Lee Classic Hand Loader - dangerous?

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
engo
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Lee Classic Hand Loader - dangerous?

Post by engo »

I'm looking at starting to reload for my 223 and was considering the lee classic hand loader, BUT the local gunshop suggested (rudely...) that they were dangerous.

The way I thought you used them I would have thought they'd be just as safe as anything else

Are they worth looking at or should I just jump straight into the full press?
Con
.308 Winchester

Re: Lee Classic Hand Loader - dangerous?

Post by Con »

They are not unsafe, but you'll get more satisfaction from a full set up.
Cheers...
Con
makrand
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by makrand »

I bought two (.223 and .308) as a cheap and easy start but bought a press and some second hand dies about two weeks later.
I would recommend going straight to a press.
You can pick up a cheap one for $120.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Go straight into a press. Buy once cry once. Redding, Forster, Lyman, RCBS, all make good presses. And get good dies too- redding or forster (lee collet dies are good if you set them up properly too)
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

3 in the family all use lee anniversary kit just add dies and a trimmer. Does the job very well for the price. Their classic cast press is fantastic too. Can use all standard size dies from other makers and upgrade the bits as you actually need too. Or can get there hand press but still need scales etc anyway but they will full size most cases with ease. Also there collet die usually makes very accurate ammo.

Ryan
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

I have a lee anniversary too and does the job well. If on a budget don't worry about the others and get the lee. Has everything you need to get started and is easy to use. Unless you are seriously into benchrest I don't see the point of the more expensive ones. More cash saved for powder etc
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Post by daisy »

I used a Super Simplex turret press for years. I only reloaded 2 or 3 times a year. When I started shooting more I got a Lee cast press, which has done everything I need. I still keep the simplex and if i need to take a press some where it just need to be clamped to a table.
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

engo wrote:I'm looking at starting to reload for my 223 and was considering the lee classic hand loader, BUT the local gunshop suggested (rudely...) that they were dangerous.

The way I thought you used them I would have thought they'd be just as safe as anything else

Are they worth looking at or should I just jump straight into the full press?
Engo
I recently bought a 223 of a bloke and with it was a Lee O frame press [light weight alloy] not sure of the model a Lee powder
measure and a set of lee dies and a powder measure all you will need is a shel holder and you will be a goer don't realy know
how much I want for it but if you make me a reasonable offer plus the cost to post or if you came through the hunter valley you can pick it up
I have a photo of it on my phone if you PM with your number I will send the pic as I have trouble posting pics.
Just an option.
Ol 55
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Who ever told you they were dangerous was talking out their arse. I used two when I started out loading in the early 80s, first one was for a 222 and then a couple of years later I had one for 6.5x55. They are a great way to get into loading, cheap to purchase and make really good ammo. Back then I couldn't afford to get all the gear in one go, I don't think they had the kits available like they do now. The one thing that I would get as well is a good set of scales, then if you need to add other bits of gear as you have the money. I also had a Simplex vice full length die, if you aren't doing a lot of loading they are good bits of gear.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

I've never reloaded etc, so ignore my comments if they appear overly naive but.....

So lets break this down:

Lee = Reputable brand name to my knowledge.
Classic = Implies it's been around enough for the manufacturer to consider it one of their 'classic' products.
Hand Loader = That's it's function, which it presumably does well enough to keep the ACCC away.
Dangerous? If it was it probably wouldn't be any of the above three...

Yeah, there may be others out there which are better in some way or another. However, if it were 'dangerous' it wouldn't be available here (and other parts of the world).
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Even to get the handloader and a set of scales, that way you can adapt them a little and end up with some good ammo. I am pretty sure they just neck size.
Happy jack
Favourite Cartridge: accurate ones

Post by Happy jack »

Camel wrote:Who ever told you they were dangerous was talking out their arse. I used two when I started out loading in the early 80s, first one was for a 222 and then a couple of years later I had one for 6.5x55. They are a great way to get into loading, cheap to purchase and make really good ammo. Back then I couldn't afford to get all the gear in one go, I don't think they had the kits available like they do now. The one thing that I would get as well is a good set of scales, then if you need to add other bits of gear as you have the money. I also had a Simplex vice full length die, if you aren't doing a lot of loading they are good bits of gear.
If you are talking about the Lee hand press what the gunshop is saying very badly I might add , is that they have a potentially dangerous aspect of how they are used. When used they tend to get held close the chest and face area and if in the very rare chance that something went off it is very close to you .
The press by it's self is no more dangerous than any other and if used correctly at all times then it's no more risk than any other if you take the holding position out of the equation but put it in and some see that as an increased risk and they may well be right but it may also be over reacting a bit .
If you are talking about the Lee straight line hand loader then they would be not much different to using say a Wilson die and an Arbour press . I think it all comes down to the individual operators skill and care . Like driving cars .
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Are we talking about a Lee hand press, or a Lee Loader?
I own a hand press, and can not see how it is any more risky to use than a standard bench press. The hand press is also great to take to the range to work up loads.

There have been various stories for and against the Lee Loader however, but they have sold a lot of them, and if done correctly, I can't see the big issue.

regards, curan
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Happy jack wrote: I think it all comes down to the individual operators skill and care . Like driving cars .
Now that is a scary thought.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Raven Lee = cheap. Not necessarily nasty but nowhere near the best