Why dont we ever hear about ...

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

With rimfires the most important part of the rig is the barrel as with most rifles but especially with rimfires. After that you need a good consistant action and also a good stock design that will also give consistancy.

As with factory centrefire rifles factory rimfire rifles just dont compare to custom rifles. No question the higher grade anschutz match rifles like the m54 and 2013 are the best of the factory rimfire rifles but only a few of them can really match it with well built custom rifles. Currently i find about 2-3 of every 10 2013's will be as competitive as a custom rifle.

But do a little action work and fit a good match barrel to the 2013 and you end up with a good competitive rig.

The brno is not a bad action to build up a custom rig on, you can do a lot worse. They are not quiet as consistant an action as i would like but they end up fairly good once tricked up, and one of these things built as a custom will have the ability to clean up most clubs shoots if driven well and would not disgrace you in bigger matches either.

Forget the match 64 action for a custom rig as they are not designed well enough to customise and get good results. Leave them as a factory rig.

When you look around at what custom guns are built on there is a fair few things that work. There are a hand full of good actions to pick from as well as a few custom action that are very nice if you want a good fair dinkum rifle. There are many different barrel designs but most of these will be dependent on the class and style of rifle you are building. Stocks are the same, there are many designs and once again they will depend on the type of rifle you need.

As for rifle classes eg, hunter and custom. Its best to check your local area to find whats being shot there as it varies a lot. Once it was mostly hunter but now many places are just going custom class to simplify things. These days i find i build more custom class rifles than i do hunter class.

As for ammo the good stuff is usually the best and your rifle might eat almost anything or it might only sing with a certain brand and batch of ammo. Cheap stuff can also perform well in some rifles but if you want to run with the cheaper stuff its a good idea to batch them out by say weight and rim thickness. If batching better quality ammo you will often find little to no difference in the results on paper but it dosent hurt to check.
cheers,
Shane
Con
.308 Winchester

Re: Brands

Post by Con »

a.JR wrote:Try a Norinco ,TZ has one that all the Hunter and rf groupies HATE up this way.cost about a 100 $s to put together, i think , personally i refuse to shoot anything that makes a "PHUT" sound at targets ,rabbits are ok but..JR
a.JR,
I once got in trouble for daring to suggest that a Norinco might be as good as a CZ/Brno when you strip the entire thing and build up again from scratch using only quality components ... basically using the Norinco for its Brno Model 1 replica action. Nice to hear there are other "tight-arses" out there!

Shane,
If you started with a CZ action, what would need replacing and in what order? Could you start with just a new barrel with match chamber inletted and bedded to the factory American stock ... then upgrade to the benchrest stock ... then trigger ...??? There's no scoped benchrest rimfire competitions locally that I know of, so the rifle would see use in Silly-wets ... but ultimately I'd be interested in a competitive Hunter class rifle that with a scope change would not embarrass itself at a FLY event. The Sako Finnfire Varmint (why did I sell it!! :cry: ) I used to own convinced me that quality ammunition was the only way to go ... so I'm happy to feed it the top stuff 95% of its shooting time. I could also use it on the farm to quietly snipe at starlings in the paddocks when we cut for hay :twisted:
Cheers...
Con
Harleyboy

Post by Harleyboy »

Bring on the Rimfires I say, Rimfire benchrest is fantastic.
get yourself a rifle & feed it whatever ammo it likes most & go compete.Later as you learn from others you can improve your gear as finances allow.Low recoil & noise is a bonus and the barrel will hold good accuracy for many many thousands or shots, Unlike Centrefire PPC & long range stuff you will not be back looking for a gunsmith to replace barrels every thousand rounds or less.
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

Con PM sent but yes basicly it can be built up in a couple of goes the first and most important is working over the action and fitting a match barrel. The rest can follow after if you like.
cheers,
Shane
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Harleyboy has summed it up perfectly,get out there and into it. :D
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

chris.tyne wrote:Harleyboy has summed it up perfectly,get out there and into it. :D
That's what I'm hoping to do!!! So ... what number of grooves? Tuner or no tuner? So many questions ... think I'll just find an action first then take it from there! :lol:
Cheers...
Con