Hatchers rifle stocks

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: Hatchers rifle stocks

Post by Camel »

G'day Cameron, a quick question if you don't mind :D can you do a stock with say a pattern from one for the action to the butt, and then change out your pattern and do the fore end that is different. My reason being, I quite like the style of my Boyds stocks for my Zastavas, from the action back, but the fore end is too short by about 4 inches and not wide enough. I hope you get what Im driving at. Thanks :D Id be very happy to send you a Boyds stock to copy the action inlet and butt area, then you could use something like a Sako varmint stock for the front.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Or my Richards for the front
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

trevort wrote:Or my Richards for the front
Yeah, there is that option as well thanks Trev. It looks to be very flat on the fore end, not rounded at the edges, correct?
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

correct

I am happy to bring it to him. Would love to see the set up and check out a piece of walnut for the 50th birthday rifle (oh no, did really say that)
HATCH
Favourite Cartridge: 22/250AI

Post by HATCH »

Camel wrote:G'day Cameron, a quick question if you don't mind :D can you do a stock with say a pattern from one for the action to the butt, and then change out your pattern and do the fore end that is different. My reason being, I quite like the style of my Boyds stocks for my Zastavas, from the action back, but the fore end is too short by about 4 inches and not wide enough. I hope you get what Im driving at. Thanks :D Id be very happy to send you a Boyds stock to copy the action inlet and butt area, then you could use something like a Sako varmint stock for the front.
Camel

Short answer is yes it can be done mate, but not just yet! For the moment I have decided to stop making new patterns (as it takes up so much time) so I can concentrate on machining stocks out of patterns straight off my rack. There is a fair bit of a backlog as essentially the patterns were out of action for two years! Also, I've had a fair few months without earning a $, so for the time being I'm just getting some jobs out the door.

Since you asked though, the best way to do it is to make a new dedicated pattern stock, then copy this into your selected blank. That way, if errors are made they can be corrected with epoxy, bog etc and reshaped before machining the final stock from this pattern. The process sounds simple, but actually involves quite a bit of setting up and re-jigging in the machine to get perfect. If you don't, you can run into all sorts of trouble i.e. barrel & action in crooked, off centre, not square in relation to outside shape and the list goes on! For instance - I made a new pattern for an Anschutz M64 silhouette style two weeks ago, didn't quite get it perfect and some re-shaping had to be done and two big days later I had my pattern!

The issue is that I cant really charge for the time to make these pattern stocks - I rely on them being popular enough that I will sell a number of stocks on that pattern over time which will allow me to get my money back. In the case of the Anschutz silhouette - I currently have 5 orders for them so it was a no brainer!

Another option is for me to supply you with a pattern stock for you to play around with? In this case - I could copy the barrel channel, top deck & areas from the action rearwards that you want to keep the same and leave the forend the full width of the blank for you to shape how you like. Thought Id mention it just incase you wish to have a crack!

Cheers, Cameron
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Hi Cameron I have been on your website but it really did not answer my question which is.
Do you do a Sako A11 late series stock (rounded forend and Palm swell) can you please post some pic of the Tassie blackwood as well.

Cheers
HATCH
Favourite Cartridge: 22/250AI

Post by HATCH »

MISSED wrote:Hi Cameron I have been on your website but it really did not answer my question which is.
Do you do a Sako A11 late series stock (rounded forend and Palm swell) can you please post some pic of the Tassie blackwood as well.

Cheers
Missed, The patterns I have that suits the Sako A11/L579 series are the traditional large thumbhole, small thumbhole ( this is a scaled down version of the large thumbhole in the photos shown a page or two back- really only suitable for sporter weight barrel) and Classic Varmint. The classic vt is the same as the British Classic sporter pattern (pancake cheek piece with shadow line, open slender grip) except it has a wide beaver tail forend and larger barrel channel. I have a mix of decent Blackwood available, mostly XX & XXX but also a couple of near exhibition grade fancy ones! It's mostly very hard, all air dried and very stable. Pics only off phone so the quality & clarity is not the best.
BW4.jpg
BW3.jpg
BW2.jpg
BW1.jpg
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Thank you for the reply Cameron I was after a sporter stock as opposed to a thumbhole but that blackwood looks alright
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Cameron, thanks for the detailed reply mate. I like the sound of having a bit of input into the making of my own stock, and while Im not any sort of tradesman, I do know my way around the tools a bit. Ill be in touch with a cunning plan in a couple of weeks. :mrburns: Thanks