Full Length Resizing Loaded ammo!

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
CZ550
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .243 Win

Re: Full Length Resizing Loaded ammo!

Post by CZ550 »

Just heard back from dad - he said the dummy round fitted no worries inside the RCBS FL sizer with the decapping pin/expander removed. He was able to resize a loaded round with no apparent issues in the neck area or with the projectile.

He will be bringing the press & FL sizer down on Friday to I can resize the cases.

I think I might do a bit of a double check that things are all good before doing too many - dad's eyes aren't what they used to be.

Let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for all the input.

Regards,

CZ550
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Maybe I worry a bit more about doing this than others, but before you go running loaded ammo into the F/L die, run an empty through and then measure what the outside neck diameter is. Removeing the guts of the die first. Doing this will show you how much you will be trying to squash the neckwall and projectile.
Do you still have the instruction for the dies that you are going to use, I know that a lot of the warnings and things that we get these days are a lot of arse covering, but they warn against running loaded ammo into dies.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Tha much effort to close on them and open after firing is not good.

Have been fire forming some AI brass and as they head space on the shoulder you can feel it firm but mot that tight on closing and then after firing bolt lift is easy.

If they are as tight as it sounds def wouldn't shoot em.

If the projectiles are cheap and you dont care if you mark them vise grips work great to pull them in the press.

You have 100 plus the collet puller offered is the best way. I borrowed one to do a heap only because I was reusing the proj. If not then get the pliers or grips out.
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

honestly I would just pull them, if you have a heap borrow or buy a collet puller. Definatly wouldn't continue to fire them if they are that tight. IMO it is just not worth the potential damage to yourself or firearm. If it is a new barrel and chamber shouldnt you be working up a new load anyway, just load a few and see how they go.
makrand
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by makrand »

So now both your Dad and I have successfully full length sized loaded ammo.
Does the FLS die neck size as well?
If not I don't see a problem.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

The good thing about the type S without the bushing and internals or the body die itself is that you wont be sizing the neck at all. I wouldnt be risking anything else just on the odd chance it may or may not work. A little bit of moolah to do the job right is worth it.

Now when I buy reloading gear I buy a body die or use a type S FLS die as a body die, a neck die, micrometer seater and use an RCBS precision mic to make sure everything is set correctly. Bump the shoulder back 1 thou when body sizing for easy in and out of ammo, neck die to do the sizing for bullet seating, micrometer seater to adjust seat depth accurately as required and the RCBS is used to measure the FLS or body die setting. Another thing you can do without the precision mic is take the firing pin out of the bolt and size the cases bit by bit until the bolt just about wants to fall closed by itself. Thats pretty much right- hard to check without a headspace gauge of some sort but will do for hunting rifles. A well set up system produces very accurate ammo that cycles well and wont ever cause you dramas.

Also shooting ammo that is hard to close and open the bolt will gall the locking lugs eventually. And if its hard to open how do you know that its not over pressure causing hard bolt lift as well? Safest option would be pull the projectiles and start afresh. That way its not a waste of barrel life or components and you are 100% sure your not going to be a contributing factor to an unwanted surprise.
Flash Gordon
.22 WMR

Post by Flash Gordon »

Do you people realise you are sizing the projectile as well,the whole idea is madness.If you had a body die as suggested you could try that or even a .308 Full Length die with the decapper and expander removed. Probably best to pull the bullets and start again. In regards to inertia pullers damaging bullet points,I can only think you have a mighty strong arm.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Buy a Lee RGB die set in 243Win, drill/hone out the neck of the 243Win FL die and presto ... $30 body die with a spare seater and a spare tapered pin if you ever need them. Lucky their dies are relatively soft compared to other brands. :mrgreen:
Cheers...
Con
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

Flash Gordon wrote:Do you people realise you are sizing the projectile as well,the whole idea is madness.If you had a body die as suggested you could try that or even a .308 Full Length die with the decapper and expander removed.
I second that plus without the neck expander the ID of the case and probably the OD of the bullet once sized will be way under .243 plus crushing a live round in a press is one of the handloaders top ten don'ts.

Firing these approximately .238 bullets shouldn't hurt your rifle but may not prove terribly accurate. I once witnessed a Darwin candidate fire 20 rounds of 243 for a match through his 308. He didn't make any hits.

However a 308 FL die may be your best option for survival if a bushing die is unavailable.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

makrand wrote:So now both your Dad and I have successfully full length sized loaded ammo.
Does the FLS die neck size as well?
If not I don't see a problem.
a FLS die sizes the Full Length of the case, including the neck.

During some of my wildcatting madness and necking down cases I have use FLS dies of the parent case to kick off the necking down process. Removing the neck expander means the case mouth is not sized back up to what ever cal the dies are designed for to grip the bullet adequately and makes going down in cal easier.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Been thinking more on this this arvo, have come to the conclusion that anyone who does this would be a prime candidate for the Darwin Awards. Its plain stupidity to do this, the chances of something going wrong are pretty good. If you use a body die, then ok go for it, but to use a full length sizing die for that calibre is just plain idiotic. Might sound a bit drastic, and piss some people off, but I don't give a shit, remember that you are playing around with 50 to 60 thousand psi, right in front of your face. Please use safe reloading practices, the manufacturers of reloading gear and components don't put the warnings on their products for nothing
And another thing, how the hell are you going to damage the pretty red tips on the projectiles using an inertia puller, I use one when ever I stuff things up, generally using soft tips and haven't damaged one yet, do you think its more important how pretty your projectile looks, or figure that its a fair trade to potentially blow your rifle up, maybe damaging yourself in the process and anyone else nearby.

DUMB MOOVE

Off the soap box now, just had a shit couple of days skinning rabbits. :evil:
juzz338
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Post by juzz338 »

If you are worried about bullet tips just put some tissue paper in the bottom of your puller. Or any other soft material you feel is adequate.
CZ550
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .243 Win

Post by CZ550 »

Thanks very much for the input - the conscience and saftey aspect has got the better of me now! I must admit, I felt like a naughty kid before the headmaster with that tirade Camel :wink:

I have already done the load development for the new barrel - just accidently loaded some old brass that I had not FLS from before the barrel change over.

Whilst I would love to take the easy route, I will pull the projectiles. As they are V-max pills, I think I will put some foam down the bottom of the puller to avoid damaging the tips.

I hate this job, but would hate myself more if I damaged the gun or myself as a result of being lazy.

Common sense prevails

Regards,

CZ550
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Im glad you decided to go that way,
Im also a bit rattled as I just found out that Im gunna be a granddad for the first time, still a little rattled with that news. :shock:
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Camel wrote:Im glad you decided to go that way,
Im also a bit rattled as I just found out that Im gunna be a granddad for the first time, still a little rattled with that news. :shock:
BEERS ALL ROUND! :D