Savage Axis

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Bullcat

Savage Axis

Post by Bullcat »

Savage Axis... I see that this rifle is sold between $550 and $650 depending on where you buy it from. It also includes a 3-9x40 Bushnell Scope and a Bag. That seems to be too good to be true. What are they like for a cheap rifle? Are they worth the money?
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Re: Savage Axis

Post by Flip »

I have not delt with that particular rifle,
but you may possibly want to look at a bit more glass to get the most out of that round, I have a 6 - 18 x 40 on my 204 and can see well enough to pick rabbits of at 200 to 250 meters,really easy to pick them up in the grass,and it can be wound back to spotlight with.
It dose depend what you intend to do with it though the 3-9 may suit your needs better than the larger mags. The 3-9 on my HMR dose not give as good as site picture at those ranges on small targets. Just my opinion though and you know what their like,
You could always see if they will up grade the scope in the same package, cant hurt to ask or is one of the factory packages that may make it a bit more difficult.

Still a good buy by the sounds

Happy shopping :D

Flip
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Im pretty sure that Con gets all funny feelings in his groin area about the Savages, he will be in sometime and let you know. :shock: I reckon that they would be a very good entry level rifle, or even for someone on a limited budget.
Puddles
Favourite Cartridge: 17hmr

Post by Puddles »

I purchased an Axis .22-250 for my first rifle as I was on a budget. I put had a cheap Barska scope which I fitted but it didn't last long, I spent the money and bought a Vortex Viper 6-25x44 and its awesome.

The rifle is what you would expect in that price range, the stock is shit but functional. Everything else on it is fine for my needs actually it shoots like a fukn laser with factory ammo if I do my bit, it has now accounted for 10 foxes and numerous rabbits anywhere from 80m to 210m. I am working on a pet load for it now.

They are not as bad as they have been made out to be.

Puddles
Bullcat

Post by Bullcat »

At $540 for a package deal, it was too good to pass by, so Ive taken the plunge and bought one. Later on down the track, I wouldnt mind changing to a better trigger and scope.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Nothing wrong with them, I just preferred the more conventional Stevens200 rifles. Very few complain about them, trigger can be tweaked. No point getting a better trigger, as the price means you could have bought a Howa. You can also barrel swap the Axis quite easily.
Cheers...
Con
1kshot
.204 Ruger

Post by 1kshot »

550 bucks!!! Really how could anyone whinge!!! The one I play with in 308 with a 3-9 nails goats, pigs and has been on one cull. and nails out too 300mtrs all day long unfortunately it likes noslers (flamin expensive) best, but also enjoys hornady 150's and with the hornady's it shoots moa and punches head shots to 200m and into chest cavities to 300m and we haven't tried it out further. I think I posted one of the first shoot's we went out with it, somewhere in the hunting section. Don't expect a Sako etc. but expect to go hunting, shoot stuff and do it well :D :D :D

All the best
John
Bullcat

Post by Bullcat »

Thanks for the replies guys... I dont expect much for that sort of money on a new rifle, but most of the reports that I have read have been really good for a budget rifle. I dont want a show piece, I just want something to throw in the back of the 4wd and be able to shoot straight.