Thoughts on Magnetospeed from owners

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Thoughts on Magnetospeed from owners

Post by stinkitup »

Hi guys

Would like a chronograph thinking a prochrono or a magnetospeed. Both have there benefits from what I see. The magnetospeed looks the easiest for me as cessnock range can be a little rushed. Can see me shooting a conventional chrony like the procgrono but would be useful with the air rifle as well.

Interested does the magnetospeed affect poi much or groups from users exp?
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Re: Thoughts on Magnetospeed from owners

Post by JasonF »

I was an early adopter of the Magnetospeed, and have one of the first batch. It works well, but the plastic mounting clip was weak and eventually broke. I purchased an aluminium one from MS which works better.

Functionally, the MS is excellent. It records more reliably and consistently than my previous optical chrono (a CED). The point of impact does move slightly, and for some loads the bayonet seems to act like a tuner, so I get better accuracy with the chrono mounted than with out it. I have found that it gives reliable data on speed, but you really need to do accuracy work without it mounted.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Dont have either, have a cheap shootinchrony which isnt reliable at all.

My thoughts:
Any chrony that uses light as a means to test speed is always at the mercy of the conditions. If you shoot from an indoors rest and have lights set up then ok I think this should be fine. But outside no thanks. The MS seems to be the most sound and versatile unit available. Clip on shoot clip off. No setting up diffusers on flimsy rods 3m in front of the shooting line prior to the start of the detail. Im going to invest in a MS2 sometime when the minister of war and finance eases on the hobby funding cutback. Never used to like the idea of chronies for anything more than an idea of speed when figuring out bullet drip. Now I have seen the light as to how quickly they can tell you how your loads are going to be shooting at long range. If anyone in WA has one they are willing to lend out for a week or two I can repay with beverages of choice.
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Get the Magnetospeed, had others, dont waste your time!
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by frakka »

Brad Y wrote: .....when the minister of war and finance eases on the hobby funding cutback.........never used to like the idea of chronies for anything more than an idea of speed when figuring out bullet drop.....
.....or you could shoot at multiple ranges and calculate the velocity in tandem with a manual and JBM, the cost effectiveness of this method would appeal to the Minister of W & F :D
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

Thanks fellas that somes it up nicely. I doubt I would be shooting a new load always for group with the magnetospeed on, maybe a ladder test though. Be good to know what a load is doing once it proves accurate anyway.

Ryan
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

I have not used any other type of chrono. I have found it easy to use and it works well.
When you remember to take the bloody thing with you, i drove an hour and a half to go do some load testing with a mate and left if at bloody home :oops:

Flip
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

lol I think we have all driven to go shooting and forgot something, if we haven't it will happen one day.

Ryan
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

frakka wrote:
Brad Y wrote: .....when the minister of war and finance eases on the hobby funding cutback.........never used to like the idea of chronies for anything more than an idea of speed when figuring out bullet drop.....
.....or you could shoot at multiple ranges and calculate the velocity in tandem with a manual and JBM, the cost effectiveness of this method would appeal to the Minister of W & F :D
I wish mate, dont have access to 1000yds at the farm. Also Ive just cracked a new bottle of powder. Basically I want to know the velocity of the last lot of loads I did before this new powder as they are accurate at long range. If this new powder is faster or slower im more than likely going to need to re tune it. Easier to do with an accurate chrony than guess loads and such.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Flip- dont be embarrassed about that, I once drove a couple of hours for an overnighter trip and left the bolt for the rifle at home. Spotlight duties all night....
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Brad Y wrote:Flip- dont be embarrassed about that, I once drove a couple of hours for an overnighter trip and left the bolt for the rifle at home. Spotlight duties all night....
Yep, just try going for a night rabbit shooting and remembering that the bolt for your work rifle is still sitting on the bench at home. It also happened a couple of times with the door rest that I use. :oops: :oops:
WARTHOG
Favourite Cartridge: .270

Post by WARTHOG »

RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

I tried my Procrono alongside my Magnetospeed crony at Cessnock range. At first the velocities were similar, then when the clouds came over the procrono speeds went down. Once it started to drizzle, the Procrono stopped working while the Magneto speed kept going. Later that night I shot a few more shots with my magnetospeed when it was pitch black, it has never faultered.
If I see you at Cessnock range, my Procrono (my previous favourite) will be for sale cheap.
tiger
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55AI

Post by tiger »

The rifle club that I'm a member of has a Kurzeit IR chronograph, it's not cheap (about $1000+) but you can use it whenever (Infra-Red emitters on one side are pointed at the sensors on the other) and has quite a large sensor area (about 30 x 30cm) I do most of my load development at night here in Canberra using this. I would only do load development through a non-barrel mounted chrony, I use a tuner on my 6.5x55 Ackley, and that system is very effective in making adjustments to groups, so I would not do accuracy testing with anything on the barrel that won't be there when I use the rifle in the manner which it is intended.

I can see a big advantage of the Magnetospeed for when you change powders (new batch) in that you can go out, chrono the performing load with the old powder and then "match" it with the new powder and hopefully have the same performance of the previous load. All without the trouble of setting up a chrono to fire through.

Another situation where it would be useful is if you just want to work up a ballistics table and you need a velocity.

The new Magnetospeed has an adjustable mount to deal with fatter barrels and muzzle breaks etc, if you're going to buy one, that's the one to have.

Cheers.

Dave.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

Thanks Fellas

I am pretty much sold on the magnetospeed, I can see there maybe some short comings eg affecting group poi but for me most of this will be to check a loads velocity and working up some cartridges without manuals for load info.

Tiger, might have to talk 6.5x55AI's with you, just fireforming some in my savage at the moment.

Ryan