5.6x57 development

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: 5.6x57 development

Post by Camel »

Looks like you are getting the hang of it Waldo. Remember too, the flame is hottest at the end of the light blue near the end of your nozzle. My nozzle is again different and the light blue comes out about 1 1/4 inches from the nozzle. I use my torch mainly for doing silver soldering, so it gets good and hot. :D
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

I think there are a couple of things at play here in regards to my annealing.
1) I have no idea about gas torch's and stuff like that (carpenter back ground after all and we build stuff not set fire to it) and the butane torch just doesn't get the temp up there fast enough, it will do it but the heat spreads down the case before the heat gets enough up top.
2) These cases are infamously thick so takes a bit extra to get the heat up there (also see 1 above).

I just had a google for MAPP torch and I suppose it is just a different fuel that generates more heat, yes/no? So for those of you with a bit more experience at setting fire to stuff is this more like I should be looking at:
http://www.bunnings.com.au/tradeflame-t ... -_p5910235
Yeh, just wikipedia'd mapp gas and it looks a better fuel?

Apologies for using Bunnings there but I googled total tools and gasweld but couldn't find what I was looking for :roll:

Anyway, I've gone so far with this so far looks like I'm off for another torch tomorrow. Fair chance at some stage I'll need to anneal for one of the other calibres anyway.

Cheers,
Waldo
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Ill check my torch for you tomorrow mate and get the details off it. mine uses squat fat bottles that are yellow, sorry cant be more specific atm. I got it at Bunnings a few years ago.
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

Map to expensive lpg cheaper. If you are looking in bunnings they do both the yellow bottled 1 and 1 for lpg. I think it is labeled trade flame or something similar
Flash Gordon
.22 WMR

Post by Flash Gordon »

I have a little butane torch purchased from Bunnings,can't find the box it came in,however it is cylindrical about 120 millimetres high and thirty five millimetres diameter,nozzle on top with a button to start and a another knob for flame adjustment.The gas comes in a separate 200 mil can with a nozzle to fill the body of the torch. It gives a nice fine flame,I have no trouble annealing .308 and .223 cases.

Mike.
aaronraad
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: Solid head brass :)

Post by aaronraad »

I started with the kit below because that's what I required for work at the time. I'm only on my second bottle after 5yrs. The squat fat boy models are much more stable. The trigger kit with piezo ignition is great for quick on/off.

Here is chart on heating values, but this is still relative to the size of the flame (flow rate) you output and you obviously get a bump if you combine with oxygen...or Nitro if you want to re-live your Fast'n'Furrious days ;)

http://welding-information.tokentools.c ... tm#tab11_3

Propane is LPG; Natural Gas is methane; and Propylene is methylethylene.

I did have a small LPG torch and cylinder set-up handed down to me but of course the refillable bottle was well past the 10yr inspection period.

It would be fun to use a 240V electrical induction coil heater to see what heating rates you could get - http://www.theinductor.com/index.php, maybe not so fun if you have a pace-maker.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

My kit is the same as Aaron's. Just the bottles at one stage were short and fat, now only long ones available. I wouldn't have my brass in the heat too long, no matter what the neck thickness, it will heat copper pipe to bright red in around 20 seconds, brass being thinner is even less.
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

All good guy's, just spoke to one my regular plumbing supplies contacts and they just happen to have that torch (Bernzomatic TS8000) on the shelf so I'll grab it this arvo or tomorrow :)

Spent some time this morning and started going thru the previous factory loads (both once fired and unfired FMJ's) sized them all now just need to trim, chamfer etc and I'll weight batch them to see what I have.

Anyway, gotta get back to the cricket 8)

Cheers,
Waldo
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

Between the cricket managed to get the previous factory rounds all sized, trimmed, chamfered and cleaned. Just need to weight batch them now and see how many I get within an acceptable range.
Once I have them sorted I'll anneal the ones I'm going to use, give em a quick size and be ready to load and shoot stuff. 8-)

The ones above are the light cases I've been using with the 75g amax. The virgin brass I've loaded a few with the 70g bt are a fair bit heavier cases, be interesting to see how they go velocity/pressure wise.

Good thing it's not good deer hunting weather so I've got time to stuff around with this :)
Cheers
Waldo
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

How long did it take you to line them up like that ? Would be a laugh if the domino effect came in to play. When I see photos like that I feel like tipping the front one on the corner over and watching the carnage :lol: :lol:
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

Occasionally CDO kicks in, it's a bit like OCD but has the letters in the correct sequence :lol:

Nah, just joking. I had just given them a cycle in the ultrasonic cleaner then rinsed them in water and blown them out with the compressor that sits under the reloading bench. Sat them there to dry out properly, just inside looking after the youngster (well OK he's still in bed and the spousal unit is out) waiting for the cricket to start on TV then after an hour or six I'll go and weigh them 8)

Oooh, play is 8 mins away, gotta go get comfy on the couch.

Cheers,
Waldo
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

My mapp torch came from bunnings a few years back. Still on the first cylinder
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

The young fella and I spent a couple of hours stumbling around the countryside tagging roos, some good and not so good shooting but good fun was had by all except for those things on the coat of arms :lol:

Anyway, finished up and set up the chrono and run a few over it, results as follows:
70g BT Energetics flat base pushed along by AR2209
37.0g: 3207/3270 (first shot was out of clean barrel so may have an impact?)
37.5g: 3240/3295
38.0g: 3367/3355

So it appears the higher the load the less velocity variation, yeh narrow sample I know but you get that? No signs of pressure on any of them so it seems the 38g is where I may start from and load up a few to test of 38.0/38.3/38.6 and see what it does on paper.

Looks like a big day at the range coming up sometime soon. First things first I've got 10 days to fill these roo tags so may just load up some Amax at the last load I was using and go whack a few more with it :lol:

Just for interest spat one of my .17Rem loads over the chrono for 3889fps so it is hooking along but can comfortably go a bit quicker.

Cheers,
Waldo
b t
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by b t »

Drive them as hard as you like mate they can take it.
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

Bob was right, gotta use the right tool for the job.
A good torch makes a difference, thicker brass still takes a bit.
10 seconds per round using the cordless drill. Tried a damaged bit of 45-70 brass and that was heaps quicker.
Cheers
Waldo