know the Zastava arnt threaded, right? Oh pro rabbit shooters not having money :lol: :lol: good one mate

Johno
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

johno1 wrote:I
Humpy, you know the Zastava arnt threaded, right? Oh pro rabbit shooters not having money :lol: :lol: good one mate

Johno

I am guessing you have missed your medication tonight John :twisted:

No bunnies around to shoot mate, things looking a bit grim at the moment. Im hoping that Barry B wants around 5 or 6 hundred fox skins and he will pay me 30 bucks :roll: each for them to last me over the next few months till the bunnies build up again. Havent shot one for over 3 weeks now. :cry:
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Post by johno1 »

No mate, actually the meds are working for a change, got some pain relief and might get some sleep.

If you recall Joe ( short & fat) over on AHN had a zastva hornet K'd, he had to get the actions and barrel threaded, I think you will find they are press fit. Nor sure but anything to save you money

Hey why did'nt you send me some pics of the old utes, memory playing up now your getting older :wink:

johno
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

johno1 wrote:No mate, actually the meds are working for a change, got some pain relief and might get some sleep.

If you recall Joe ( short & fat) over on AHN had a zastva hornet K'd, he had to get the actions and barrel threaded, I think you will find they are press fit. Nor sure but anything to save you money

Hey why did'nt you send me some pics of the old utes, memory playing up now your getting older :wink:

johno

Yeah I remember that mate, that's the trouble with playing around with toy guns like hornets, real ones have threaded barrels.

You wouldn't have been interested in them mate, I have a couple of photos, Ill put them up tomorrow, they are ummmmmm :homer: unrepairable. :D

He didn't like the idea that someone may just use something that he no longer required, so they were usually turned over and dragged around the paddock to smash everything.
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

Camel wrote:
Hows that set of PPC based cartridges coming along Scott ??
Keith is still working on it
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

I have both a 17 and 20cal on the Fireball case and and after seeing those velocities.

Does anyone have a Sako A1 with a stuffed barrel in their safe going really really cheap.
lawsie
Favourite Cartridge: 221 fireball

Post by lawsie »

Yeah I know all about the cz527 fireball. Researched it extensively before purchasing.
I have not tested the 55gr pills a huge amount as the 40gr HP worked so well. I should not my load for the 40's is well over max. The max charge in the book left unburnt powder down the barrel.
18.7gr of 2205 is what I use and I could go further but the groups opened up.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

MISSED wrote:I have both a 17 and 20cal on the Fireball case and and after seeing those velocities.

Does anyone have a Sako A1 with a stuffed barrel in their safe going really really cheap.

Funny you should mention that mate, I just so happen to know a bloke who lives down your way that has one in that obsolete 222 chambering, he very rarely uses it, not that it would be any good anyway, :roll: you might be able to con it out of him for what its worth, I reckon a six pack and it would be yours.................Oh hang on, that's right, it is yours. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Come on Camel why would I want to rebarrell a rifle I already own.

To me this is an oppurtunity to get another one
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Ohhh I dunno, a good reason to improve it maybe. :twisted: