My attempt at bedding an action

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

My attempt at bedding an action

Post by bimbo »

I have always said that I was going to bed the boyds stock on my Stevens 200 in 223 but to be honest it shot well enough and I have never really been bothered until last time I went spotlighting and halfway through the night I missed a few shots that I was sure should of hit causing me to doubt both my ability and the rifle and started aiming for chest shots rather than head.
I went to the range on the weekend and a few shots on paper saw it shooting well but not not like it normally does with a few erratic shots. Closer inspection showed that one of the action screws had loosened a fraction and the barrel could move from one side of the barrel channel to the other fairly freely - not ideal.

Then on Monday night at touch footy I rolled my ankle and doing a pretty good job the next morning struggling to work and unable to put on a work boot I called in to work to let them know I wouldn't be in. Now I am the sort of guy who will make the most of a bad situation and having a whole day free I figured now or never to bed the action. I thought I had all the bits I needed bar a set of stock screws but a quick trip to the screw supplier saw me back home with a 100mm long bolts with the same thread for the grand total of $3. The horizontal bandsaw made quick work of removing the hex head and I was left with there

After plenty of googling and youtubing I was feeling confident enough to get stuck into it and pulled the rifle apart stripping off the trigger mech and the mag box - which is a major PITA

This is what the inletting looked like before I got stuck into it

And after it was attacked with the dremel - plenty of material removed from behind the recoil lug as well as around the action screws etc

Then I realised I had forgotten to stop of at bunnings on the way home and get something to fill all the holes in the action and stock I didn't what to be filled with epoxy. Not to worry I live with little people who have a craft box and after a short rummage I found some plasticine. Also pinched a couple of paddle pop sticks to mix my epoxy, I knew these kids would come in handy for something.

Then I got carried away and forgot to take any photos but I filled all the voids in the stock and action with plasticine and put some masking tape along the stock to make cleaning the epoxy off a little easier. I also put 2 layers of masking tape under the tang as the stevens action only has 2 action screws - basically one infront and behind the mag box and by floating the tang it meas there isn't any undue stresses on the rear of the action - or so the internet tells me. The whole action and masking tape etc was given a few coats of kiwi shoe polish - black cause that was what was in the cupboard.
I used JB weld to bed the action mostly because I can get it from jaycar which is just up the road from work. I think it was about 15 bucks. It was fairly runny but was still fine to work with. I did read that you can let it set and thicken a little before using it.

Then I got to this stage
Once it was together I wrapped a few layers of electrical tape around it to hold it together and cleaned up any epoxy that had squeezed out. Then waited and hoped that I hadn't just glued the whole thing together for eternity.

Then after the appropriate time I undid all the tape, gave it a few good solid taps with the palm of my hand on the barrel and it popped free - relieved is an understatement.

Looked pretty good, good coverage where it needed to be and only pulled the corner of a few mm on the side of the action - I can live with that.
After a bit of a clean up with various files and the dremel, then a wipe down with acetone.

Actually turned out much better than I was expecting and I am pretty chuffed with myself. I have screwed it all back together and can't wait to punch a few holes and see if it has made much difference.

Cheer
James
BP72
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Re: My attempt at bedding an action

Post by BP72 »

There pretty simple , you just gotta bite the bullet and have a crack ! It's the right prep and something that will release the action that takes the time , then once the goo is mixed there's no turning back ! Looks like a good result bimbo
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Bout bloody time you got your finger out and did that. Looks like a pretty good job mate, well done. I've done a fair few stocks over the years, but I still have that lingering thought in the back of the mind, "Is it going to let go" Thankfully they always have.
GregT
Favourite Cartridge: 6br

Post by GregT »

Nice job! It might be worth sanding out the bedding on the LHS behind the rear action screw. It's only anecdotal but apparently Savages work better with the tang free floating. On the few stocks I've made for them I machine a few extra thou out of the bedding in the same area so it doesn't touch and they work great.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Good job bimbo, the other usual thing I have read with savages is don't bed in front of the recoil lug, behind the lug to the rear action screw and then leave the tang like you have.

Looks awesome! Good to see pink getting some use. 8)
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

I would be very very pleased with myself if I had done that
Gnome
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 375 Cheytac

Post by Gnome »

Dang fine work there cobber :D .. Will be round with my 5 to do up ;) :P
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Quality work James. Did the kids get their plasticine back?
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Great work and good on you for having a go,first one will be the hardest, they get easier form here on in.
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

chris.tyne wrote:Great work and good on you for having a go,first one will be the hardest, they get easier form here on in.
+ 1 :D

You have inspired me to give it a go.
bimbo
300 Win Mag

Post by bimbo »

GregT wrote:Nice job! It might be worth sanding out the bedding on the LHS behind the rear action screw. It's only anecdotal but apparently Savages work better with the tang free floating. On the few stocks I've made for them I machine a few extra thou out of the bedding in the same area so it doesn't touch and they work great.
I did read some stuff on the net about floating the tang and when I bedded it I put 2 layers of masking tape under the tang area, not sure what thickness that equates too but it shouldn't be touching but having said that I will either sand out that side of the bedding or put some epoxy all the way around to the other side pretty much just cause it isn't symmetrical :roll: OCD much :lol:

The kids did get their plasticine back and I didn't even mix the colours, much :D
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

that looks terrific, if you can do it, then I can do it. Now where's my CZ. :wink:
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Yeah Knackers, but he was only doing to a cheap bit of junk :mrburns: and could afford it if there were any stuff ups, on a CZ it might be different. :twisted:
bimbo
300 Win Mag

Post by bimbo »

Cheap bit of junk - yep, out shoots your fancy rifles costing may time more - yep :upyours: Well at least it did before my bedding job, I may retract that statement after shooting a few groups this weekend :lol:
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hey all, the carp are bighting, :lol: :lol: