Bit of a surprise but good to hear

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
mn1863
.222 Remington

Bit of a surprise but good to hear

Post by mn1863 »

A couple of months ago I sold a Martini 22k hornet through used guns, pretty much the first bloke who rang up about it bought it. I told him how it shot for me and after talking to him, I could understand his reluctance to buy sight unseen, as he like others I have spoken to previously have been a little burnt by the less than scrupulous sellers on the site. I've had a pretty good run in contrast but usually try and chat to them and get an idea of the seller rather than just the gun.

Anyway tonight I was a bit surprised when he rang me to say thanks for the rifle and being honest about its condition, turns out he had someone do up for loads him, he'd put the scope on got a few shots away himself, before his son grabbed it and was out knocking off pests at 230 metres already.

Glad he is happy.

But I am going to miss that martini damn it could shoot, but I can't keep them all.
Last edited by mn1863 on Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Re: Bit of a surprise but good to hear

Post by JasonF »

Good on you for being honest when selling it. Great that he took the time to call you and let you know.

My experience with that site has been largely negative - two rifles both of which were nowhere near the condition they were marketed as. Doesn't stop me from window shopping there most days. :P
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Jason, I think you and I may have had similar experiences on that site, but then there is the old adage of buyer beware. I learned to ask more questions and get better photos. My case was a Brno 601 in 308, the photo I was supplied with didn't show that the end of the barrel had been docked at the rear of the front site, or that the pop up peep site had been dismantled and bits lost so it was useless.

Lessons learned the hard way are rarely forgotten.
mn1863
.222 Remington

Post by mn1863 »

JasonF wrote:Good on you for being honest when selling it. Great that he took the time to call you and let you know.

My experience with that site has been largely negative - two rifles both of which were nowhere near the condition they were marketed as. Doesn't stop me from window shopping there most days. :P

I've heard some bad stories too from other buyers, about purchases off the site, including one of a completely rusted stainless barrel under the stock of a stainless Sako which was supposed to be as new.

It's pretty disappointing. I know what you mean about window shopping though.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Yep only positives from me

Well done bloke it is good to get positive feedback.
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Post by Jacko9 »

Hey matt, Hows that hmr travelling for you?

I also have a few hundred rounds which I'll give to matt (your dealer) when he comes down to my place for a shot in a few weeks from memory, to give to you! Better you get some use from them.
hobbygodz
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 12g

Post by hobbygodz »

usually try and chat to them and get an idea of the seller rather than just the gun.
+1 on that.

I've bought a few nice ones from abused guns. I offer a non-returnable deposit of $60 to cover a new ad and post so the buyer loses nothing but a bit of time if I knock it back upon arrival at my LGS. I would pay the return post also. This definitely does sort the honest sellers from the sharks. An honest seller has nothing to lose if the transaction is done this way. I will not pay for a firearm that I have not seen. Cheers, Brad.
mn1863
.222 Remington

Post by mn1863 »

Jacko9 wrote:Hey matt, Hows that hmr travelling for you?

I also have a few hundred rounds which I'll give to matt (your dealer) when he comes down to my place for a shot in a few weeks from memory, to give to you! Better you get some use from them.
Hey Jackson,

It's traveling very well for me, another reason for why I needed to get rid of this hornet. Was wondering if you were still around or too busy studying these days. Thanks for the ammo, make sure you get matt working out there for you, after all he is a qualified boiler maker. Cheers
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Post by Jacko9 »

mn1863 wrote:
Jacko9 wrote:Hey matt, Hows that hmr travelling for you?

Hey Jackson,

It's traveling very well for me, another reason for why I needed to get rid of this hornet. Was wondering if you were still around or too busy studying these days. Thanks for the ammo, make sure you get matt working out there for you, after all he is a qualified boiler maker. Cheers
Glad to hear it's going well for you mate! Hoped it would, find the trigger too light for yourself? Nah mate, still pop in from time to time, just don't have a lot to post about because I haven't done a lot of shooting lately. Haha, nahh, can't make a fella work on his holiday! As long as he nabs a few I'm happy.
mn1863
.222 Remington

Post by mn1863 »

Jacko9 wrote: Glad to hear it's going well for you mate! Hoped it would, find the trigger too light for yourself? Nah mate, still pop in from time to time, just don't have a lot to post about because I haven't done a lot of shooting lately. Haha, nahh, can't make a fella work on his holiday! As long as he nabs a few I'm happy.
Good to see your still around. When has not doing a lot of shooting lately stopped people on the internet.

Trigger is good mate, just the way I like it nice and light. Have you got your 223 and 358 Norma yet?

Make him do something otherwise he will shoot all your ducks and drink all your beer.