Im now a stall holder at EPIC Farmers Markets in Canberra

Read here often for site updates and other Site related news.
17hmr
.243 Winchester

Re: Im now a stall holder at EPIC Farmers Markets in Canberr

Post by 17hmr »

keep us informed as to whether you set up shop at the woden markets. cant make it on saturdays, but ill be sure to visit on the sunday at woden.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Back from another very successful market on saturday, lots of repeat customers, good comments from people who brought one or two last couple of times. The recipe handouts are a great success, many come and want to know how to cook a rabbit and I gave them a recipe and they say that they may as well get a rabbit or two and give them a go. The stew pot is going to go ahead, thinking of getting a small fan and putting it behind the pot and have it blowing the smells over the crowd, to get a few tummys rumbling. :wink: Have started taking a couple of dozen frozen as well, had a few requests for them, they worked out well.
One bad comment, some bloke came up and whinged a bit that the rabbit he bought last time was tough, asked him how he cooked it and the told me he made a cassarole, but only cooked it for around an hour. Well, no shit batman, I think anything would have been tough if its cooked in a cassarole and only done for an hour. My product cant be too bad if Ive only had one bad comment in around 300 sales.
Went to the Southside market on sunday morning to have a gander, its looking good as well, been told by other stall holders who do both that it may not have as many people through the doors, but they come there to spend their $$$$$$$ and not as a touristy thing, found that at the EPIC markets there are a lot who go just to be "Seen" there, all they do is meet their mates and sit around drinking coffee then leave with nothing in their hands. Have been accepted to set up there, so will be starting on the 6 april, will make the trip really worthwhile.

Hope to see some of you blokes down there one day. Will be back after the Easter break, the easter rabbit kicks me out for that weekend as their is no market. Oh well I spose I can let him have one weekend of the year. :twisted:
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Great stuff mate. So glad to see what you are doing is working.

Now we just need to get the same reaction to Aussie fox pelts and rabbit fur and we might get decent prices for them!
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Yet another unashamedly blatant plug for my rabbit selling enterprise, will be down at the EPIC markets this saturday 6th, unfortunately cant start the Woden market this week, just got ravelled up in another layer of beaurocratic red tape :x , so if anyone wants to say g'day Ill be there. A cup of coffee around 9.30 or so would probably earn some kind punter a free rabbit :wink: :wink:
Hope to catch up with someone from here one of these days.

Mark
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

Great stuff!

I think the casserole pot will be just the thing to get the stomachs rumbling and the saliva flowing.

Marcus
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Yep, forgot to mention that Ill have a stew pot on a little gas cooker going for the first time. Starting the cooking process tonight, just for them to sample is ok, but I cant sell it as food ready to eat. :D
17hmr
.243 Winchester

Post by 17hmr »

camel, the wifeys gonna get down to see you on sat and grab a rabbit, dont think her or her mum appreciated my butchering skills. can you pm me a price and recipe so i can cook one up?
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Good Luck mate I will not be about for our usual cuppa and bullshit session. :(
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

17hmr wrote:camel, the wifeys gonna get down to see you on sat and grab a rabbit, dont think her or her mum appreciated my butchering skills. can you pm me a price and recipe so i can cook one up?

Good stuff mate, make sure that she tells me the secret pass code and Ill do a special for her, if shes one of the first five she'll get 2 for 1, oh what the hell if she comes up and says nice and loud "Ausvarmint" she'll get them anyway.

Just got a pot cooking up now, my version of rabbit in beer, dead easy,

Am using rabbit back straps this time, cut into 1cm thick rounds, you can use legs of any other bits, just means that they take a bit longer to cook, rolled in flour seasoned with a shake of salt, some cracked pepper, a sprinkle of dry mustard powder. Heat about three table spoons olive oil and two table spoons on butter in a cassarole dish, drop the pieces of rabbit in and brown for a couple of minutes, remove rabbit, chuck in a couple of diced onions, get em sizzling, they will lift all the flavours out of the pan, chuck the rabbit bits back in, tip in a stubbby of your favourite beer, cover with a lid and cook in a 180deg oven for around 2 hours. serve it up with whatever you want, rice, vegies pasta, noodles. Its bloody good stuff. If you can get some real fresh French or Italian bread it really soaks up the gravy.

Ive got four receipes for anyone to grab, so she can pick which ever one she wants.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

MISSED wrote:Good Luck mate I will not be about for our usual cuppa and bullshit session. :(
No worries mate, Ill catch up another time.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Wont be able to attend this weekend as planned, compresser shit itself on my chiller trailer, so will be a week or two till I can get back down there. Bugger :(
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Well, its all steam ahead again this weekend, will be down saturday morning, still havent got my crap organised for the sunday marked, been a bit busy, and I hate paperwork. So if anyone is available to drop in, come down and have a yarn. Ive got whole fresh rabbits, frozen whole, casarole packs, carcasses for pet food, and some whole pet food ones.

On another topic, I noticed that I have been promoted from 243 Win, in the rankings, phew I thought that I would be stuck on a cartridge that Im not particularly fond of, and dont even think Ive ever fired one, for that matter. :twisted: :lol:
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

Won't be able to catch up at Yass this weekend either, off to lever action sil nationals with TYB thursday

one day
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Its on again this weekend, will continue with the whole fresh rabbits, some that have been cut up into cassarole packs, so the poor dears dont have to cut it up themselves, got bags and bags of good meaty bones for the pooches, and some whole pet food rabbits.
All invited to drop in and say G'day, have been granted a permentent site now, number 169.
Its getting very hard to get hold of any young rabbits these days, and hopefully with the bit of rain we've had over the last few days, they will start to breed for my next crop. Only managed to get 5 young rabbits out of the 520 I shot last week.

Mark
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Well, Im off down to Canberra again this morning, suppose Ill have to stop at the coffee shop in Yass and have a yarn with the young fella there, might even take the new rifle down so he can have a droole over it, might even let him fondle it for a bit. Drop in and have a yarn if any of you are down there.