Not feeling the love

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Teepee
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 20-250

Re: Not feeling the love

Post by Teepee »

Trevort,
If it was me I'd just build another one in 20 cal and keep the big heavy beastie
Can't have too many 20's IMO
So.....
Will it be a 20ppc or 20br or 20 dasher or maybe the 20/250
All good options

You know you want to, just have to convince the minister for war &peace.
Good luck with that!
mn1863
.222 Remington

Post by mn1863 »

What about trying to make it a bit manageable for spotlighting by shortening the barrel or getting another stock?
feralbuster
17 Hornet

Post by feralbuster »

so its not so much the cartridge you don't like Trevor, its just the rifle? I know what you mean about the JAB though, I made my stiller 204 up to be a 'light varmint' with a 24" barrel for the same reasons you listed, easier to deal with in a car or lug through the hills, as I don't have the time or inclination to do traditional varminting :D

If its a good shooter, it would be sad for you to pull it apart, sell it as it is maybe to someone who will lurve it? :D
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Post by Jacko9 »

If it doesn't really float your boat any more mate, either pull it apart and do what feralbuster did, have seen that rifle on AFH from memory, sure is nice with the S&B 8x56 too.... create a nice lightweight rifle in another cartridge, or piss it off altogether and put the funds into something else, way I see it, is there is no point keeping something you don't use...
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

mn1863 wrote:What about trying to make it a bit manageable for spotlighting by shortening the barrel or getting another stock?
Barrel is too thick to fit in the stock I would choose. At 26inch the 24 inch JAB matches its velocity , shorten it and then the JAB goes faster why would I ever bother using it at all.

And yeah feral, nothing wrong with the calibre but since the JAB 20 is practically the same for all intents and purposes I would get something different. A 20 Dasher, but then as Gary has said, where will I get the 55gn pills!

I have a price on an action and barrel from Seddo, a recommendation on a smith from this post and I know what stock I want. I guess I either do it and let used guns tell me if I can get the funds or try to fall in love again!!
Teepee
.204 Ruger

Post by Teepee »

Seddo advised the 55's were back in stock so should be all good now but if you were half serious I would be getting hold of as many as you could while they were still around.
I always thought the 20 dasher would be a fine little round
But thought I would have feeding problems so went with the 22/250 case to ensure easy feeding. So far have had no probs and if I had the chance to do it all again I wouldn't hesitate.
Good luck with your decision.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

are you using 55s? if so how fast and how accurate
Teepee
.204 Ruger

Post by Teepee »

I have them but am not using them at this stage.
My best group was using 2208, 3 shot cloverleaf measured .370 which I was very happy with.
Chrono averaged out at 3730fps. My 1/9 twist seems to handle them no problems.
I haven't tried to push it any further as I was happy with results but could definitely increase powder for higher velocity if I wanted to.
I use the 50s for fox shooting at around 3860 fps but they do make a large exit wound.
I just got some 45g hrndy' to try and I think they may be even better , avg velocity was around 4040fps and they grouped very well through the 20/250. So I have loaded up a few and will try them next time I'm out.
If your thinking of those 55's have a look at what JBM looks like using them at around the 3750fps mark. Zero'd at 300 they perform very well right out to 1k. I've compared them to a lot of other cals and while I'm no expert it does look like this would make a very effective long range varminter.
matang
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by matang »

Dont be sentimental, if you dont love the gun and dont use it offload it and build what you would love and use. Lifes to short Thats why I built my timber stocked 204R. What breed action you going to go for
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Well looked at the stiller Tac or predator single shot, same price. Think Pierce is cheaper. I have no idea how much a BAT would cost.

Matt you got me. I need to stop pissfarting around. I will put it on used guns for a stupid price and if someone buys it I will go with a build.
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

You have the action trigger and bits you need already, sell the barrel and stock get a rem varmint profile and PST083 stock. Great combination, almost catkilleresque :wink:

Waste of time and money selling a predator action for another stiller
Teepee
.204 Ruger

Post by Teepee »

Good point dr G,
My point was to keep it and get another one, in 20cal of course.
Can't have to many twenties IMO

As missed has said, love spending someone else's money
And it's so easy to do.

Probably makes sense to keep the bits n pieces you want and sell of the bits you don't want.
Can't wait to see the end result.
matang
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by matang »

I would sell the A5 stock as it would sell quick. Order the hs thumbhole stock you want. Fit a madco 1/9 barrel in 204R.
A 20ppc be nice but its not a huge advantage over a stock 204R. The 1/9 twist would give you some different 20 cal bullets to play around with different to your JAB.
Not sure what to do with the heavy barrel as dont think there be a huge demand such a heavy barrel and not worth cost of a re profile.
You would have a rifle you would use and like and only lost on the truck axle barrel
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

bugger
Last edited by Glenn on Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

Glenn wrote:
A 20ppc be nice but its not a huge advantage over a stock 204R.
Have you used one?

You get 300fps with the same amount of powder and the best brass made!

PPC accuracy!

I just had my 20 PPC barrel reprofiled for $200.00!
Cheaper than a new barrel!

Glenn