DIY duelling tree

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: DIY duelling tree

Post by Camel »

GriMo wrote:
Camel wrote:Hmmmmm, I see hundreds of plates that they use to sit the railway line on when they use wooden sleepers, might have to scrounge up a few. I did make a fireplace out of them a fair few years ago when I was out on the brushcutting crew.
Don't happen to have a pic of said fireplace do you? Might gave just given me an idea
To be honest mate, I wouldn't have a clue what the blokes out there did with it, sorry.

I welded 9 together for each section of the box, welded some flat strips over the spike holes, and when I joined the sides, strapped it all together with steel angle from a couple of old bed frames, the top and bottom were put in so the flat side of the plates were upwards, that gave me a smooth floor inside for cleaning, and a flat top for cooking on. The front had a top section and a bottom section, with the middle open to put the wood in, I cut a 6 inch square out of the rear wall at the top for the flue to go onto. They have moved camp a couple of times since I built it, so knowing them its just been chucked into the scrub or someone dropped it and broke it, they now just have a fireplace cut into the side wall of the hut.
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

Camel wrote:
GriMo wrote:
Camel wrote:Hmmmmm, I see hundreds of plates that they use to sit the railway line on when they use wooden sleepers, might have to scrounge up a few. I did make a fireplace out of them a fair few years ago when I was out on the brushcutting crew.
Don't happen to have a pic of said fireplace do you? Might gave just given me an idea
To be honest mate, I wouldn't have a clue what the blokes out there did with it, sorry.

I welded 9 together for each section of the box, welded some flat strips over the spike holes, and when I joined the sides, strapped it all together with steel angle from a couple of old bed frames, the top and bottom were put in so the flat side of the plates were upwards, that gave me a smooth floor inside for cleaning, and a flat top for cooking on. The front had a top section and a bottom section, with the middle open to put the wood in, I cut a 6 inch square out of the rear wall at the top for the flue to go onto. They have moved camp a couple of times since I built it, so knowing them its just been chucked into the scrub or someone dropped it and broke it, they now just have a fireplace cut into the side wall of the hut.
So that's a no then :stir:

Cheers for the detailed description. Gives me something to work from.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Oh yeah, I forgot you asked for a photer, yeah, ummmm, no