5.6x57 development

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Flash Gordon
.22 WMR

Re: 5.6x57 development

Post by Flash Gordon »

The only way to stop the crimping is to reshape the bullet seater stem,to fit the projectile over more of its length.If you pull the seater stem out of the die body and push the bullet point first into it,you will find it is only bearing on a short distance of the bullets neck.
As you can see the neck of the case is extremely thick,unless the diameter of the neck is adjusted very carefully,the high pressure needed to seat the bullet will contribute to the deformation.Another thing that helps is to polish the case mouth with steel wool after case mouth champhering.
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

aaronraad wrote:Which brand of dies were they? It's not some crimping function coming into play with the seater?
Hornady dies, the only ones available that I could find.

I'm not all that attached to the Amax pills even if they do seem quite effective so far. I'll play around with a couple of others and see what shoots well and works best, this thing is pretty much a bit of a project to see how good I can get it to shoot and give me some practice (both reloading a longer range shooting). Anything I'm going to shoot with a big arse (comparatively speaking) .224 going along at a reasonable rate of knots is going to be in a world of trouble anyway, if I want to shoot something bigger got a few options up my sleeve for that :lol:

Cheers,
Waldo
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Waldo wrote:[ Anything I'm going to shoot with a big arse (comparatively speaking) .224 going along at a reasonable rate of knots is going to be in a world of trouble anyway, if I want to shoot something bigger got a few options up my sleeve for that :lol:

Cheers,
Waldo

Yep most of tend to just fill the gunsafe :lol: :lol: :lol:
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

mick_762 wrote:
Waldo wrote:[

Yep most of tend to just fill the gunsafe :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeh, I have a carry over goal from 2014 to 2015 to shoot a deer with each deer worthy calibre in the safe 8)

Gotta have goals hey :roll:
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

Waldo wrote: Yeh, I have a carry over goal from 2014 to 2015 to shoot a deer with each deer worthy calibre in the safe 8)

Mine is to sell some safe fillers(it will probably help to motivate me that I need the money)
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Waldo wrote: Yeh, I have a carry over goal from 2014 to 2015 to shoot a deer with each deer worthy calibre in the safe 8)

Now that is a worthy goal mate.
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

Stay tuned Mick, a few family things got in the way this year. Hopefully next year........................................
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

I just snuck out to the shed for a bit and had a crack at pulling the last two boxes of FMJ's. Bloody crap German brass out of one box 11 didn't fir the shell holder and the other box another 8 didn't fir the shell holder :(

All up that gives me 48 that don't fit the shell holder (23 live, 25 fired), I originally thought I had the holder issue fixed when I grabbed a Redding shell older as a couple I had in my pocket that wouldn't fit the Lee would fit the Redding, oh well...........

There just seems to be some short gouges inside the rim, I may see if I can get a dremmel polishing tool and get in there and polish them up a bit, not real keen on working the live rounds too much though :roll:

I tried one full box of the virgin brass and that was all fine, a good omen I hope.

Cheers,
Waldo
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

That's a bugger about the factory ammo mate, maybe just a case of chucking it in the river and sticking with the good brass. :D
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

Here's a dodgy pic of a dodgy case.
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

I can not really see the picture but is the damage only on 1 side?
Stupid question, have you tried rotating it and trying the shell holder again?
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

DSD wrote:I can not really see the picture but is the damage only on 1 side?
Stupid question, have you tried rotating it and trying the shell holder again?

Nah, the marks seem to be spaced all the way around which is why I kinda thought it must have been marks from when I had fired some of the hot ones, wasn't to be as it was on unfired rounds too.

Yep, gave the rotating trick a try, there will be the odd one that will giggle into a spot that works but that is certainly a rarity and if one gets in getting it out is just as tricky.

Camel, yeh the virgin brass seems to be the go :roll:

Cheers,
Waldo
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

These arrived in the post this morning, got some reloading to do now.
BT Energetics 70g flat base. Maybe a range visit next week?
Cheers
Waldo
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

They look good mate, like the big lead tips. :D Bit of a change from the rainbow bullets getting around these days.
b t
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by b t »

Nice big lead tips and a nice soft alloy is always a good combination but it runs the risk of deformation in the magazine under heavy recoil..... they work well though :wink: