1981 Sheridan Blue Streak refurb and refresh

fenring

1981 Sheridan Blue Streak refurb and refresh

Post by fenring »

I got this Sheridan Blue Streak a bit over a year ago I guess and by and large it was in fairly good nick for a gun it's age. The owner clearly looked after it as it came with the original manual. The stock had some sort of varnish stain on it and I decided recently that I's trip it back and apply an oil finish.

Here it is as I got it. These guns are made of a brass alloy and the had wear you can see shows the brass metal under the Ebonal C finish these guns were given. As I understand it, brass black can be used to touch them up. This could well be on the menu. :)

And with a 4x32 Simmons pistol scope sitting on Crosman mounts and in Weaver Grand Slam rings - the lowest 3/8" rings you can get. As you can see, the scope sits too high thanks to the design of the Crosman bases. It does work well otherwise and allows correct hand position for pumping of the rifle. These rifles were never really intended to have a scope on them, just the factory rearsight or a Williams peep. But they can be very accurate and a scope lets them reach full potential.

Getting the stock off one of these involves removing one screw in front of the trigger guard. From there you need to close the spread ears of the two split pins used to hold the trigger guard on. I don't like these pins!

The fore end / pump handle is held on by two roll pins which need to be pressed out. I'm not a real fan of these either, TBH.

Anyway, with the stock off it was time to get to work.

I scraped the old finish off with a sharp knife and got to work with the sandpaper. My finishing sand was with 320 grit and then polished with 000 steel wool. The usual dampening and resanding was done a few times.

The timber on these old guns is American walnut and some have superb wood while some have no figure. Mine had some figure in it but nothing like some others I've seen.

I applied a thinned coat of an oil based jarrah stain to add a reddish brown tinge as the base timber was lighter than I prefer.

Here is the stock with the stain and a coat of 50/50 boiled linseed / turps mix.

fenring

Re: 1981 Sheridan Blue Streak refurb and refresh

Post by fenring »

The stock got about half a dozen coats of the BLO / turps mix and I paid attention to the fore end to get it to match the colour of the butt section - many of these rifles will have lighter wood up front. I decided to replace the trigger guard rivets with screws, and while not as flush fitting or dainty there's less hammering to get them fixed again and they are much easier to get out of course.

The stock has come up pretty much as I wanted it to, and I finished off by buffing in some orange oil that Lewis kindly sent to me.

I have also added an Integrabase 'S' which is made by Greg Lundy of Ballistic Enterprises in the US. This base uses a double shim with friction coating and four grub screws either side to attach. The base will accept either 3/8" rings or Weaver style rings. I'm waiting on some low Weaver Top Mount rings which will drop the scope down as low as it will go. You can of course position this mount anywhere along the barrel so a red dot can be mounted forward or aft. Greg also makes a mount that clamps over the breech area for conventional mounting. I am VERY happy with this mount and the speed with which Greg delivered it.

Overall I'm well and truly chuffed with how the old girl has come up.

For those wondering, my Blue Streak can churn out around 13.5ft/lbs at full whack. On five pumps it will shoot right through an Indian myna while barely making a "pop".

These are great old American made classic pumpers - all I need now is a vintage Silver Streak (nickel finish) to sit beside it. :D
Chrispy
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 221 Furball

Post by Chrispy »

Nice work Fenring.
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Post by daisy »

very nice :mrgreen:
fenring

Post by fenring »

Thanks guys.
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

that would look awesome with a polished brass barrel and other bits left black.
lovely wood fen.
fenring

Post by fenring »

Thanks mate.

I have seen a pic of a Streak that was stripped and the whole lot polished. BLING! :lol:
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

to much polished brass wouldnt look as good i think.
Toggle
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Toggle »

Nice work.The scope mount is ideal.
fenring

Post by fenring »

Here's the result using low Weaver Top mount rings - some of the lowest around and just about perfect.

I'm very happy with this and can now mount the rifle with no neck craning or searching for the scope reticle.

Greg's mount is excellent.
McDave
Favourite Cartridge: .22

Post by McDave »

looks great Fen. worth the time and effort.

D.
garyd81
Favourite Cartridge: .222

Post by garyd81 »

I have one of these old girls sitting in the safe that has seen better days and I think you have inspired me to give it a make over. My grandfather bought it for me as a kid and its what i learned to shoot with so it has all of the knocks and scratches associated with 20+ years of abuse. My only problem is it seems to leak air. If it is pumped up you have to fire it within a minute or so or it looses its charge. Does anyone know if seals are available for them?

Gary
fenring

Post by fenring »

garyd81
Favourite Cartridge: .222

Post by garyd81 »

Thanks,

Very much apreciated

Gary