2015 BUFFATHON - Take 2

Read here often for site updates and other Site related news.
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: 2015 BUFFATHON - Take 2

Post by 220 »

MISSED wrote:Ok now you have told us how to do the dot thing how do I get the red texta dots of my computer screen.
Liquid paper or white out, erasers don't work on screens.
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Buffy »

MISSED wrote:Ok now you have told us how to do the dot thing how do I get the red texta dots of my computer screen.
Fuck me! are you that stupid? you shouldn't be using texta, instead, Use a whiteboard marker!!!!..... derr

;)

BB
Jock
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .17HMR

Post by Jock »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
crackers17
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6mm dasher

Post by crackers17 »

Does anyone know if hand loads can be taken on a plane. .
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

crackers17 wrote:Does anyone know if hand loads can be taken on a plane. .

Yep...most airlines require them to be packaged as or similar to factory packaging (MTM boxes always OK in my experience) and all ammo must be authorised in advance by the airline.

Check the cheapo airlines though, as some won't touch firearms or ammo. Qantas is fine - details here to get your approval:

http://www.qantas.com.au/dangerousgoods ... n-2013.pdf
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

When this trip happens I will be driving up from SA. In the months leading up to the event I am happy to collect ammo from anyone struggling with airline weight limits. All you would need to do is put (and pay for) an order into one of the SA gun shops, let me know and I will collect it and bring it along.

If you go with one of the Adelaide shops I would need a bit of advance notice to wangle a work trip south (1200 km round trip) but if you went through Des Kemp in Pt Augusta I would probably be able to grab it up to a week out from the trip. Des will order stuff in if it isn't in stock.

Most of you are keen hand loaders so wouldn't be able to take up my offer but if you can get your rounds to Adelaide, Roxby or anywhere in between I should be able to pick them up for you.

Dr G
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Now that there is a very generous offer Doc.

I was thinking of sending some components up to Buffy so he could load them for me before I arrive. He wouldn't mind supplying powder and primers I'm sure.
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Buffy »

Camel wrote:Now that there is a very generous offer Doc.

I was thinking of sending some components up to Buffy so he could load them for me before I arrive. He wouldn't mind supplying powder and primers I'm sure.

No problems mate, I have lots of baby powder here....... that should be amusing when you're faced with a pissed off bovine. :mrburns:

:twisted: :lol:

BB
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Camel, if that miserable pr!ck wont do any loading for you, send them to me :lol:

On a serious note though for all:

If you are planning a new GPS purchase get it plenty of time to have a good play with it prior to coming up to the NT - get used to it, get to know it.
If you don't already, start hunting with a small pack on your back - get used to a bit of weight as you WILL require water while hunting, this will also help with a general fitness level,
Boots need to well worn in, not new off the shelf the day before you fly out,
Aerogard or bushmans is a must,

Yes I know it sounds like "suck eggs" but the NT can be very unforgiving.

As i think of more, I will let you all know.

Mick
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Cheers Mick, knowing Buffy she would load baby powder just to see what would happen. I reckon that 5kg of ammo should see me out.
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Camel wrote:Cheers Mick, I reckon that 5kg of ammo should see me out.

Umm thats only 10 rounds of 9.3x62 - I like your style mate - shoot to kill with one round, not weigh it down with lead / copper :lol: :lol: :lol:
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

mick_762 wrote:Yes I know it sounds like "suck eggs" but the NT can be very unforgiving.

Mick
I do not and never have lived in the territory but will second Micks statement as the first time I ever went there my mate was hospitalized from something as simple as sand fly and midgy bites and I drove 4000km home with swollen legs and no feeling other than pain below my knees for about a week. Yes we camped where we probably shouldn't have but thats what you do.
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

mick_762 wrote:Yes I know it sounds like "suck eggs" but the NT can be very unforgiving.

Mick
First time I went, I was stunned at how different 39 degrees was in the NT compared to Perth...absolutely sucked the energy right out of you. No idea why...though walking 10km a day looking for pigs probably didn't help! The amount of water I got through was also scary....

Absolutely loved it, and can't wait to go back though. :mrgreen:
Dr G
300 Win Mag

Post by Dr G »

I have done some work in the top end before, even got to catch a croc from the river near Katherine. That experience has me hanging on the words of those more experienced my self. Katherine sure isn't the desert and the humidity will tear you a new arsehole if you don't give it the respect it deserves. I am well used to 45 and low humidity. 34 and 95% humidity will smash anyone who isn't acclimatised to it

Mick as far as I am concerned it isn't about sucking eggs, you blokes know this country better than any of us so your advice is greatly appreciated
Dr G
300 Win Mag

Post by Dr G »

On another note feel free to send me the components an dies if you want, I will load for you on this trip quite happily.

Ps I am pretty smashed at the moment but seriously happy to load some rounds if needed