Gunblast review of the Ruger 77/17HH - Hornady Hornet

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Re: Gunblast review of the Ruger 77/17HH - Hornady Hornet

Post by johno1 »

A group import on the ruger or the cz would be the way to go for you blokes. I doubt that you will see either rifles, this side of next xmas otherwise

Johno
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

MMM
If you work real hard you might get close to a 17 Ackley Hornet.
Ol 55
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

but with much better brass if the reports are accurate
dave3219
Favourite Cartridge: .22

Post by dave3219 »

Any idea how far away they will be thinking of doing a rebarrel if they are to long
chappo555
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

Gunblast review of the Ruger 77/17HH - Hornady Hornet

Post by chappo555 »

dave3219 wrote:Any idea how far away they will be thinking of doing a rebarrel if they are to long
Not a bad option if u can pick up Ruger in 22H cheap and get a rebarrel. Don't know who's got a reamer yet. Also not sure if the Ruger rotary mag has been modified as the 17HH has less body taper than a 22H.
I'm seriously thinking about it but I keep telling myself I don't REALLY need it.
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

Don't worry about forming 17 Ackley brass I have formed hundreds and never had one split,
I use Remington and my young bloke uses winchester loaded many times still no cracks
I have all the forming dies I will form them for you for a small fee.
I know a bloke in Grafton who has a reamer and has done both our barrels pm me and I will put you onto him.
Ol 55
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

they mean a reamer for the new one. they always change some small dimension when they make a factory round out of a wildcat
glennasher1

Post by glennasher1 »

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... ost7079595

Not exactly a review, except how it's working for one of the posters there :hunting: . Huntsman 22 has been racking up an enviable kill record with his rifle, and most of us haven't even seen one yet. :evil:
Vermingone
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 243 ai

Post by Vermingone »

Good to hear whispers of the CZ in Jan for the U.S.
glennasher1

Post by glennasher1 »

Vermingone wrote:Good to hear whispers of the CZ in Jan for the U.S.

I live in the States. Nearby to Whittaker's (www.whittakerguns.com). I've been saving my pennies, waiting for them to get here. Whittaker's is a large CZ retailer, he carries a LOT of them, so I plan on waiting for them to come in, and then run down there (2.5 hours away) and picking thru them to get some good lumber. He usually orders a truckload worth at a time (not in one chambering, all chamberings). He'll get them as soon as anyone else, hopefully in February or March, and then I'll be set. I've bought some CZs from him, a .204, a .221, and my little rimfire 455. He usually stocks about 7000 guns at any one time, including 60 or 70 Coopers. It's a nice place.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

"It's a nice place"

:shock: :shock: :shock: sounds like the understatement of the millenium to me, 7000 guns in stock, if only in Australia
glennasher1

Post by glennasher1 »

Yeah, but Whittaker's reloading section leaves a lot to be desired, frankly :roll: ......... And his handgun selection is easily bettered right here in town, without the drive. Luckily, Kentucky is "gun friendly" and we don't have to fight and fight in this state, for keeping our rights secure and strong.

Owensboro, where Whittaker's is located, is notable nation-wide for it's BBQ restaurants, so we plan the day around feasting in one of the many places, with the trip to Whittaker's just a side notion to the trip. We usually make a day-long affair of it, since a 2.5 hour drive is a PITA.

All in all, it makes a great day out, though. :D BTW, Whittaker's website sucketh mightily, they could do a lot better job of promoting themselves with a better website.
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

chappo555 wrote:
dave3219 wrote:Any idea how far away they will be thinking of doing a rebarrel if they are to long
Not a bad option if u can pick up Ruger in 22H cheap and get a rebarrel. Don't know who's got a reamer yet. Also not sure if the Ruger rotary mag has been modified as the 17HH has less body taper than a 22H.
I'm seriously thinking about it but I keep telling myself I don't REALLY need it.
I have heard that Sprinter Arms in South Aus has a reamer for the new Hornady Hornet....

Marcus