LGS rant

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Re: LGS rant

Post by Plowboy »

Yeah it is a pain. Considering they let petrol be transported in massive trucks but a few kgs of powder is a massive no no. Maybe not post bust courier I can't see what the problem is.
Johnno67
Favourite Cartridge: 270

Post by Johnno67 »

Been in explosives for years, AN, emulsions, trucked in a diesel powered vehicle, from QLD, go figure!
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Johnno67 wrote:Been in explosives for years, AN, emulsions, trucked in a diesel powered vehicle, from QLD, go figure!
Yep much bigger bang potential there!
Johnno67

Post by Johnno67 »

If Nioa is the stockist for ADI powders, we are screwed, they don't have stocks, they can't ship it so why would they have quantities on hand. I recently purchased two 5lb tubs of Alliant powder, as Nioa had no stock of 1lb containers, ADI is an Australian product I think, so how do they get it to Nioa at all.
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

NIOA lost ADI not long after they grabbed Lapua and Viht. I think it is now Winchester Australia. Supply is so erratic on all powder, I cut myself back to 4 and now only buy 5lb and 4Kg tubs. Trick is jot to run out of two at the same time, or it hurts!!
Johnno67

Post by Johnno67 »

Winchester is in Vic so I would assume the same problem with transport would apply. Is it NSW people having this trouble or are Vic shooters suffering the same fate?
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Johnno67 wrote:Winchester is in Vic so I would assume the same problem with transport would apply. Is it NSW people having this trouble or are Vic shooters suffering the same fate?

Well as I said above mate Winchester won't ship powder order UNDER 100kgs. So dunno about what Winchester stocks are like but getting it delivered is not possible unless you shoot a LOT.

Apparently, you can go direct to Winchester (in Vic at least) and pick up powder from the horses mouth. Don't know if this is right but is an option if you live near Melbourne.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Johnno67 wrote:If Nioa is the stockist for ADI powders, we are screwed, they don't have stocks, they can't ship it so why would they have quantities on hand. I recently purchased two 5lb tubs of Alliant powder, as Nioa had no stock of 1lb containers, ADI is an Australian product I think, so how do they get it to Nioa at all.
None of this is any distributors fault, though Nioa doesn't distribute ADI powder.
The problem is OHS laws and finding suitable transport companies.. If you want to whinge about powder whinge to the bureaucrats.

On top of that Nioa has by far the best stocks on hand and frequency of getting more products than any other supplier in this country. You can debate me on this if you like but I deal with suppliers all day everyday and these guys have their shit together more so than all the rest.

The reason why Winchester won't ship under 100kgs is that is the minimum to make it worthwhile to courier with on of the very few that will do it.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Keith, never voiced an opinion as to why, I have been told why. Just said that 100kg was the minimum that would be sent by courier.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Plowboy wrote:Keith, never voiced an opinion as to why, I have been told why. Just said that 100kg was the minimum that would be sent by courier.
I wasn't meaning you mate.
Johnno67

Post by Johnno67 »

I recently had Alliant reloader 15 and 19 picked up for me from Qld, Nioa did not have any 1lb containers in either of these popular powders, Australia is a miniscule market for Alliant, Nioa have no reason to stock any quantities as they can't transport it into Nsw. Double jeopardy in my books.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Johnno67 wrote:If Nioa is the stockist for ADI powders, we are screwed, they don't have stocks, they can't ship it so why would they have quantities on hand...[snip]... ADI is an Australian product I think, so how do they get it to Nioa at all.
Nioa also supplies defence, as does ADI and several other companies. They have the transport for defence sorted, it's probably the 'civilian' side of transport that gets in the way.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

I was talking to a shop owner yesterday about powder and he was also frustrated at Winchester. He is looking to change powders he stocks to stuff he can get from nioa as for some reason he can get a small quantities trucked down from Qld. Now how is it possible that a truck can come from Qld with powder but Victorians cannot transport the stuff without jumping through more hoops? Bloody crazy. I have never used other powders than Adi still reckon I might be ok if my bloke can get it but if he can't might be on the look out for other brands, but I prefer to buy australian if I can.

Still cannot fathom why adi only wants one agent. Surely they see the damage it is doing to them?
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

Plowboy wrote:I was talking to a shop owner yesterday about powder and he was also frustrated at Winchester. He is looking to change powders he stocks to stuff he can get from nioa as for some reason he can get a small quantities trucked down from Qld. Now how is it possible that a truck can come from Qld with powder but Victorians cannot transport the stuff without jumping through more hoops? Bloody crazy. I have never used other powders than Adi still reckon I might be ok if my bloke can get it but if he can't might be on the look out for other brands, but I prefer to buy australian if I can.

Still cannot fathom why adi only wants one agent. Surely they see the damage it is doing to them?
Aus domestic markets just a drop in the bucket I'd imagine.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Grimm while you are correct, it's pretty bad business to fob off maybe 50000 potential customers(wonder how many people in Australia do reload?) just because you have a big market on the other side of the world. That being said, the price they pay for the same powder just drive me mad. It is nothing but a rip off. I would love to know if the ACCC or someone could look into it. How is it possible to be able to charge $25 for 500g yet the same stuff costs more than double that here? It is still made here, the packaging is basically the same, but we don't have to ship it half way around the planet to buy it. Yes economy of scale and all of that crap asside, this stuff is half the price of what we pay. Take our freight and they would be even lass profit yet they can do it. It still costs the same to make. Hell it's all made at the one time!