Hunting/Shooting rifle similar to 270 or 308

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Re: Hunting/Shooting rifle similar to 270 or 308

Post by chris.tyne »

Yeah............................be good to your father,.............son. :)
Tikka Shooter
Favourite Cartridge: 270

Post by Tikka Shooter »

tkm93 wrote:Hey all,

So I'm looking to purchase a new rifle for shooting pigs, deer. The 270 puts out some nice fps and has good ballistics but I'm not sure it has the projectile to put down a decent size pig especially caked with mud. The 308 has the bigger projectile but I'm not sure if the fps is fast enough and so the ballistics are similar to the 270. I'm thinking these are good calibres for the game I want to shoot. Opinions, suggestions, alternatives??

Thanks
hey mate, I have a 270 win and I've downed lots off deer and pigs, and much larger game. if you reload for it you can get even better FPS and with some nice heavy 150gr pills you can easily penetrate the mud no worries, and like others have said the 30 06 can shoot some nice pills to.
Tonele6
Favourite Cartridge: 6mm

Post by Tonele6 »

Hey Malcolm,
We invite you make sure you invite us please. What you reckon Jarrod.
Mick
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 105mm

Post by Mick »

Mate, I have knocked over a couple of hundred pigs over the years with a .223 and 68gn projectiles out to about 100-150m. Some big bastards too. A 7WSM or a stock .284 will have very little trouble doing it if my pissy little .223 can. No problems on the reds either, but as with any decent sized animal, shot placement is pretty important. Smack them right behind that front shoulder and you'll have no problems with either a 7mm or a .308.
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Post by mistit »

Tkm93 ,you have said you will be shooting the out to 500 m or a little further ,from my experience in both long range shooting and shooting pigs (best I've ever done is 207 in 6days) 500 m is a long way in the real world I would bet most blokes couldn't hit a dinner plate (about the vital area of the average pig ) with the first shot at that range unless you no your zeroes well and a little about the wind ,I agree that a 22cal will do it but there's no way it will do it reliably past about 250get the shot just slightly wrong on a good pig and his away ,having owned most piggish calibers and seen your talking 500 m I'd take the 308 in an accurate rifle every time (by accurate it will want to hold moa or better at 500 m )I've found loaded with a 155 amax if you can dial it in and use a good range finder it will be hard to beat ...just my opinion ,doesn't mean it's right though :D
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Post by mistit »

While where at it a couple of fellas have mentioned about not getting wrapped up in the velocity side of things ,they are dead right 308,270,3006,7mm rem mag in the real world for your intended target you won't pick the differance , if you were shooting crows though it would be a different ball game :lol:
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

Have a read of this post.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15138

Sounds like what you are after.

Glenn
Tikka Shooter
Favourite Cartridge: 270

Post by Tikka Shooter »

So I'm looking to purchase a new rifle for shooting pigs, deer. The 270 puts out some nice fps and has good ballistics but I'm not sure it has the projectile to put down a decent size pig especially caked with mud. The 308 has the bigger projectile but I'm not sure if the fps is fast enough and so the ballistics are similar to the 270. I'm thinking these are good calibres for the game I want to shoot. Opinions, suggestions, alternatives??

Thanks
a mate Dropped 4 pigs on the weekend WITH A HMR 17 made me think this little gun has a run for its self, it has almost no recoil and doesn't make much Noise, and its really fast. but then again I wouldn't want to shot threw an inch of hard mud!
chappo555
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

Hunting/Shooting rifle similar to 270 or 308

Post by chappo555 »

Tikka Shooter wrote:

Thanks
a mate Dropped 4 pigs on the weekend WITH A HMR 17 made me think this little gun has a run for its self, it has almost no recoil and doesn't make much Noise, and its really fast. but then again I wouldn't want to shot threw an inch of hard mud!
Go away TROLL!
pavlovaw
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 338 Lapua

Post by pavlovaw »

While i know and have seen pigs killed with the 17 HMR (and the Troll comment shows your arrogant attitude) it is not my caliber of choice for that game. As with the 308 i would be more inclined to use a good 180 grain soft point over a ballistic tip or V-max, A-max, as the bigger pigs will most certainly carry more mud on them than smaller pigs. Have seen projectiles fired at medium sized pigs (50-80 kgs) from 308s and 300 win mags appear to ricochet off the mud encrusted on these pigs and when finally killed only left welt marks, and they were using 180 grain sierra soft points. So keep in mind, whether using a 223 or big 30 you will need a decently constructed hunting projectile to reliably kill good sized pigs, especially when shooting out to 500 yards. And make sure you get a good range finder, as lots of people make massive over estimates as to how far they have killed animals and also helps with zeroing and making drop cards out to your desired range.
juzz338
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Post by juzz338 »

Remember you can never be over gunned, lets all buy 375's through to 50 cals
pavlovaw
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 338 Lapua

Post by pavlovaw »

Ha ha, funny shit, considering factories are putting muzle brakes on 270 and lighter calibre rifles most people would need to put two brakes on to handle the recoil!
juzz338
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Post by juzz338 »

Yes it was a joke. with the muzzle brakes however yes i understand that every bodies recoil limit is different and that yes shooting extended strings out of a large calibre rifle can be physically demanding and tiring especially when off the bench or prone, however in a hunting situation where few or limited rounds are fired most problems that people require a muzzle break for can be addressed with better technique. No i am not against muzzle breaks but i do find them a pain in the backside when some monkey on the bench next to you who needs to compensate for the size of his penis and buys the largest calibre he thinks he can handle and then gets his mate to load the smallest pills it can fire with as much powder they can safely stuff in the case is there for his four shoots a year and then tells you the muzzle break does nothing. Then take it off, to much work he replies, meanwhile your groups have gone to shit you have a headache and have not had a good day
CZ550
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .243 Win

Post by CZ550 »

Thought that I would add my 2 cents worth to this one.

In regards to the caliber choice, as has been previously mentioned a .270, .308 or .30-06 would do the job just fine. All have readily available ammo of the shelf of most places that stock ammo. If you reload then even better, but it really sucks being caught short when you run out of handloads from time to time. All these calibers have the choice of lighter varmint type projectiles through to heavily constructed hunting projectiles to shoot everything you may encounter on the continent! I have a .30-06 for a deer rifle, but found that I was only shooting deer once or twice a year - so I worked up a varmint load for a bit of fun on foxes etc.

500m is a bloody long way to shoot a pig or a deer from. Reset your trip meter on your car and see how far it is - I would have thought 300-350m would be a more realistic range max. We have shot deer with the 8mm Rem Mag that could be capable of shooting them out to 500m, but the longest shot to date is only 350m. Out past that range the organic component becomes more of an issue in terms of estimating holdover, wind conditions and accuaracy. Nothing worst than shooting a deer in the gut and having it run off to die!

Recoil isn't really felt in a hunting situation I believe - adrenaline sees to that. Sighting the gun in is the issue, along with load testing.

Enough ramblings from me,

Good luck with the choices!

Regards,

CZ550
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

pavlovaw wrote:While i know and have seen pigs killed with the 17 HMR (and the Troll comment shows your arrogant attitude) it is not my caliber of choice for that game. As with the 308 i would be more inclined to use a good 180 grain soft point over a ballistic tip or V-max, A-max, as the bigger pigs will most certainly carry more mud on them than smaller pigs. Have seen projectiles fired at medium sized pigs (50-80 kgs) from 308s and 300 win mags appear to ricochet off the mud encrusted on these pigs and when finally killed only left welt marks, and they were using 180 grain sierra soft points. So keep in mind, whether using a 223 or big 30 you will need a decently constructed hunting projectile to reliably kill good sized pigs, especially when shooting out to 500 yards. And make sure you get a good range finder, as lots of people make massive over estimates as to how far they have killed animals and also helps with zeroing and making drop cards out to your desired range.

I still don't know if this is serious or a piss take ,welt marks with 180 gners.