DIY duelling tree

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

DIY duelling tree

Post by B4408 »

I've been looking for some more hard steel to make more gongs and I came across some used grader blades at work. Thinking they would possibly be OK I grabbed one and took it a friends paddock and tried the 223 and 243 on it at 50m and 100m and it barely marked it and also it wasn't to brittle.
Grader blade test shots
Grader blade test shots
IMG_2236.JPG (120.41 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
IMG_2237a.jpg
4moa paddles 16mm thick
(109.38 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
The only problem is that it was only 120 - 140mm wide, 16mm thick and has bolt holes along one edge. So I let it sit for a few days and looked around the web for different metal targets and saw a duelling tree. They're mainly used for pistols but I thought I could make one for the 22 at 50m and centre fire rifles to use at 100 - 200m. Why? well why not....something to practice on.

So I used a piece of 65x65x6mm angle for the post. Some 20mm OD tube for sockets. 14mm rod for pins and cut the paddles from the grader blade. I kept the hinge sloppy so that it will not bind if it gets rusty or bent. When I make gongs I work the size on multiples of MOA at 100m so you can compare it to targets at different ranges. I cut two sets of paddles 1 set 2 MOA and another at 4 MOA. The hinges and or post need to lean forward about 15 degrees total to keep the paddles forward after flipping, I mounted the pipe sockets at 10 degrees and lean the post forward as needed. Still need to make a base. I used a 14"cut off saw and 9" angle grinder to do all the cutting, don't have enough work now to justify oxy bottle hire.
Back of post showing hinge, paddle lifts out
Back of post showing hinge, paddle lifts out
IMG_2238a.jpg (183.71 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
2moa paddle and 4moa paddle comparison
2moa paddle and 4moa paddle comparison
IMG_2246a.jpg (127.66 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
The first test was on the small paddles at 50 m with 22 subs and it flipped them OK, will try them with the 223 tomorrow at 100m and 200m if the weather is OK.
On the web there is a lot of talk about ricochets. With pistols at close range it could be a problem but with the paddles angled and high velocity bullets I have found they disintegrate on impact and go into the ground below. I built this for 50m plus ranges and interested to try it out to 300m(1.3moa).

Cost = scrap metal, a couple of blades for drop saw and grinder and some time in the shed.

Bruce
The wife tried it with the 22 subs (she hasn't shot for a few years) and liked it and wanted a competition. Ohh I said but we'll need another rifle..... :D
Last edited by B4408 on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Re: DIY duelling tree

Post by kickinback »

Good one Bruce.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Nice one Bruce!

Have been thinking of a duelling tree hadn't thought of just angling the main vertical forward.

Now just need to raid dads scrap :)...... ehmm I mean good steel stores

Thinking some light gauge cut out like mynahs for an air rifle dueler would be fun.

:-)

Ryan
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

Top job Bruce, that should keep ya entertained for a while - may it even make an appearance at the next Missedathon! :D
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Top work Bruce they could be a lot of fun at 200m with a 223 and a 204.
I mean it would be no good getting your better half a 22 now would there
223 fanboy
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by 223 fanboy »

Thats seriously heavy duty.

Nice one Bruce.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

B4408 wrote:...........The wife tried it with the 22 subs (she hasn't shot for a few years) and liked it and wanted a competition. Ohh I said but we'll need another rifle..... :D
You are an inspiration to us all Bruce!
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

Awesome, there are a few old grader blades floating around out this way. Time to make some gongs
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Bruce, that's a bloody ripper mate, great to see someone else makes stuff out of junk that's just laying around. I can seem to be able to resist picking stuff (shit according to the missus) up and storing it for that day that will come along eventually. Well done. :D
Ol 55
.308 Winchester

Post by Ol 55 »

Bruce
You will defiantly have trouble with the welds.
The grain structure on the grader blade is very fine
need to use at least low hydrogen and preheat
when it comes down to it who cares shoot the shit out
of them and weld em up again.
Ol 55
B4408
.270 Winchester

Post by B4408 »

Camel, I'm always looking for another use for things, especially when it is a bit of an experiment.

Gary, the only weld is on the pin so hoping it is not taking to much of the impact. Someone mentioned down at Yass to use low hydrogen rods and heat the hardened steel. Luckily I was given a box of low hyd rods a few years ago (new they would come in handy) and I heated the steel a bit. Had no idea how hot to get it, only had the lpg torch so it was hot but not glowing.
As you said "shoot the shit out of it", cost bugger all and there is plenty of rods still in the box.

Also cleaned up my old trap thrower that hasn't been used for 20+years. Will give the boys a go and I"ll make sure to tell them "nose over toes". That sound right Coach?

Bruce
B4408
.270 Winchester

Post by B4408 »

Dr G, the grade blades are pretty easy to get, changed weekly here by th road crews. The other thing I want to try is dozer track plates, would be a good size, not sure how hard though.

Bruce
Ol 55
.308 Winchester

Post by Ol 55 »

Bruce
plenty of electrodes here when you are close to running out
let me know.
The grouser plate idea has some merit as you could bolt them
to chains etc.
let me know the hole dia might have something here,
although when they change plates they normally change
bolts as well, they will take a bit of cutting with your 9" "
Cheers
Ol 55
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Hmmmmm, I see hundreds of plates that they use to sit the railway line on when they use wooden sleepers, might have to scrounge up a few. I did make a fireplace out of them a fair few years ago when I was out on the brushcutting crew.
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

DIY duelling tree

Post by GriMo »

Camel wrote:Hmmmmm, I see hundreds of plates that they use to sit the railway line on when they use wooden sleepers, might have to scrounge up a few. I did make a fireplace out of them a fair few years ago when I was out on the brushcutting crew.
Don't happen to have a pic of said fireplace do you? Might have just given me an idea