5.6x57 development

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
aaronraad
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: Solid head brass :)

Re: 5.6x57 development

Post by aaronraad »

Just to confirm RWS can make brass when they want to. Measured some 8x68mm fired cased I just received (probably 15yo) - 25 cases 284.0gr +/-0.5gr.

Should handle the bigger varmint okay.
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

Woohoo the custom seater stem arrived in the post today :D

Looks like on the weekend I'll load up a few of the 70g B&T's to throw at some paper and see what this thing can do with them.

May be able to sneak out on Sunday and test them if I'm lucky otherwise I have next week off and the range should be open Wed morning (assuming no total fire bans) :rifle:

It has taken a while but I think I'm almost there :)

Cheers,
Waldo
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Good to hear that your finally getting somewhere with that rifle Waldo.

Once you have it up and running - any long legged grasshoppers or bunnies / crows are going to be in trouble.

Mick
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

mick_762 wrote:Good to hear that your finally getting somewhere with that rifle Waldo.

Once you have it up and running - any long legged grasshoppers or bunnies / crows are going to be in trouble.

Mick

Gotta admit Mick it's already very close, the roos I tagged late last year with the Amax's were definitely dead, no doubt about that. Not sure if I posted any of the pics up here but here is one anyway:

Gotta get it sorted as the cool weather will be here soon and I got other stuff to do :hunting:

Cheers,
Waldo
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

I spent sometime in the mancave playing around with the new seater stem. I pulled a few Amax loads I had ready to test but wasn't real happy with due to the slight "ring". Anyway they loaded up a treat so all good there, I do have a handful of rounds with the faint ring plus the ones without to test so it will be interesting to see if there is any difference?

Next to the B&T's, the flat base of the B&T certainly doesn't like the 5.6 rounds as the ring persisted :cry: SCratched my arse plus sundry other bits of anatomy for a fen minutes then thought, eh I have a some Sierra 69g HPBT pills in the cupboard that someone had kindly given me. Quickly did a quick COAL test split round and loaded them up with the same powder charge I had ready for the B &T. A couple of the Sierra's had the slightest of "rings' but the boat tail certainly helped seat the pill.

So lesson learnt, gotta use a boat tail pill to make seating easier. No big drama but the learning process continues. Who would have thought an Amax seater stem would seat the Amax's properly :shock:

I'm going :hunting: tomorrow but have next week off so a range visit Wed morning may be in order. Really hoping this thing shoots like stink at the range.

Cheers,
Waldo
big G
7mm08 Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 223 rem

Post by big G »

I hope when you go :hunting: you are field testing those 30/30 woodies. :lol: :lol:
Going out for a look my self.
Good hunting.
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

big G wrote:I hope when you go :hunting: you are field testing those 30/30 woodies. :lol: :lol:
Going out for a look my self.
Good hunting.
Yep, especially for you large G :o

Hopeful of bumping into a pig even though I believe Sambar may frequent occasionally. Either way anything feral (or game) that presents an opportunity will be a test bed for the Woodie 150g'er 8)

I don't need any venison right now but I'll do what I gotta do in the name of science, the little brown and white dog will get a run tomoz.

Stay tuned for another gratuitous dog pic :lol:

Cheers,
Waldo
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

I look forward to the field reports
roadkill61
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 20br

Post by roadkill61 »

Waldo if you would want to dedicate a seater why not take one ,put some bedding compound in it, push your preferred bullet in (after waxing) and let set up. This way you would have a seater that supports the bullet for its entirety and thus no "ring"
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

That makes good sense roadkill, a little concerned about popping the pill back out though?

It would only take a drop of compound down there and I know have two stems one of which I wouldn't be using anyway mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Cheers,
Waldo
big G
7mm08 Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 223 rem

Post by big G »

Waldo.
Do we know how the woodies preform in the 30/30 yet.?
:D
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

big G wrote:Waldo.
Do we know how the woodies preform in the 30/30 yet.?
:D

Patience grasshopper.

Nah, see the hunt report :(
Flash Gordon
.22 WMR

Post by Flash Gordon »

I think the thick necks of the brass is the cause of your trouble,it is just harder for the projectile to expand the neck when seating,compared to thinner brass.
If you had a larger neck expander it should seat easier.Make sure the inside of the neck is clean,a brush with a stiff bristle brush would help,then rub a bit of powdered graphite inside the neck before loading.
Mike.
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

Yeh flash, those thick necks are infamous!
For the sake of making my life easier I'm gonna stick with boat tail pills. Out of the amax and sierra one of them should shoot like stink.
I do scrub the necks but I will give the graphite a try.
b t
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by b t »

Did you champher the cases?
Did you anneal the cases before sizing?
you may possibly need to neck turn the brass.

Tbh if its just a small ring in the bullet I would be inclined to shoot them with it in.
From memory you are not shooting to 1k so the difference in aerodynamics is negligible....assuming the ring is concentric that is.
Just remember the ogive material with these tapered jackets is very thin so it will damage somewhat easier than the other bullets you are used to.