Lee Classic Hand Loader - dangerous?

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: Lee Classic Hand Loader - dangerous?

Post by Camel »

I don't have any experience with the Lee hand press, I thought he was talking about the Lee Loader Kit in the little red box, but you are correct, anything can be dangerous if not used properly, I did have a couple of primers pop off when seating them with the Lee Loader, scared the shit out of me, but nothing else happened. I leaned to tap a little lighter when seating the primer. :D
engo
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by engo »

I was originally asking about the classic hand loader rather than the hand press-thanks for all the replies.

Has taken me a while to get my act together but for the amount of shooting I'm doing at the moment I think I'll give the little hand loader a try.

Will let you know how it goes
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

I commenced my hand loading for a 223 with Lee many years ago, the classic dies are my favourite type. I carry a Lee classic hand press with me when I venture out to the range.

They are great value for money and efficient. In fact to this day, it's used more than the Rock Chucker that I have clamped to the bench.

It sounds like your Gun shop were trying to sell you what they needed to sell you and not what you required.
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

Nothing wrong with the lee hand loader, your only problem is they come with 1 dipper that will limit the powders you can use and the only option you have for load development is seating depth.
Add a set of scales and you can use any suitable powder at what ever weight you choose to load.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

220 wrote:Nothing wrong with the lee hand loader, your only problem is they come with 1 dipper that will limit the powders you can use and the only option you have for load development is seating depth.
Add a set of scales and you can use any suitable powder at what ever weight you choose to load.
That is a good point Sean.

Engo, the Loader will let you just have a go now, and add the scales later if you want. Just keep Camel's comment in mind regarding the seating of primers.

If you want to get a bit more serious later on, then check the prices and you'll see that the Lee kits are about the cheapest way of getting all the gear you'll want in one hit. And you can still take the Lee Loader and the scales from a kit to the range if you want to work up loads.

And as others have said, the Lee gear is cheap, but for someone starting out, it seems to do the job reasonably well. I'm happy with my Lee gear, but I'm currently a bit biased after a "happy after sales experience" with them.

Think of it a bit like getting your first car. As nice as the HSV Clubby is, the Polo will still get you from A - B. :lol:

regards, curan