Coloured filters on spotlights, rifle torches.

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Coloured filters on spotlights, rifle torches.

Post by RDavies »

Just wondering about filters and such on spot lights? I know a lot of animals don't like bright lights, but to get some range, I take it some power is needed. Have you found any certain animals are less alarmed by certain coloured light filters? I'm mainly talking about spot lighting for rabbits, foxes and cats, but feral dogs and pigs might also be on the list.
I also heard that animals are more alarmed by HID lights, is it due to the colour of the light or because they are brighter?
I am looking at lights for on top of my rifle, as well as one to swing off the car.
BP72
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Re: Coloured filters on spotlights, rifle torches.

Post by BP72 »

Halogen is better than HID for getting closer to most animals , a red filter is even better but they give me eyestrain and a headache . Fenring swears by green and red pills in led torches havnt tried them yet , I reckon a green pill in one of my torches is the next thing to try .
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

The bug has really got hold of you, hasn't it. :lol: :lol:

I have found with a roof mounted spotlight that it is better to use the edge of the light than worry about filters. They do work, but limit the range when you are using the light to find critters. When I find a fox for example, I will just hold the edge of the light so I can keep a track on the eye shine and not alarm the animal by putting the full beam on it. When they are a bit shy I will take the light off them completely and only shine the edge on them occasionally to keep track of them. Cats seem to be a little easier as they will quite often sit around and let you get pretty close, they will duck behind a tree or something and hide there, and every now and then peer around the corner at you.

Hid, the jury is still out on wether they are good or bad, I personally don't like the brightness and work on the theory that if something is shining in my eyes and its uncomfortable, then animals will pretty much do the same thing.

How you drive around has a bit to do with it as well, if you are just poking around slowly, you will see a lot more and scare a hell of a lot less than if you go charging around with the engine revving its head off. I wouldn't go more than 4 or 5 kph in the paddock except if I am changing from one patch of rabbits to the next. A lot of the time even less.

A tip......door mounted spotlights are the biggest pain in the arse that has ever been invented, don't even look at one all they do is restrict your space in the window to get the rifle into action. A door mounted rest is probably one of the best things, besides a new rifle.
RDavies
.257 Roberts

Post by RDavies »

Camel wrote:The bug has really got hold of you, hasn't it. :lol: :lol: .
Yep, sure has, I had a great time with you lot. Since work is making it nearly impossible to get to the range on weekends, some midweek long range hunting is looking much more appealing. With summer on its way, spot light varminting seems like a fun way to blow the cobwebs out of my centrefires.

It makes sense what you say about using the centre of the light to find the animal, then use the edge of the beam once you have found it.
How about with rifle mounted lights? Are they just not bright enough to worry animals too much?

Since I don't want to drill holes in my roof, I am looking at a roof rack mounted remote holder with a short handle, hopefully it wont get in the way too much.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

I haven't used the rifle mounted lights, but may do so one of these days, just for fun mind you. They may be a little unwieldy, having to use the rifle as a handle, especially those things of yours with the truck axle barrels. :lol:

Andrew may put up a photo of his way of mounting a light on his pootrol, its probably as good as any I have seen without drilling the hole.
RDavies
.257 Roberts

Post by RDavies »

Camel wrote:I haven't used the rifle mounted lights, but may do so one of these days, just for fun mind you. They may be a little unwieldy, having to use the rifle as a handle, especially those things of yours with the truck axle barrels.
The new LED torches seem to be much more compact than the big old spot lights I used to see and these are what I would be looking at for my 17 Rem.

I actually would,nt mind getting a big powerful light on one of my truck axle barreled guns for some long range night time fun.
PsePete
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by PsePete »

I have a Jetbeam bc40 on layby. I will see if it comes with filters. I have never used them but know rabbits like a duller beam with no harsh edges.
fenring

Post by fenring »

Foxes allegedly see less red light than we do, so won't be as aware of a bright red light being on them.

Red also lights up rabbit eyes much better than white or green.

Green also makes fox eyes really light up. Also lights up bird eyes better than white or red.

Fox happily sitting in the red beam of a red LED torch. No filter - red LED.

Green LED used to take a fox.

PsePete
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by PsePete »

So you just change the led bulb? What torch is that?
macka
Favourite Cartridge: 458 win mag

Post by macka »

I use a 240 mm Light Force and shoot on the edge of the beam but also use an orange filter when the foxes get a bit light shy or when shooting on my own .The Red one is to hard on my eyes so i only use it for close range or around the bush as it cuts down on the reflection from the trees and granetic sand in the Quarry i shoot around
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Fenring- is there a source somewhere for the red LED's? I have an Olight M20 that is very good for the 22 but does frighten bunnies away as its fairly bright. Would like to try a different colour if possible.
fenring

Post by fenring »

PsePete wrote:So you just change the led bulb? What torch is that?

A couple of my lights I've built up with a DIY body, and LED and driver circuit.

These ones here use an Ultrafire C8 body and Cree XP-E2 LED's with a 1.4 amp driver.

I'm in the process of getting hold of some large headed red and green lights, ready built. Some of these will be for sale in the near future as entire kits, some as lights only.

Brad Y wrote:Fenring- is there a source somewhere for the red LED's? I have an Olight M20 that is very good for the 22 but does frighten bunnies away as its fairly bright. Would like to try a different colour if possible.
You can get red or green Cree XP-E's from here.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1609/1 ... emitter-on

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1609/1 ... emitter-on

These can be driven to about 1.5A so your stock Olight driver would be too hot.

Probably about the cheapest and easiest way at this point to get on board a coloured LED torch is one of these:

http://www.lightmalls.com/uniquefire-hs ... ht-1-18650
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Yes maybe it might be better set up with the red one on the rifle and the normal one spotting. I can get olight filters, but doubt they would be as bright as a dedicated red LED
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

fenring wrote: I'm in the process of getting hold of some large headed red and green lights, ready built. Some of these will be for sale in the near future as entire kits, some as lights only.
Be interested to hear your pricing and any more details on the mate, can you flick me a pm?