5.6x57 development

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Re: 5.6x57 development

Post by Waldo »

Yeh Camel, I was keen to try something different to the Amax I've been playing with so far, so flat base lead tip and 5g lighter was about as different as I could go and still stay in that "larger" weight pill area. They look OK and I should be able to get a bit more speed out of them over the 75g'er.

BT, the 5.6 is a pretty smooth rifle to shoot so the tips should be OK.

If I get a chance this arvo I'll load up a split case I have and check distance to lands then run a few together to put over the chrono next week to see where I'm heading velocity wise before I throw a couple at paper.

Cheers,
Waldo
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

I put together a half dozen of the BT rounds this morning just to run over the chrono and see where I am velocity wise (got this week off work :D ) and the issue of the ring around the projectiles that was showing on the Amax remains with the BT's. Looks like there is definately a bit too much neck tension to get these suckers started so I may have to look at getting a bit more serious with the neck chamfer/deburr process, I'm only using a very basic Lee (?) type hand tool is there something a better to get more aggressive on these suckers? I had considered using my cordless drill with a countersunk drill bit but that sounds a bit excessive?

Cheers,
Waldo
b t
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by b t »

Sorry mate cant help you there as I use forster dies.
That being said my chamfer tool is a countersink in a cordless drill. :lol:
If this is the issue with those cases you pulled bullets from you might be better fire forming them with a wad and a few grains of powder then try loading them.

Regards
bt
aaronraad
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: Solid head brass :)

Post by aaronraad »

Waldo wrote:I put together a half dozen of the BT rounds this morning just to run over the chrono and see where I am velocity wise (got this week off work :D ) and the issue of the ring around the projectiles that was showing on the Amax remains with the BT's. Looks like there is definately a bit too much neck tension to get these suckers started so I may have to look at getting a bit more serious with the neck chamfer/deburr process, I'm only using a very basic Lee (?) type hand tool is there something a better to get more aggressive on these suckers? I had considered using my cordless drill with a countersunk drill bit but that sounds a bit excessive?

Cheers,
Waldo
I like the K&M tool with a 4 degree chamfer. Just remember you will change the case weight and maybe the trim length also.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

I use the lee and seat pills without issue. Are your dies tightening the neck too much?
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

Check your expander ball size it may be undersize but my guess would be the thick necks are springing back more than normal for most 22 cals after sizing or just that the that the thicker necks take more effort for the projectile to expand when seating.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Waldo, what is the measurement of a case with seated projectile. You may, may need to go down the road of a bushing type die, that way you can adjust the tension on your necks. Ideally you would want to look at around 3 thou under loaded neck size.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Flash Gordon wrote:The only way to stop the crimping is to reshape the bullet seater stem,to fit the projectile over more of its length.If you pull the seater stem out of the die body and push the bullet point first into it,you will find it is only bearing on a short distance of the bullets neck.
As you can see the neck of the case is extremely thick,unless the diameter of the neck is adjusted very carefully,the high pressure needed to seat the bullet will contribute to the deformation.Another thing that helps is to polish the case mouth with steel wool after case mouth champhering.

Seems you have a whole heap of stuff going on with this round. If you take out the seater stem you can polish inside the rim to ease up on marking the pills.

If your necks are too thick and gripping the pill too much chamfering wont help, you need to turn them. I dont have a 22 mandrel or I'd do it for you. I turned my 22x47Lap brass when it was at 6mm before necking down. If your virgin brass works and you dont want to neck turn, just chuck the factory.

If you want to neck turn and limit the outlay, buy an expander and turning mandrel from k&M in your calibre and I will post you up a turner body and expander die body to borrow. The mandrels arent that dear from memory

Cheers
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

I can not remember and do not wish to re read seven pages worth so please excuse me if my question is null and void.
Have you annealed any of the cases?
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

DSD no I haven't annealed any cases.

I just tried a freshly sized case and gave it a good chamfer with the drill. The ring still persists. The pressure on the handle just feels too much and when it starts to seat the pill. Went to pull the pill with the kinetic hammer it was stuck like the proverbial. Just seems to be too much neck tension?

The ID of a sized case comes in at .2205 inch OD comes in at .273 inch. Brass thickness st neck measures .026.
Expander button as best I can measure at uts fattest is .2225 snd the OD of neck on loaded round is .276.

The brass I was using today was virgin brass yet problem still existed with pre fired but fls' d brass.
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

Just tossing a couple of things around with my 3rd year mech eng student son, is lubing the neck or pill before seating an option?
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Waldo wrote:Just tossing a couple of things around with my 3rd year mech eng student son, is lubing the neck or pill before seating an option?

Probably not mate, I have never tried it, but that isn't to mean that you cant.

With an od of .273 unloaded and .276 loaded, sounds about right for neck tension. It sounds to me that maybe your brass has too much tensile strength, i.e. wont stretch easily. Maybe time to anneal and soften them a bit. How do boat tailed bullets seat ? They are usually a bit easier.
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

The amax (boat tail) still has the ring but it doesn't feel to have the initial resistance of the fb but still takes more pressure than say the 222rem I loaded the other day?

If I anneal one to try should I do it before or after sizing? Unchartered territory for me that one, still learning though you guys into wildcats must be crazy because this thing is frustrating enough.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

It's not normally that hard. If your necks aren't too thick maybe the die is squeezing them too much. Have you measured the od of a sized neck before you seat a pill? Is that only 3 thou different?
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

trevort wrote:It's not normally that hard. If your necks aren't too thick maybe the die is squeezing them too much. Have you measured the od of a sized neck before you seat a pill? Is that only 3 thou different?

OD sized neck at end .273 back towards tthe shoulder .2755 so slight taper?