SIGHTING IN A/R REST???

astro

Post by astro »

another good one i have seen is a camera tripod with a cushion on top, portable and very steady.

also for a cushion try the gel pad for a mouse pad, you know the one for resting your wrist on. apparently it works very well for springers and i am considering uopgrade from the bucket and pillow....although it works well

cheers
Karve

Post by Karve »

That's a good idea astro. I was eying off a wheatbag my girlfriend gave me, it kinda acts like a sand bag. Its large and soft enough, yet still firm in a way. The only problem is if she saw me produce that I think she'd hurt me! :shock: The mouse pad is a good option, I think I'll have a poke around work and see if I can find a spare one :wink:

regards,

Pete. :D :D :D
Predator

Post by Predator »

have you tried a full backpack? works well and u can carry it on your back! (with other goodies inside)
Karve

Post by Karve »

Actually Predator, I haven't :oops: :oops: :oops: Its so simple too that I just didn't think of it and being a full-time motorbike rider, I have a full back pack basically everywhere I go. Thanks for the great idea,

ChrisPer

Post by ChrisPer »

Shooting springers at the Police and Citizens Youth club, I found the group at 10m targets was perhaps 50-70mm higher shooting prone. THe reason is the same as a hard rest, except that the bones from elbow through to the palm are transmitting the vibration and bounce down to the floor mat and back.

It isn't enough to hold it in your hand; the hand and forearm must be steadied only by the lightest of contact; eg a sideways touch to a post. Resting the back of the front hand on a table will still give lots of bounce.

I have just acquired a gel wrist rest (for keyboard use) and plan to see if that soaks out the vibration at all.
astro

Post by astro »

chrisPer: let us know how you go with the gel pad

cheers
Karve

Post by Karve »

Hey guys,

I finally got to finish the 'pet project'. I dropped into Clark rubber the other day and bought an off-cut for 4 bucks and glued it on the top. I then screwed on four 1 inch square wooden plates to the corners to pull them down a little.

Finally, I covered it with an old black piece of rag and tacked that to the base. This all seems like alot of work and to be honest I would use a backpack in the field, but I now have the satisfaction of knowing I made it and it filled in a bit of spare time :D :D :D

Will let you know how well the sponge rubber/foam works as I'll be in the field tomorrow. The girlfriend suggested we go for a shot :shock: :shock: :shock: !!!

Regards,

makrand
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by makrand »

my bet is it will be way too bouncy.
:shock:
Karve

Post by Karve »

makrand wrote:my bet is it will be way too bouncy.
:shock:
I never considered that one Makka..... :?

I'll let you know soon as I'm heading out this arvo :D :D :D

worst case senario, it'll end up as a kiddy stool in my garage :wink:

RayG
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 375H&H

Post by RayG »

Hi Karve,
Your Stable table type rest looks good. But for a good cheap effective rest bag use what I use.
Get your Mum, girlfriend,or Grandma to run you up a bag made from corded velvet material,its thick soft and strong.And won,t screw up your good stocks.
Dimensions should be 250mm square with a zip in one end,and allow enough
length in the bag side panels to be able to take enough dry wheat to get an average bag thickness of 60mm approx. This bag works everywhere for me,on the benchrest,4wd bonnet,fence post if needed etc. I find it especially good with my springers using the artillery hold where practical.
Cheers Ray. :lol: