Powder Storage and How much is too much?

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
aushunter
Favourite Cartridge: 50bmg

Re: Powder Storage and How much is too much?

Post by aushunter »

The Raven wrote:Comments by me in italics

I've just done some research for NSW and found the information readily available, so there won't be a huge post here (hopefully)

NSW Police make a nice info sheet as below.

NSW Firearms Registry
http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass ... y_2014.pdf

Are there restrictions on the quantity of ammunition that can be stored?

Yes, no more than 12kg of propellant powder and/or gunpowder can be stored. If the amount of propellant powder and/or gunpowder exceeds 12kg, a licence from Workcover is required.

I'd be interested to know the difference between "propellant powder" and "gunpowder" as Vic Police use similar terms, and neither define it. However, NSW treats both the same volume wise (12Kg)

WorkCover NSW
http://www.workcover.nsw.gov.au/formspu ... s_5258.pdf

For Dealers:
If you are a dealer or have a firearms permit to sell under the Firearms Act 1996 – eg owner of a gun shop or shooting club – you are not required to be licensed with WorkCover provided you store for sale not more than 10kg of propellant powder and/or gunpowder. The quantity of ammunition, percussion caps and capped cases that may be stored without a licence from WorkCover is unlimited.

If you store for sale more than 10kg of propellant powder and/or gunpowder, you need a licence to store from WorkCover.

For everyone else, with a firearms license...

If you are a shooter licensed under the Firearms Act 1996, you do not need a licence from WorkCover to store any quantity of ammunition, percussion caps, capped cartridges and up to 10kg of propellant powder and/or gunpowder, provided they are for your personal use with your firearm.

Basically, anyone with more than 10Kg of powder needs a WorkCover license to do so! Noting the NSW Firearms Registry is therefore WRONG to state 12Kg!

How simple was that compared to the Vic legislation? Of course, NSW has silly laws regarding the ability to purchase ammunition...

Note that there are also specific storage rules depending on the type of powders, primers etc being stored. That's for another thread...

If you hold a firearms license and are NOT a dealer, you can store without any special license:

10Kg of powder,
unlimited rounds,
unlimited primers.
However, it must be for your firearm(s) AND stored appropriately...
Work cover has 12kg limit?
From 1 September 2013, the Explosives Regulation 2013 replaces the Explosives Regulation 2005. The changes to licensing of explosives and fireworks means:
you do not need a licence to learn blasting
you do not need an explosives licence if you store up to 12kg of propellant powder for reloading purposes – and hold a licence under the Firearms Act 1996
you can get a single-use fireworks licence up to four times a year
there are changes to licence conditions (ie explosive licensing conditions and conditions applying to pyrotechnician and fireworks (single use) licences) and licence fees have changed - refer to the WorkCover NSW fees schedule
an unsupervised handling licence has been abolished and replaced with a security clearance.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Fair enough, it may be increased to 12Kg. I was quoting the referenced info sheet which by its own disclaimer isn't the actual legislation. So, it could be out of date and would explain why the police FAQ (updated Jan 2014) says 12Kg.

I'll update that tomorrow, when I'm not using an iPad.

Thanks for the correction!
aushunter
Favourite Cartridge: 50bmg

Post by aushunter »

That's ok mate, the more powder the better. I thought it was 10kg as well.
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

juzz338 wrote:This brings about a question for me, I do not consider kieths powder collection to be excessive nor old mate who posted in the prepping topic not that long ago, so my question is how much powder, primers and projectiles do you need to have for it to become excessive?
after re reading this all i can say is after being caught out the time we had a powder shortage

and coming from a low income background AFAIC there is no such thing as excessive if you

have the cash at the time and no bills to pay i would buy 1000 kg if i had somewhere to put

it .

don't ask me how many primers i have as without them ya fu@#$&.........

now all i have to do is get some more brass looks like i will have to get some 300WM brass

and reform that ..........

cheers D
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

aushunter wrote:That's ok mate, the more powder the better. I thought it was 10kg as well.
Just a quick question before I head off to work, do you have a link for that update as I'd like to reference that? Saves me having to look for it :wink:
Tezza
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Tezza »

The Raven wrote:I wouldn't know BUT while researching this I do recall reading that Police can be agents for WorkCover. Presumably, this is on an 'as required' basis with WorkCover officials also being in attendance. Of course, this could differ by state.

I was asked about my ammunition storage during an inspection, but at that time I had zero ammunition...
Hmmm, doesn't seem to be to black and white. That concerns me as it could allow some farkwit in a uniform to interpret it as they like. Cheers for the info again mate.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Tezza wrote:
The Raven wrote:I wouldn't know BUT while researching this I do recall reading that Police can be agents for WorkCover. Presumably, this is on an 'as required' basis with WorkCover officials also being in attendance. Of course, this could differ by state.

I was asked about my ammunition storage during an inspection, but at that time I had zero ammunition...
Hmmm, doesn't seem to be to black and white. That concerns me as it could allow some farkwit in a uniform to interpret it as they like. Cheers for the info again mate.
More a case of me not remembering in black and white... I wouldn't panic over it. I just think it means that Police can be invited along by WorkCover to reinforce their authority.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

OK Folks, I've updated the info on NSW post.

Any future updates I'll try to make in the original post, with a note at the top specifying when it was updated.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Thanks Raven you are doing a bloody good job mate, I couldn't be fucked looking through and reading all that shit the way they put it.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

The Raven wrote:
stinkitup wrote:Wow Raven great work there, it is hard to cut through the written BS to actually understand how and it what manner this stuff actually affects us sometimes.

40 000 rounds aye thats a few, will have to keep stocking up.
When I got stuck into shooting I was hearing lots of stories about different things (mag capacities, safe storage etc) and most weren't backed up (or state specific). That's not to say I have it all correct here, just reading the legislation and trying to find out what's in black & white. I'm open to any corrections and clarifications.

Oh, when you reach 40,000 rounds send me the extras...
Again Raven thanks for the hard work here.

Oh and as I am above the Mexican border when I reach the 40 000 mark instead of posting them on I'll just rub it in and tell you I have 40 001 :mrgreen: :twisted:

Now here's a question, are pellets for air rifles ammunition?

Ryan
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

stinkitup wrote: Again Raven thanks for the hard work here.

Oh and as I am above the Mexican border when I reach the 40 000 mark instead of posting them on I'll just rub it in and tell you I have 40 001 :mrgreen: :twisted:

Now here's a question, are pellets for air rifles ammunition?

Ryan
I wondered when someone would ask that...

The answer is unfortunately YES! It also gets much worse as it covers gas cartridges, but presumably not scuba tanks :?
It also has the same storage requirements, which could be a real gotcha! :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass ... y_2014.pdf

What is ammunition?
Section 4 of the Firearms Act 1996 defines ammunition as including:
* Any article consisting of a cartridge case fitted with a primer and a projectile, or
* Any article consisting of a cartridge case fitted with a primer and containing a propelling charge and a projectile, or
* Blank cartridges, airgun pellets, training cartridges or gas cartridges, or
* Any other article prescribed by the regulations for the purpose of this definition.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

I have always figured they would be. I keep them with my other ammo. I can just see it now when they arrest me and the media says man with thoudands of rounds of ammo arrested. About 100 22lr 50 cf and 4000 air rifle pellets :lol:
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

stinkitup wrote:I have always figured they would be. I keep them with my other ammo. I can just see it now when they arrest me and the media says man with thoudands of rounds of ammo arrested. About 100 22lr 50 cf and 4000 air rifle pellets :lol:
Yep, the media would do that. They'd simply state you had a cache of several thousand rounds of ammunition.

But BB's aren't mentioned in the legislation... :wink:
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

stinkitup wrote:I have always figured they would be. I keep them with my other ammo. I can just see it now when they arrest me and the media says man with thoudands of rounds of ammo arrested. About 100 22lr 50 cf and 4000 air rifle pellets :lol:
You and your tacticool sniper Daisy Red Rider....

stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

The Raven wrote:
You and your tacticool sniper Daisy Red Rider....

Shhhh it was meant to be a secret.