Dash Cams - worth it, what to get?

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

As much as I hate the creep towards 'Big Brother' into our lives I'm considering the purchase of a dash cam.

Does anyone here use a dash cam and, if so, what would be your recommendations on type of cameras and features.

I don't want to spend much (<$100 with SD Card).
Not necessarily needing audio recording, but it may be handy.
Would prefer looping, auto-erase, whatever as I don't like the idea of leaving a memory card full of data stuck to the window.
Security (as above). Can the card contents be encrypted on the fly.

Oh, has anyone actually had a reason to use the footage for an insurance claim etc? How did that pan out.
Last edited by The Raven on Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

I have a Blackvue DR500. Bought it after a Jag pulled out in front of my son and he hit it. The other driver ended up taking my son to court saying it was his fault. The judge threw his claim out but the stress on my young bloke was considerable and if we had video footage it never would have gone that far.

In short, you get what you pay for. Ours were bought in a group buy on the hilux forum for around $300 each.

Mine runs 24hrs a day in a 48-72hr loop. It records in HD and will mark each 1 min file as parked, normal or incident so it's easy to flick through.

The playback software is really good and it will also play back through my iPhone via wifi.
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Re: Dash Cams - worth it, what to get?

Post by LoneRider »

got mine at stupid shit [supercheap] $40 or so on special. its ok but the higher the res the better.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

kickinback wrote:I have a Blackvue DR500. Bought it after a Jag pulled out in front of my son and he hit it. The other driver ended up taking my son to court saying it was his fault. The judge threw his claim out but the stress on my young bloke was considerable and if we had video footage it never would have gone that far.

In short, you get what you pay for. Ours were bought in a group buy on the hilux forum for around $300 each.

Mine runs 24hrs a day in a 48-72hr loop. It records in HD and will mark each 1 min file as parked, normal or incident so it's easy to flick through.

The playback software is really good and it will also play back through my iPhone via wifi.
I did take a look at the Blackvue but thought it a bit expensive for my needs. Yes, I understand why you bought it! I'm buying for a very similar reasons.

I think 10-20min loops should be fine for me. I want to catch the incident, not what I was doing 48hours before hand :wink:

How's the power up work? I assume it's automatic power up/down based on whatever power it's getting from the vehicle?
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

LoneRider wrote:got mine at stupid shit [supercheap] $40 or so on special. its ok but the higher the res the better.
What Res did you get, and what would you recommend? I don't think HD is really needed but it's pretty much standard now.

In other words: I don't want to pay for HD resolution I'm rarely to ever look at or need.
LoneRider
50 BMG

Post by LoneRider »

mines something called a "GATOR" model : HDDVR186

http://aerpro.com/hddvr186

but like with all things,shop around.
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

kickinback wrote:I have a Blackvue DR500. Bought it after a Jag pulled out in front of my son and he hit it. The other driver ended up taking my son to court saying it was his fault. The judge threw his claim out but the stress on my young bloke was considerable and if we had video footage it never would have gone that far.

+1 on the Blackvue brand.
We use it at work to record roadwork signage during jobs, 3+ years. Has gps mapping as well. Dearer but good if you can justify cost.
Put it on a quad during hunting or maybe hooked to the spotlight, multi use. Hmmm... may have to borrow it one weekend.
Bruce
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

Interested to here options as well. I figure if it saves me an insurance claim once in its life then it will well and truly pay for itself
GJS
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 30-06/.204

Post by GJS »

I was thinking a reverse cam comb would be useful. Saw one recently somewhere.
LoneRider
50 BMG

Post by LoneRider »

there are units with double cameras,you can have one facing forward and one reverse or two or left/right front.
doesnt matter which really,if your happy with it.
just get one in your price bracket and you'll be alright.

sean
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

GJS wrote:I was thinking a reverse cam comb would be useful. Saw one recently somewhere.
I think one of the Blackvue models does front and rear cams.