bought one of these

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
deadkelly
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

bought one of these

Post by deadkelly »

LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Re: bought one of these

Post by LoneRider »

hmm let us know how it goes mate.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

That looks cool, might have to look at some 375 pills for a project I am thinking of doing.

Ryan
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Ummmmmmmm just wondering why you would have a Picaninny rail on a 375 Ruger
fenring

Post by fenring »

With the right mounts it's a good way to be able to swap scopes around if so desired without really stuffing zero around much - and it's not a bad mounting system anyway. As long as the mounting rail isn't hoisted stupidly high and the scope can still mounted as low as possible.
deadkelly
17 Hornet

Post by deadkelly »

mmm can't wait to get behind this power house . would these houge stocks be the same as the ones on the rugers ??? it seems that most reviews say these rifles don't recoil as much you'd expect. i don't know weather that's from good stock design or efficent cartridge design or both . well i'm sure i'll know when she goes off that's for sure , i was just reading about em before with a few max loads with 5000flb energy shooting 1 inch @ 100y & very flat shooting & still has 3700flb @ 300y . if that's true that's a hell of alota gun for under $600. i'm thinking of using a 2-7x33 vx1 or 2 btw .
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

deadkelly,
Same stock, they just inlet differently for Ruger, Howa etc...

Reviewers need to be taken with a grain of salt. Do they a) admit to being recoil sensitive or b) admit it kicks like a banshee and cost rifle sales to their sponsors?

It'll kick like any other 375cal pushing a 300gr at those speeds. If it seems mild its probably because your well suited to the stock design, if your not ... it'll be a bit livelier. :lol:

2-7x scope ... spot on!
Cheers...
Con
500Nitro
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

A 375 for under $600, not a bad pick up.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

deadkelly wrote:mmm can't wait to get behind this power house . would these houge stocks be the same as the ones on the rugers ??? it seems that most reviews say these rifles don't recoil as much you'd expect. i don't know weather that's from good stock design or efficent cartridge design or both . well i'm sure i'll know when she goes off that's for sure , i was just reading about em before with a few max loads with 5000flb energy shooting 1 inch @ 100y & very flat shooting & still has 3700flb @ 300y . if that's true that's a hell of alota gun for under $600. i'm thinking of using a 2-7x33 vx1 or 2 btw .
Hi DK,

I'm running one of these stocks on a 7mm-08 ultralight, and for a lightweight rifle (<3.6kg scoped) it doesn't kick much, even loaded up for silho rams. I realise 7-08 recoil is pussy compared to a .375, but the pads are good, and if you......

a) take the pad off, you can load up inside the stock's butt with stick solder wrapped in rag
b) cut short lengths of stick solder and silastic them into the hollows in the forearm (once the action is out of the stock)....

.....you can balance them up at any weight you like, and reduce the felt recoil even more. Mine feels real good now I've set it up, and the recoil is stuff all to bother me. And stick solder is cheaper than a "muletamer" or other recoil reducer. :wink:

Good price on that rifle, and I hope you get heaps of fun out of it.

cheers, curan
deadkelly
17 Hornet

Post by deadkelly »

hey guy's i've been away for a while. well i range tested my howa 375 yesterday & loved it . wow that stock really tame's this rifle . felt recoil on the shoulder is next to nothing honestly . my mlr 308 seems be sharper on the shoulder . saying that there is a fair muzzle rise & it comes back very fast . yes my nose has a nice bump on it & the scope touched me a few times ( but no cuts lol ) but that had more to do with the crapy arctic fox scopes eye relief . the eye relief was only about 2" , i mounted it as far forward as i could before the black was getting in the road of a clear sight picture . no where near enough . i'll also say that the 30mm tubed 2-7 arctic fox only lasted 4 shots before i had 3 horizontal crosshairs :mrgreen: . before anybody says " i already had the scope sitting around " although it had never been mounted before i knew it was no match for the 375. i thought i'd get a few more shots out of it though. i used the 270gr hornady ammo at $100 a box :shock: . over all it feeds & ejects fine no flaws of any kind . i will mention the forend has a wee bit of flex in it but it's not really a bench or bipod type of rifle . so for practical large game hunting or culling rifle it seems like a good funtional tool . open sights or good 2-7 scope would be ideal . i do not think this rifle needs a muzzle brake at all . all in all i did have to be carefull of the very short eye relief scope i was using , other than that very happy cheers guy's .
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

bought one of these

Post by GriMo »

I was hoping your review would make me want this less... Unfortunately you have let me down
deadkelly
17 Hornet

Post by deadkelly »

I was hoping your review would make me want this less... Unfortunately you have let me down

hey grimo i'll let you down a little bit more howa makes these in stainless & as well as 24" & 20" . they don't come with open sights but they are drilled & tapped for scope bases & for open sights . i haven't found the open sights yet mate but i think this rifle suits a decent scope . with the lighter bullets this round is similar to the 338 l a p & some loads exceede the l a p u a if using same length barrel . the 260gr accubonds would make a great sambar round . also the muzzle bast is a bit deeper than the 308 but noise level is about the same . this rifle of mine is easy capable of moa i only fired 5 sighting shots & shot 3&4 are touching & 5 shot i shifted the point of aim & had 3 crosshairs covering the bull but still hit it . cleaver & rebel gun works are stocking ammo brass & dies ect . savage is making rifles in 375 ruger as well . the 20" barrel seems to be all the rage . i'll end up loading up some 375 win flat points & tryem out on the piggy's & goats just for the hell of it , i'm sure they'll work :mrgreen: .