CG Mellenium

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

I first saw a prototype of the Millenium action when a well known Silhouette and Field Rifle shooter and gunsmith brought one up for all us plebs to have a gander at. Like most things done specifically for fullbore, i found the need for speed emphasis lost on a number of actions like the RPA and others in a discipline that is rather pedestrian compared to the likes of BR. The only real value that any of this engineering has for fullbore is the locktime but unfurtunately this has been lost in most of the over engineering and over designed creations of recent times. Multi lugs and short bolt lifts in a discipline that has eons of time between record shots is baffling to me. The likes of RPAs with their four locking lugs limit the extraction duration and the helix angle is such that the bolt lift if not assisted with roller cocking pieces like on more recent actions, is stiffer by a long way as compared to a dual lug bolt. This is because the helix is so short in pin draw that the spring has to be so stiff so as to make sure the primer ignites reliably. Every RPA i have ever seen has shown galling of the bolt lugs due to this stiffer bolt lift. I would imagine the Millenium is no different. The one thing on the minds of a designer of actions for fullbore seems to me to be make sure this action is never used in BR. Well they do a damn good job of that as i have never seen a RPA or Millenium on a bench line yet. There are a few Barnyards about though.
Now if we go to a modern Stolle for example, the engineers there have worked out that with a 60 thou firing pin, it only requires 9 lbs of spring preload to set off a primer reliably. Even so they use a preload of 16 lbs as opposed to a stock 700 at 24-26 lbs. With a 6 mil pin draw and the associated shallow helix angle, the bolt lift is effortless to the point that small changes in pressure on cases can be felt by their extraction.
Everyone chooses their actions for the job at hand, and in this case the Milenium is no different. Unfortunately the makers of this action have discontinued its production so you may one day have a collectors item.
Sometimes when one goes fishing they catch a fish.

Tony Z.
Mick
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 105mm

Post by Mick »

Think I boated that one in record time too.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Mick,

I think we should encourgae participation mate .. a Millenium rifle at the Fly would make for a change and after all its only like shooting F Class and thats not very hard (apparently)

cheers
Rinso
prodj1000@hotmail.com

millenium

Post by prodj1000@hotmail.com »

The milleniums is based on the rpa action, but isn't one, not that there is anything wrong with them, there brilliant for what we need them to do.
There was alot mentioned about the firing pin, it is a free-floating pin to aid in the very fast lock time, the action is as smoothe a silk and you are right, they did discontinue making them because of a disagreement between certain people. Many people are looking for these actions and paying quite a bit to get them, but, each to there own i say.

I might shoot F-class for a bit of fun one day rinso, i didn't say it was easy, but my idea of shooting is not resting the rifle on anything but you hands. conrolling your heart rate, breathing, pulses, oxygen levels is critical, let alone reading the wind,mirage which you guys need as an art.

i am told to expect under an inch group at 300yrds with wont be as accurate as your beasts, but still bloody good
Mick
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 105mm

Post by Mick »

Rinso wrote:Mick,

I think we should encourgae participation mate .. a Millenium rifle at the Fly would make for a change and after all its only like shooting F Class and thats not very hard (apparently)

cheers
Rinso
I'd encourage that whole heartedly.

Far be it from me to miss an opportunity to take the piss though.
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

i am told to expect under an inch group at 300yrds with wont be as accurate as your beasts, but still bloody good
prodjy..... bloody good, that's bloody phenominal...actually thats a lot to expect mate :D the Australian record group at 300 yds off the bench for a sporter class gun is 0.688", LV is 0.459" and Heavy is 0.383"....but by all means if your gun can do it......brag about it :D

I would love a look at that bedding arrangement, please try to post a photo.....very interesting.

KY
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

prodj100,
i've shot F-class and i can definately tell you which requires more skill.
i didn't say it was easy
You certainly inferred it was less skilful than TR ... and having shot both I would say I disagree .. but thats my opinion and you are entitled to yours.
but my idea of shooting is not resting the rifle on anything but you hands. conrolling your heart rate, breathing, pulses, oxygen levels is critical, let alone reading the wind,mirage which you guys need as an art.
I assume you dont use a shooting jacket, single point sling and shooting mat then ????? or do they count as just your hands ????

I will have to learn to do the heart rate, breathing etc might just improve my scores :shock: :shock: :shock:

By the way using any kind of magnifying lens in your sights ie eagle eyes is just a scope without the tube isn't it ????

Dont get upset just smile ... having a dig is all

cheers
Rinso
prodj1000@hotmail.com

[img][img]http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd17 ... Action.jpg[/img][/img]

The millenium action
prodj1000@hotmail.com

[img][img]http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd17 ... 42_IMG.jpg[/img]

trigger made my MHE
CG HHE[/img]
prodj1000@hotmail.com

prodj1000@hotmail.com

prodj1000@hotmail.com

woob614271
17Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 17Rem, 22.250AI, 308

Post by woob614271 »

Wow! proji, a shmicko piece of gear.
Rifles are interesting things, and accurate rifles are even MORE interesting...
Dave.223
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmBR

Post by Dave.223 »

Yeah that looks choice. I like that a lot but could not resist carrying it bush to shoot bunnies at a long distance. :D
Thought I had seen something similar on 6mmbr.com. Yes it is a lot like the Quadlock, made by RPA. Very high quality,very nice.
prodj1000@hotmail.com

Using a 308 for bunnies, thats messy and its a bit heavy for lugging around on foot, but when i get a scope for it, we mite see how far we can hit somthing from, unless i have already made my custom play toy by then