need a smith who knows m92 levers .

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
deadkelly
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

need a smith who knows m92 levers .

Post by deadkelly »

guy's i have a rossi puma m92 in 454 casull . it will not feed . been back 3 times for warrenty still no better . i really want this rifle / cartridge combo for my close in work horse . anybody know of a western action guy or winchester lever action guru .
Con
.308 Winchester

Re: need a smith who knows m92 levers .

Post by Con »

Give Jim Kent a call at Buffalo Gunsmithing. Warranty work is rarely paid well, hence jobs get done with a view to quick turnaround. Often pays to open the wallet, or after 3 attempts, declare your purchase unfit for service and seek a replacement.

Now, I've been lookong into these 454s and they seem sensitive to COL, you shooting factory or reloads?
Cheers...
Con
deadkelly
17 Hornet

Post by deadkelly »

factory . speer 300 gr gold dot , winchester 250 gr . it doesn't feed factory 45 lc ether .
i bought 200 gr & 250 gr hndy flextip .452 but there far to long even in the colt case . if i were to do it again i would like to buy one from stevezguns in the usa . he is the rossi m92 man , has sights , big loops , tune up dvd & much more .
deadkelly
17 Hornet

Post by deadkelly »

btw
1st rifle had a spilt stock wrist . was replaced with a new rifle .
2nd was new replacement that felt super slick & trigger really light but wouldn't pick up a cartridge from the mag .
3rd done something to 2nd rifle but still wouldn't feed
4th my 1st barrelled action was sent back with new stock . and it don't work ether :roll: . i don't want to stuff around anymore . i want to make it how it should be .
deadkelly
17 Hornet

Post by deadkelly »

ok just had look at the rossi . there was a screw backed out of the receiver (left lever screw i think ? ) i done it up & had a good look at how it feeds . there's some awkard angles & it really looks like the 454 max's out the col . i just dug out & broke off some burrs off the barrel / receiver threads ( but that wasn't casing the jam ) . after looking at the marks left by the jams it looks so close to going in , so i forced past the jam & it went . so if i use extream force & speed 3-4 out of 5 will feed now . this gives me some hope now . looks like a good smooth out & slick up job & the right bullet nose/tip shape & over all length may play a big part in reliable funtion ???
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

deadkelly wrote:ok just had look at the rossi . there was a screw backed out of the receiver (left lever screw i think ? ) i done it up & had a good look at how it feeds . there's some awkard angles & it really looks like the 454 max's out the col . i just dug out & broke off some burrs off the barrel / receiver threads ( but that wasn't casing the jam ) . after looking at the marks left by the jams it looks so close to going in , so i forced past the jam & it went . so if i use extream force & speed 3-4 out of 5 will feed now . this gives me some hope now . looks like a good smooth out & slick up job & the right bullet nose/tip shape & over all length may play a big part in reliable funtion ???
Hi DK,

I don't know if it's of much use to you, but here's a link to a site I was reading recently, and remembered this reference to tuning a Rossi 92.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Rossitune.htm

Hope it helps, curan.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

Whoops, there was another link I should have added, specifically on feeding probs.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Ros ... _guide.htm

cheers, curan
deadkelly
17 Hornet

Post by deadkelly »

thanks curan . i have my rossi feeding now only because i'm slamming it home . but have been doing alot of reading about the rossi " feeding issues " well the main reason i haven't pulled it all down is i have never pulled one down before . but have now seen a few you tube vids . it seems that if i do a tare down & good clean , sand & polish & maybe a bit of fine file work & spring change or 3 , replace plastic mag follower with steel one & abit of attention to the barrel channel she should be flying . thats alot of sugar to make it sweet as far as i'm concerned . rossi should have it sorted from the get go .
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

deadkelly wrote:...... rossi should have it sorted from the get go .....
Yeah, simply the fact I had seen an article dedicated solely to the issue suggests it is endemic from new........

Something I learnt in a lot of years as a fitter is;

The bigger the headf**k, the bigger the sense of achievement when you finally nail it!

But that knowledge isn't a lot of use when you're pulling your hair out by the roots :wink:

Good luck with it DK.

regards, curan
deadkelly
17 Hornet

Post by deadkelly »

ok i have pulled my rossi down as far as i wanta go just now & cleaned it with wd40 & it's been cycled now over a 1000 times . feeding so much better , but is still very ruff on the case rims . i have a stevesgunz rossi 92 dvd on the way with a new extractor spring , steel mag follower , & weaver 4x scout scope on the way from the USA . there's also a very good site called rossiriflemen.com . that site has all anyone needs to know about all the rossi's .
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

I know little about Rossi's and generally not much about levers but....

My IAC 1887 is also very rough on the case rims. In fact, some dummy rounds I made were quickly chewed up after a few cycles. Lucky for me 12G is cheap and I don't reload.

The one problem I hear most about with levers (particularly the IAC 1887) is that the ejectors and springs are commonly the root cause of feed/eject problems. Having said that, I'm happy with my IAC and don't plan to do any mods unless I hand it to a trustworthy 'expert'.